Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I cant find any settings in safari,i have mbp 13 with 128 flash and i dont want to download files to flash memory i will do it instead to usb 3.0 kingstone usb flash drive but there is no option in safari for that all goes to downloads folder,or should i switch to other browser like chrome?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I cant find any settings in safari,i have mbp 13 with 128 flash and i dont want to download files to flash memory i will do it instead to usb 3.0 kingstone usb flash drive but there is no option in safari for that all goes to downloads folder,or should i switch to other browser like chrome?
Safari > Preferences > General > Save downloaded files to:
ScreenCap 2013-03-02 at Sat, Mar 2,11.42.56 AM .PNG

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012

Thanks,have one more problem,i insert 2 usb flash drives in order to copy content from one to another,since i switch first time after 20 years from windows i just cant find how i can delete files from a usb flash drive there is no option delete just copy even cut is disabled

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK

The above would work, but you could also do some terminal tricky to make the Mac think the downloads folder is actually on the USB memory stick. I can walk you through it if you wish?

Would mean that the all instances where your Mac downloads something would go to the USB drive.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks,have one more problem,i insert 2 usb flash drives in order to copy content from one to another,since i switch first time after 20 years from windows i just cant find how i can delete files from a usb flash drive there is no option delete just copy even cut is disabled
The flash drives are likely formatted as NTFS. Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
The flash drives are likely formatted as NTFS. Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X

[*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X,
    here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

Thanks for very quick reply,i want to do this i want to use kingstone usb flash drive 3.0 for all downloads from browsvers and torrent downloaded from qtorrent so i cant do that unless i format usb flash drive with your method?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for very quick reply,i want to do this i want to use kingstone usb flash drive 3.0 for all downloads from browsvers and torrent downloaded from qtorrent so i cant do that unless i format usb flash drive with your method?
If you only use the drive with your Mac and not Windows, format it as HFS+.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Ok lets clarify,at this moment i will be using mac os x and in order to get read/write from browsver and qtorrent i need paragon to format it like you explain me very well in previous post,what about external hard drives? i have 1tb external hard drive toshiba which is ntsf and i have a bunch important files there so when i plug that external drive can i copy files to macbook harddrive or not? (I know i cant manage that files on toshiba due ntfs read only system)

----------

My bad i cant copy such a big files to 128gb flash drive,uf this is gonna be problem

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok lets clarify,at this moment i will be using mac os x and in order to get read/write from browsver and qtorrent i need paragon to format it like you explain me very well in previous post,what about external hard drives? i have 1tb external hard drive toshiba which is ntsf and i have a bunch important files there so when i plug that external drive can i copy files to macbook harddrive or not? (I know i cant manage that files on toshiba due ntfs read only system)

----------

My bad i cant copy such a big files to 128gb flash drive,uf this is gonna be problem
If you're using any drive (internal or external or Flash drive) exclusively with Mac OS X, it should be formatted HFS+. If you have existing data on an NTFS drive, you can copy that data to your Mac, then reformat the drive as HFS+, then copy the data back to the drive.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I cant copy big files to mac drive since its ssd and its not good for ssd life, ok for start i will redirect all downloads from safari and qtorrent to usb flash which i will probably format with paragon from your first reply for external hard drives i need to figure out something else

----------

So basicly if i format usb flash to hfs+ and if i give that formated drive someone who is using windows would that person will be able to copy files to his hard drive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I cant copy big files to mac drive since its ssd and its not good for ssd life, ok fSo basicly if i format usb flash to hfs+ and if i give that formated drive someone who is using windows would that person will be able to copy files to his hard drive?
No, Windows cannot read or write HFS+ drives without a 3rd party app such as MacDrive, as stated in post #7.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Aha, so i need to format first to hfs+ and then to install macdrive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Aha, so i need to format first to hfs+ and then to install macdrive?
You can read/write/format drives in HFS+ format from your Mac with no other software needed. You can read/write HFS+ formatted drives from Windows if you install MacDrive on Windows. It doesn't matter what order you do them.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I understand now, even if i make a dual boot on my mac with os x and windows when i boot to windows i still need to install macdrive in order to acess files on usb or external hdd, ok the best way is to format usb/hdd is from disk utillity in mac or i still need paragon?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I understand now, even if i make a dual boot on my mac with os x and windows when i boot to windows i still need to install macdrive in order to acess files on usb or external hdd, ok the best way is to format usb/hdd is from disk utillity in mac or i still need paragon?
You only need Paragon if you intend to write/format a drive as NTFS from Mac OS X. I encourage you to re-read the two posts I made earlier on NTFS and HFS+, including all bullet points. If you take your time and read them, it should all be clear to you.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I think i understand now,because i will sometimes use windows too,i will keep my all drives ntfs and i just need to format them in paragon for mac to be able to read/write correct me if i did understand well now

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think i understand now,because i will sometimes use windows too,i will keep my all drives ntfs and i just need to format them in paragon for mac to be able to read/write correct me if i did understand well now
You got it.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Hm ok,i formated one drive to mac os extended journaled in disk utillities and after i was be able to manage files on that drive normaly,after i install paragon and insert a second drive into usb (ntfs) i was be able to manage files from ntfs drive too,so i made mistake formating the first drive because first drive is not anymore ntfs i supposed just install paragon first and i would be able to read/write both ntfs drives in mac right? So now if i insert first drive into windows it wont be recognize because its mac os x juornaled unless i install on windows macdrive right?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hm ok,i formated one drive to mac os extended journaled in disk utillities and after i was be able to manage files on that drive normaly,after i install paragon and insert a second drive into usb (ntfs) i was be able to manage files from ntfs drive too,so i made mistake formating the first drive because first drive is not anymore ntfs i supposed just install paragon first and i would be able to read/write both ntfs drives in mac right? So now if i insert first drive into windows it wont be recognize because its mac os x juornaled unless i install on windows macdrive right?

Correct.

vigorito

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Now my next step is installing win 7, does bootkamp supPorts installing from usb flash?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.