Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Hail Caesar
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
How Big is your digital movie collection in iTunes?

I have over a hundred movies, slowly curating it. Adding some deleting others, truly trying to obtain the most diverse collection. TV shows i have quite a few too, almost a 1000 episodes, Sopranos, Rome, Lost, Heroes, etc. How you rolling?
Hail Caesar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Who has the largest Media Library?? Time to show it off!!!
Largest iTunes Library?
biggest itunes movie library thread
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
MarkG21
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I have 238 HD movies from blu rays. Almost 980 GB.

I have 23 different TV shows for 975 GB.

Just under 2 TB of video.
MarkG21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Hail Caesar
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I guess you make your rounds to give us this wealth of info, you are in the other threads doing the same thing, while not providing any info relevant to your collection. But again i thank you.
Hail Caesar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
I guess you make your rounds to give us this wealth of info, you are in the other threads doing the same thing, while not providing any info relevant to your collection. But again i thank you.
I just posted other threads that contain information related to your question that you may not be aware of. Use them or don't.

From the Forum Rules:
Quote:
The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a relevant thread
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 07:44 PM   #6
GarrettL1979
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I just posted other threads that contain information related to your question that you may not be aware of. Use them or don't.
Yeah, the OP should have done a search, but it probably would have been less antagonistic had you posted this ^ initially along with the links.
GarrettL1979 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
cdavis11
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I have a handful of home videos of my kids, and about a dozen movies I couldn't bear to part with.

I record TV shows with eyetv every week and delete them when watched.

Everything else is in the cloud, and I'm vry happy with that. I'm able to simplify things quite a bit that way.
cdavis11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:08 PM   #8
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Why?

Hoarding digital media is stupid.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:10 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Why?
Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Hoarding digital media is stupid.
Care to attempt justify your baseless comment?
GGJstudios is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:35 PM   #10
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Why not?

Care to attempt justify your baseless comment?
Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries? How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?

It's analogous to hoarding stuff in real life (also called "collecting" by those in denial). It's always a waste of time.

When I want to watch something, I rent it and watch it. Cheaper in the long run, both in terms of money and time.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:45 PM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries?
It may be for you, but not for everyone else. For example, I've invested 10+ years and thousands of hours building and refining my music library, and it's well worth it to me. Building the movie library has been much less time consuming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?
Of course, you're making assumptions about the watching habits of others, which are not all the same. For example, I have several hundred movies, along with TV shows and other videos. I watch them quite frequently, or I wouldn't have bought them. I don't buy a movie if I intend to watch it only once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
It's analogous to hoarding stuff in real life (also called "collecting" by those in denial). It's always a waste of time.
That is false. Some may consider it a waste of time to play golf or spend time on an internet forum, or watch football games, etc. For others, it's a pastime or hobby that is entertaining. Just because it's a waste of time in your mind doesn't make it true for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
When I want to watch something, I rent it and watch it. Cheaper in the long run, both in terms of money and time.
If you only watch a movie once, that obviously works for you. For those who watch media multiple times, renting is more expensive.
GGJstudios is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:24 PM   #12
Hail Caesar
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries? How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?

It's analogous to hoarding stuff in real life (also called "collecting" by those in denial). It's always a waste of time.

When I want to watch something, I rent it and watch it. Cheaper in the long run, both in terms of money and time.
Your way obviously works for you. I like to watch and collect digital media from what I deem worthy of possession, I don't have a large physical collection anymore. The TV show collections that I have I tend to watch ever couple of years or so, same with my movies. Music is timeless and you can never have to much. Money isn't a concern for me, maybe it's your situation that it is and that's why renting works for you.

Different doesn't mean wrong, just means we are different. You may have stumbled into this thread on accident.
Hail Caesar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 11:43 PM   #13
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Caesar View Post
Your way obviously works for you. I like to watch and collect digital media from what I deem worthy of possession, I don't have a large physical collection anymore. The TV show collections that I have I tend to watch ever couple of years or so, same with my movies. Music is timeless and you can never have to much. Money isn't a concern for me, maybe it's your situation that it is and that's why renting works for you.

Different doesn't mean wrong, just means we are different. You may have stumbled into this thread on accident.
It has nothing to do with money. Just time. People waste so much of it maintaining these digital libraries! I'll be honest, I think you're lying about watching your TV shows every few years. I think you plan on doing that but never actually get around to it. That's how it is 99% of the time with digital media hoarders. They love to build "collections" because adding a new asset gives them a dopamine hit. It's a temporary happiness that is quickly replaced by the need to find the next acquisition. The compulsion one feels to collect stuff -- digital or non-digital -- is a disease.

Oh well. Carry on, I guess.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3

Last edited by NMF; Mar 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM.
NMF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:00 AM   #14
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Zealand
I buy iTunes movies and TV show pilots to be able to play on flights and places I go who have poor or costly or even no broadband. I don't have pay TV so the money we save pays for what ever we buy over a month on iTunes. I hate going to the movies and having people talk or eating out of plastic bags or kicking the back of my seat.

----------

Don't leave you movies in the cloud as you could loose some due to the movie studios cancelling the lease of the movie to you. Make sure and download all movies and store them.
KiwiAdventure is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 06:06 AM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
People waste so much of it maintaining these digital libraries!
Again, it's only your opinion that it's a waste of time. For those who appreciate music and movies and play them often, it's certainly not a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I'll be honest, I think you're lying about watching your TV shows every few years. I think you plan on doing that but never actually get around to it.
I'll be honest, I'm positive that you have absolutely no idea what the OP or others watch or don't watch or how often. Your posts are filled with opinion and assumption with no basis in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
That's how it is 99% of the time with digital media hoarders.
Post a link to the independent survey where you got this assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
They love to build "collections" because adding a new asset gives them a dopamine hit. It's a temporary happiness that is quickly replaced by the need to find the next acquisition. The compulsion one feels to collect stuff -- digital or non-digital -- is a disease.
So now, in addition to knowing the watching habits of complete strangers, you also can psychoanalyze them without ever meeting them. Such superpowers you have!

Sorry, but you can't force the world to conform to your inaccurate perception of it or make people adjust their likes, dislikes, values and habits based on your individual preferences and opinion. People are different. Get used to it.
GGJstudios is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 07:38 AM   #16
Hail Caesar
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I have to agree with GGJ, on another note this thread is no longer worth the time because it got derailed by nonsense from another user without meaningful contribution other than assuming his/her way should be everyone's way. Thank you to those the participated in a positive way!
Hail Caesar is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:38 PM   #17
ctyrider
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I'll be honest, I'm positive that you have absolutely no idea what the OP or others watch or don't watch or how often. Your posts are filled with opinion and assumption with no basis in fact.
Obviously, NMF is generalizing, and obviously (as is the case with any generalization) - there are exceptions. You and OP may well be those exceptions.

However, I do think NMF is on to something.. Particularly when it comes to movies. I probably have over 500 movies in my iTunes media library. It doesn't cost me much to have all these movies available at my fingertips - storage is cheap and plentiful these days. However, the number of movies I have watched more than once is a handful. There are simply not enough free hours in my week to re-watch movies. I currently have a queue of about 8 unmatched movies, so I have to make a choice whether to watch something new.. Or a repeat of something I have already seen. The new always wins.

Movies and music are completely different animals when it comes to "replay value". Music is something I will happily play and replay again. Music listening is also a much more passive experience. I certainly see a lot more value in a well curated music collection as opposed to video.
__________________
MacBook Air 2013 i7 1.7GHz 8GB 256GB SSD | 2x 27" Thunderbolt Displays | iPad Air 64GB LTE
ctyrider is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:16 AM   #18
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
There is a "hoarder" or "mine is bigger than yours" aspect to movie collections. I am guilty of it. I keep it under control by having 2-2TB drives and that is all I am going to have (at least for a long while). One drive stores my archive mkv's (max out around 120 files) and the other the mp4's (max out around 700 files). Once they get filled, I will start deleting files I never re-watch. Obviously, the mp4 drive will hold alot more files than the mkv drive, so pruning the mkv drive will happen sooner. But there are really only a handful of movies worth archiving at full dvd/BR file size.

Everyone has a different way of approaching movie libraries and there is no right or wrong approach. You can save everything, save nothing or, do what I did, and find a place in the middle.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; AE; TV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:42 AM   #19
bushido
macrumors 601
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
i have 6TB of tv show episodes. it took me over a year to realize that one of my hdds was broken ... which also made me realize that its indeed a bit silly to keep it all but i just cant press the delete button
__________________
¡No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio!
bushido is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:01 PM   #20
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i have 6TB of tv show episodes. it took me over a year to realize that one of my hdds was broken ... which also made me realize that its indeed a bit silly to keep it all but i just cant press the delete button
Now...that's a funny story! lol
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; AE; TV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
whoiare
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
Obviously, NMF is generalizing, and obviously (as is the case with any generalization) - there are exceptions. You and OP may well be those exceptions.

However, I do think NMF is on to something.. Particularly when it comes to movies. I probably have over 500 movies in my iTunes media library. It doesn't cost me much to have all these movies available at my fingertips - storage is cheap and plentiful these days. However, the number of movies I have watched more than once is a handful. There are simply not enough free hours in my week to re-watch movies. I currently have a queue of about 8 unmatched movies, so I have to make a choice whether to watch something new.. Or a repeat of something I have already seen. The new always wins.

Movies and music are completely different animals when it comes to "replay value". Music is something I will happily play and replay again. Music listening is also a much more passive experience. I certainly see a lot more value in a well curated music collection as opposed to video.

id have to agree.....even though NMF came off in a negative light( and we all know how that is handled on this forum) he is probably a lot more correct than most people would admit. i currently have over 1000 movies, i maybe watch 3 TOPS a week. This is on top of all the TV shows i also have that release new episodes each week. Even if i watched the episodes that week i still save the episode to my drive. Whenever we get together at my house to watch a movie...its always from the recently added section. and once that is watch it may never get watched again. There are only a handful of movies that ill rewatch and even less tv shows. Yet, i like seeing all the movies and shows i own on the screen when people come over for that WOW factor.
whoiare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:48 PM   #22
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
Waste of time. How many hours are wasted "curating" these digital libraries? How many of the files are actually watched more than once? The OP mentioned he had over 1,000 episodes of TV shows. How many of those do you plan on watching a second time, OP? Probably not many. Why keep them then?

It's analogous to hoarding stuff in real life (also called "collecting" by those in denial). It's always a waste of time.

When I want to watch something, I rent it and watch it. Cheaper in the long run, both in terms of money and time.



agreed if its not something you would watch more than once delete it, I often delete movies I did not like from my collection

I have 400 some odd movies all onces I either have not had time to watch yet or enjoy enough I would watch again

a digital collection is no different than having a bookself full of dvd cases
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:04 PM   #23
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by heisenberg123 View Post


a digital collection is no different than having a bookself full of dvd cases
No...it's easier to toss a digital file than throw out a dvd case. I never could through out a disc. That's why I went digital, no physical connection.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; AE; TV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:38 PM   #24
NMF
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I'm glad to see some of you are coming around. The first step is acceptance.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" (2013) Mac mini (2011) OS X Server + Drobo 5D
AirPort Time Capsule (2013) iPhone 5 TV 3
NMF is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:43 PM   #25
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
I'm glad to see some of you are coming around. The first step is acceptance.
I don't archive movies for myself though. Being Sans cable, but with a little one at home, our babysitters/nannies need something to watch. Not to mention when we have guests stay at our house, they have full access to all the shows/movies they want without hogging the internet bandwidth with netflix and hulu+ (I have those services as well, but more than couple streams and my broadband can't keep up).
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Authorizing a Digital Download Movie through iTunes Slip Jigs iCloud and Apple Services 3 Jul 7, 2013 10:37 AM
Upload Movie Collection Online? blairh Apple TV and Home Theater 30 Apr 23, 2013 10:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC