Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'm curious to get some other's opinions/experiences with regards to the touch sensitivity of the iPad Mini. First, a little background.

I had an iPad 3 shortly after they came out last year and used a stylus with it almost as soon as I got it. It was a very pleasant experience, and remember being pretty impressed by how well it actually did work. The stylus I was using was the Wacom Bamboo--a pretty well received and reviewed stylus on the whole.

I haven't had an iPad for probably 8 months now, and I got a Mini a few weeks ago. I finally went and got a stylus to use with my iPad Mini this week. I kind of cheaped out at first and picked up a $15 Targus stylus from Target. It felt horrible though--you had to press fairly firmly on the screen to get it to register, drawing or writing with it felt horribly imprecise, and it didn't register faint touches very well(similar to the motion you might make when swiping between pages on the home screen). I immediately chalked it up to a cheap stylus and exchanged it for a Bamboo stylus like what I had originally.

But much to my surprise, even with the Bamboo, there is very little to no change in how it performs. Doing a quick Google search yields a few Apple Community posts about poor stylus performance on the iPad Mini, and some speculation that it has to do with the accidental touch avoidance mechanism that's used on the Mini. There was also some speculation that the "micro knit" capacitive material stylus products work better, but nothing concrete.

I feel like it's not just the stylus though. My fingers generally work pretty well, but it feels like I'm having to tap things an extra time or two here and there that I don't ever recall doing with any of the other iPads I've owned in the past. All past iPads have been responsive enough to the point where I didn't even think about it, but I'm clearly noticing it here.

A few specific examples. Swiping to change home screens occasionally doesn't seem to want to register correctly using a finger. This is one is especially noticable with the stylus too. Also, the "X" to delete text from the search box in the App Store is virtually impossible to actually touch.

So what's everyone else's experience with touch sensitivity on the iPad Mini? Am I crazy? Does it have to do with the accidental touch avoidance Apple added to the Mini? Bum iPad? Horrible luck with styli? :)

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I'm curious to get some other's opinions/experiences with regards to the touch sensitivity of the iPad Mini. First, a little background.

I had an iPad 3 shortly after they came out last year and used a stylus with it almost as soon as I got it. It was a very pleasant experience, and remember being pretty impressed by how well it actually did work. The stylus I was using was the Wacom Bamboo--a pretty well received and reviewed stylus on the whole.

I haven't had an iPad for probably 8 months now, and I got a Mini a few weeks ago. I finally went and got a stylus to use with my iPad Mini this week. I kind of cheaped out at first and picked up a $15 Targus stylus from Target. It felt horrible though--you had to press fairly firmly on the screen to get it to register, drawing or writing with it felt horribly imprecise, and it didn't register faint touches very well(similar to the motion you might make when swiping between pages on the home screen). I immediately chalked it up to a cheap stylus and exchanged it for a Bamboo stylus like what I had originally.

But much to my surprise, even with the Bamboo, there is very little to no change in how it performs. Doing a quick Google search yields a few Apple Community posts about poor stylus performance on the iPad Mini, and some speculation that it has to do with the accidental touch avoidance mechanism that's used on the Mini. There was also some speculation that the "micro knit" capacitive material stylus products work better, but nothing concrete.

I feel like it's not just the stylus though. My fingers generally work pretty well, but it feels like I'm having to tap things an extra time or two here and there that I don't ever recall doing with any of the other iPads I've owned in the past. All past iPads have been responsive enough to the point where I didn't even think about it, but I'm clearly noticing it here.

A few specific examples. Swiping to change home screens occasionally doesn't seem to want to register correctly using a finger. This is one is especially noticable with the stylus too. Also, the "X" to delete text from the search box in the App Store is virtually impossible to actually touch.

So what's everyone else's experience with touch sensitivity on the iPad Mini? Am I crazy? Does it have to do with the accidental touch avoidance Apple added to the Mini? Bum iPad? Horrible luck with styli? :)

NEWSFLASH!!!! iOS devices don't require a stylus,,,,the finger came first! Ditch it then update your post.
The X in the App Store search is rather small to touch if you have big fingers...hopefully this will change in iOS 7. Otherwise, the Mini is as responsive as any other device.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Also, the "X" to delete text from the search box in the App Store is virtually impossible to actually touch.

I have difficulty with this too and I have 'girl' fingers. But I think it's because you're aiming at a tiny target (little X).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can't comment on stylus sensitivity as I don't use them, but I do find myself often having to tap twice on the mini before it'll register. I've thought it has to do with smaller tap targets, though. It hadn't occurred to me that the mini screen in general might be less sensitive than the regular iPad.

As for touch rejection, for me, it doesn't always work. I'd be reading in iBooks and all of a sudden the pages will flip a few pages ahead or back, and I'd look down and sure enough, my thumb has slipped over the edge of the screen. :(

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Also, the "X" to delete text from the search box in the App Store is virtually impossible to actually touch.

I have difficulty with this too and I have 'girl' fingers. But I think it's because you're aiming at a tiny target (little X).
Yeah, I've been looking around a bit more and found a few posts on here actually with several people mentioning this. Seems it's a common complaint (and probably is because it's such a small target). Thinking about it some more, I actually have similar problems with a touch target on the iPhone. In the Calendar app, the box in the bottom right that you tap to bring up calendar invites is pretty tricky for me to get usually too.
Can't comment on stylus sensitivity as I don't use them, but I do find myself often having to tap twice on the mini before it'll register. I've thought it has to do with smaller tap targets, though. It hadn't occurred to me that the mini screen in general might be less sensitive than the regular iPad.

As for touch rejection, for me, it doesn't always work. I'd be reading in iBooks and all of a sudden the pages will flip a few pages ahead or back, and I'd look down and sure enough, my thumb has slipped over the edge of the screen. :(
I honestly wouldn't have thought much about it either had I not spent a decent amount of time with an iPad 3. The stylus really makes it obvious IMO. I'm not really a heavy stylus user honestly, but I do like to use one if I'm sketching something out in Paper (perhaps a network diagram) or doing some really quick markups on a PDF.

Appreciate the intelligent feedback/thoughts. ;)

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I just purchased a mini this evening and have been playing around with it some. I don't notice any difference in touch sensitivity with this and the iPad 3.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I've got a few high end stylus just for the fun of it. The drawback is you forfeit the wonderful tactile experience of using your finger.

As far as touch sensitivity, I find my mini identical and as excellent as my iPads 1,2,3 & now the 4. I've got years of touch screen experience with other brands as well on the 30 or so smartphones I've owned.

Apples done the best job of specifying exactly what they want to their vendors. The latest Androids like my Nexus 4, Note II & Galaxy S3, are nearly as good, yet Apple's the best.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who struggles with this! It is indeed very difficult to touch the x.

Yeah, that little "x" is the worst! There used to be a similar issue hitting the "more info" down-arrow on the Updates page of the app store. The target was practically sub-pixel. But that eventually got fixed.

I wonder if the thumb-rejection could be (or is?) a setting that could be turned off.

Regards,
Tom

nebrot

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
北京 (Beijing)
No problems here, though I have to say for instance this macrumors forum is a little small (several web-pages are) and I find myself sometimes double-tapping to extend the text, but I didn´t really struggle so far.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
A whole thread based on a little "x". Unbelievable

Compared to which earth-shattering thread on Macrumors now?

And like most threads, at least it did start with a slightly more meaty subject (see thread title and OP).

So, while it's a lot of things (e.g. early sign of the fall of civilization, etc.), unbelievable ain't one of 'em. ;)

Regards,
Tom

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
This is a curiosity for me because I have the same problem on the iPad Mini hitting that X, but no problem at all hitting it on the iPhone 4.

anastasty

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
iPad mini edge sensitivity?

I have the same problem with the App Store X on my mini. I use multiple iPad2s and never have this problem. Maybe Apple's fix for accidental input is to decrease sensitivity near the edge of the screen? The App Store search box X is pretty close to the edge on a mini...

czecho7

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Maybe Apple's fix for accidental input is to decrease sensitivity near the edge of the screen? The App Store search box X is pretty close to the edge on a mini...

I think you're right. Hopefully they'll work this issue out in a better way, especially if the next full-sized iPad is supposed to come with a smaller bezel like the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.