Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Well I have now had my iMac for 4 days where I have been using it pretty extensively and I honestly say, I couldn't be happier!

I was extremely worried after reading about some problems that people had had with theirs, but then I remembered, people more often than not, come to to forums to complain / talk about problems then they do talk about how happy they actually are. I'm sure for every 1000 iMacs, only 1 has a problem.

Just to add, my iMac was assembled in Ireland. After unboxing it, before its first boot, I checked for any cosmetic damage i.e. scratches and scuffs and did not find any at all.

After turning it on and setting it all up, I very quickly checked for dead pixels and none have been found. I have absolutely no image retention, no yellow screen and no light bleed.

I am also absolutely amazed by the quality of the speakers! Unlike others have said, they do not in the slightest sound tinny. I have had many people come round to see it and they all think the speakers are of the most amazing quality. I also cannot get over how loud they are. I don't turn them anywhere near the maximum volume and they are still extremely loud and clear.

As for the screen, WOW! It is crystal clear! It goes above and beyond all of my expectations! The colours are amazing! Again, I don't even have my screen brightness above 50%, yet it's still amazing. I also cannot believe how bright and clear it is when turned up to 100%. I was worried about how big the 27" screen was going to be, but after getting used to it, it's just perfect! The 21.5" just seems tiny now. The 27" inch is perfect for me doing photo/video editing, gaming and even just web browsing and emails etc.

The speed and performance of this iMac also blow anything else (apart from the Mac Pro) out of the water! I have the 27" 3.4Ghz i7, 1TB fusion drive, 24GB RAM and 680MX 2GB. I have thrown everything I can at it and there has been no slow down or lag at all. It completes everything instantly.

Finally, as for the design, I truly believe that it is a work of art. Many have said that from the front it looks no different to the 2011 model, but combined with the full lamination technique used for the screen, I completely disagree. When I walk passed it and see the 5mm edge, it's fantastic! Even the bulge (wrong word really as it is hardly very big) is very nice and rounded.

Overall, I would just like to say well done and thank you to Apple for providing me with this amazing machine and an amazing operating system. Coming from using Windows all my life, this truly has showed me the full potential of a computer. Never will I ever go back to running Windows.

And to people thinking about buying their own late 2012 iMac, go ahead! You really won't regret it! :D :apple:

Grockel

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Devon, UK
The simplest thing I can say is 'ditto'.

I've had mine, same configuration, for about 7 weeks......love it....when I can actually find a time when the rest of the family aren't using it.

Kelsmom18

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
North Carolina
Ditto, ditto and ditto! I love my 27" machine and have had it almost 2 months now! It's a fantastic piece of technology - absolutely no regrets. :D

gzigoris

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2013
Middle MI.USA
Virginblue I have been following you through our anxiety of the wait. Sure am glad you posted this. Mine shipped from Sacremento and should be here in Michigan by thursday or Friday. Can't wait to see for myself. I hope some of the other people in the February group will come back and give us a report. I see that you didn't have a problem putting that extra 16 gig of ram into your MAC. Great!

Being a new Mac user I can't wait to start to learn.

Stay in touch, George

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Virginblue I have been following you through our anxiety of the wait. Sure am glad you posted this. Mine shipped from Sacremento and should be here in Michigan by thursday or Friday. Can't wait to see for myself. I hope some of the other people in the February group will come back and give us a report. I see that you didn't have a problem putting that extra 16 gig of ram into your MAC. Great!

Being a new Mac user I can't wait to start to learn.

Stay in touch, George

You're in for a treat.

I'm loving mine too

Chris64tx

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Houston, Tx.
Ditto....:D. I have had mine for a week. I will never buy another windows machine....... I LOVE my IMac

The simplest thing I can say is 'ditto'.

I've had mine, same configuration, for about 7 weeks......love it....when I can actually find a time when the rest of the family aren't using it.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
1)can you tell me how much power has the speakers in terms of W ? does it say
on configuration box?
2)can you tell me if you ordered a custom build imac, on the imac box does it say the configuration you order? or is just for the basic imacs ?

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Can I ask how long you had to wait for it to be delivered?

I'm going to order my first Mac in 2 days after I ensure my rent is paid but the Apple Store say a 4-6 week wait.

Please tell me it's a bit better than that it reality - I don't have a proper computer at the moment and it's making life very annoying.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Stay in touch, George

No problems at all with running 24GB RAM :D I'm glad that yours will be arriving too! It's an amazing machine!

1)can you tell me how much power has the speakers in terms of W ? does it say
on configuration box?
2)can you tell me if you ordered a custom build imac, on the imac box does it say the configuration you order? or is just for the basic imacs ?

1) No
2) It has a small sticker on the side of the box with the configuration but it's not the same as the base iMacs.

Can I ask how long you had to wait for it to be delivered?

Well I don't know where you are located. For the US, baseline iMacs are 1-3 days and for BTO iMacs it is 2-3 weeks.

For the UK, baseline iMacs are 1-2 weeks and BTO iMacs are 2-4 weeks.

I waited 32 days for mine to arrive. I also did not have a proper computer, however my iPad was great in that time. it is definitely worth the wait!

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Very happy with mine. Speakers are **** though. I didn't own the previous generation iMac but the sound on the new iMac's is vastly inferior to the previous models. I know there isn't a fault with mine as I've used about a dozen other new iMac's and all have pretty poor sound. It's a shame as everything else is perfect.

I do find having to clamber around the back plugging USB peripherals/SD cards to be a pain in the arse though, you have no choice but to swival the iMac around to plug stuff in and remove it cleanly. but I knew that was going to be a problem before I bought it.

Last edited:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Very happy with mine. Speakers are **** though. I didn't own the previous generation iMac but the sound on the new iMac's is vastly inferior to the previous models. I know there isn't a fault with mine as I've used about a dozen other new iMac's and all have pretty poor sound. It's a shame as everything else is perfect.

I do find having to clamber around the back plugging USB peripherals/SD cards to be a pain in the arse though, you have no choice but to swival the iMac around to plug stuff in and remove it cleanly. but I knew that was going to be a problem before I bought it.

I completely disagree. Speakers are absolutely fantastic. I have friends who work in music, and they have agreed with me that the speaker quality is great. Unsure as to why you disagree. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I completely disagree. Speakers are absolutely fantastic. I have friends who work in music, and they have agreed with me that the speaker quality is great. Unsure as to why you disagree. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Sound is very clear and more than adequate for most things but bass is crap (so they are poor for music as everything sounds tinny). If they work in the music industry maybe they need to get their ears syringed so they can hear properly? All kinds of music sounds poor through them.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Sound is very clear and more than adequate for most things but bass is crap (so they are poor for music as everything sounds tinny). If they work in the music industry maybe they need to get their ears syringed so they can hear properly? All kinds of music sounds poor through them.

Slightly rude.

As I said in my opening post, my iMac has no tinniness to the sound at all.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
maybe you have 27" imac and the speakers are different than the 21.5" model like Steve ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.