Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A7IF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Do you think Apple will ever change the user interface in iOS7?

I'm getting really bored of the current layout as many of you probably are too.

Could do with some widgets on the home screen.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I completely agree, but you have to think, hmmm what else could they actually do with that interface. I have a couple of ideas in a project I'm working on right now, and I made a thread on how I think they could improve the music app in iOS 7 too.

But really apart from widgets what can you do with that homescreen?

A7IF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
I completely agree, but you have to think, hmmm what else could they actually do with that interface. I have a couple of ideas in a project I'm working on right now, and I made a thread on how I think they could improve the music app in iOS 7 too.

But really apart from widgets what can you do with that homescreen?

Could introduce themes, possibly buy them from iTunes?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Apple will never radically change the UI of iOS.

Just look at OS X 10.0 and 10.8: 12 years on and the UI is identical, sans some slight changes.

If you want to rice up your phone's UI, add sixteen widgets and an animated wallpaper just because you're feeling bored one day, get an Android or jailbreak.

iOS's problem areas don't lie in the UI.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I don't get widgets? What's the point of having an app if you're going to have a widget that tells you all the basic info you need. I understand maybe a clock or weather widget, but anything else just doesn't seem that smart.

Live Icons would be a better choice (a la Windows Phone LiveTiles)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010

Possibly but for me that just looks messy, I hate half of the android themes where they change the default icons just to be different, it looks silly

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

What i dont get is why people want iOS to be like android, if you want android then get an android phone. Themes, widgets, toggles, live wallpapers, ect. are not going to be in iOS.

A7IF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
What i dont get is why people want iOS to be like android, if you want android then get an android phone. Themes, widgets, toggles, live wallpapers, ect. are not going to be in iOS.

What are you talking about? The home is screen is very basic to say the least, it needs a revamp. I cannot remember saying I want the iOS to look like an Android.

Stop assuming stuff!

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
What are you talking about? The home is screen is very basic to say the least, it needs a revamp. I cannot remember saying I want the iOS to look like an Android.

Stop assuming stuff!

Well widgets and themes are both features that android has that iOS doesn't. The home screen is basic but that the only thing thats basic about iOS. To me thats how it should be, the operating system should be out of the way and your applications should be front and center, not buried in some app drawer of some sort or a random amount scattered around home screens.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I don't get widgets? What's the point of having an app if you're going to have a widget that tells you all the basic info you need. I understand maybe a clock or weather widget, but anything else just doesn't seem that smart.

You're not the only one who doesn't get them - it turns out that the majority of Android users don't, either: http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...ly-customising-homescreens-is-so-2010-1134955

It's just something someone noticed was missing from the feature list :D

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013

i agree, i dont get the whole wasting resources on widgets when the app is right there. Maybe change the icons a bit, but people need to understand the home screen is just a launcher, how often do you really stare at the home screen? it sounds like people have been drinking too much android kool-aid with this stupid widget thing.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I agree, Apple shouldn't change anything. That seems to work out so well for other tech companies. I like the weather app I can't remove/disable that always says 73 and sunny. I think its a good idea that apps have to start at the top left and work there way down. I like the stock keyboard that has terrible auto correct and all the letter are always capital. Safari is my favorite I like being forced to use it. Etc etc. /sarcasm obviously

These are all subtle things that would enhance the user experience and can be tastefully introduced without being like windows phone or Android. Apple might be able to think of a better way of doing this stuff anyway.

I'm satisfied with iOS and I enjoy but I'm not closed minded enough to say it can't be better.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
How long do you need to look at the home screen for? The point of the home screen is to allow you to see where your apps are and open them. I don't see why that need changing.

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
If you want widget type stuff, why not get dashboard, or something of that ilk?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 217

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I'm fine with the interface. It's the features that I wan. Why in 2013 am I still not able to set default apps? Why can't 3rd part apps communicate with each other like in Android? The interface can stay the same for all I care. I actually kinda like it. But apple needs to add stuff that we should have in 2013.

----------

It looks suspiciously like Windows Phone...

Except not really.

Sense 5
175965-sense5screenshots.jpg

Windows phone 8
windows-phone-8-screenshot-2.jpg

The only thing that resembles windows phone 8 is a couple of the new gestures and the Flipboard knockoff blinkfeed.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I'm fine with the interface. It's the features that I wan. Why in 2013 am I still not able to set default apps? Why can't 3rd part apps communicate with each other like in Android? The interface can stay the same for all I care. I actually kinda like it. But apple needs to add stuff that we should have in 2013.

----------

Except not really.

Sense 5

Right you are, sir. I was looking a Blinkfeed, so my mistake. That one does look like Windows Phone. Sense 5 looks like iOS with uglier icons and typography and a weather widget at the top ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.