Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I still have one and I'm inching to buy a new 27"iMac.

How much longer will this thing last? I never shut it down. I can help to think, the diodes have got to start leaking soon. So how many are out there still working?

macthefork

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2013
Macs can last a long time. Usually what goes is the HDD, which is replaceable. If you're waiting for it to fail, so you can get a new iMac, it will NEVER die. I still have a Mac Pro, 1,1 that's going strong. A G-5 Powermac Tower that still runs fine, but don't use. An old Sawtooth G-4, that runs fine but I no longer use. A G-4 MDD tower that I gave to my sister and she's still using it. A G-3 desktop that still runs if I'd put a HDD in it. And an old Mac II ci from around 1990 that ran last time I started it. However, I haven't run that one for many years, now.

Mac's rarely die... especially if you're waiting for it to. If I waited until my first Mac died before I bought another, I'd still be using the Mac II ci.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
My HDD has gone out twice and my Super drive once. My screen is starting to yellow, and any video pauses. Did I mention while playing iTunes and I'm working in photoshop anything I do makes my songs pause for a few seconds?

I think it's time for a new one.

MeerkatinBKK

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
I've got 2 of the '06 20" ones. Managed to fry one a couple of years ago - I'm guessing the GPU as it was during a WoW session. The remaining one is getting seriously glitchy and doesn't like anything intensive being thrown at it at all, even after a complete HDD wipe and OS reinstall.

New BTO 27" was delivered last week and I love it. I'll hang on to the old one, but it's now demoted to more menial tasks...

If I get 6-7 years usage out of the new one, I'll be a happy man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.