Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papantonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Hey guys,
I searched the forum a lot and I could not find a solution to this.
One thing that I have found annoying on Mac is that when closing an application with Cmd+W it still exists in the list of applications that pop up if I press Cmd+Tab.
What happens if I select a closed application from the pop up of Cmd+Tab is that the application will never open its main window (only the topbar changes but this does not really help me).
So my question is, if there is a workaround this thing. For example, is there a keyboard shortcut that re-opens an application if this application is closed with Cmd+W?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
when closing an application with Cmd+W
Most applications don't close (quit) with Command W. That just closes the current window. The app stays running. You Quit an app with Command Q.

If you select an app to the foreground and it has no open documents or windows, then you will just get the menu bar. You will need to open a document in that app, with File > Open (or Command O), or re-open the windows that you have closed. If you don't want the windows to be closed when you return to the app: don't close them!

Further points:
In 10.7 (Lion) and later, if you Quit an app with Command Q, and you have document windows open, then when you relaunch it, it will reload all the document windows that were open at quit.

Some apps that have primarily one main window will quit when that window is closed with Command W, such as System Preferences.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.