Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awesomest47

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
This is one thing Apple really does that frustrates me a TON. I bought an iPhone 4S in November a year ago to try to keep up with "the times." Well, this new iPhone waddles along and plummets the value of my no contract 4S about $100 :eek: I no longer had the latest technology. I looked at Apple's website and saw their line that they recycled from the iPhone 3GS' release- "The biggest thing that happened to iPhone since iPhone." Ya right!! I own a first generation iPhone and its minimalism can not be compared. When will the iPhone die already? They just keep adding all sorts of crap that doesn't matter. How often will people ACTUALLY take a photo during a video? So few areas are serviced by LTE where I live that it is no use to me and I think it's INSANE that people feel their phones should be faster than their computers. The way I see it they just made the phone's screen BIGGER which isn't necessarily a benefit. Does anyone else agree that Apple is running out of new innovations to the iPhone? Why did you buy/refuse to buy one?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Because their old phones are getting slow and sluggish. It's the same reason why people upgrade their desktops or laptops every 2-4 years.
It gets slow and people need a faster device

That's my guess anyways

Knockworstface

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
Because their old phones are getting slow and sluggish. It's the same reason why people upgrade their desktops or laptops every 2-4 years.
It gets slow and people need a faster device

That's my guess anyways

This. Even though we're talking seconds here people feel that they need the latest and greatest fastest iPhone. Personal preference. :D

ebs530

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I upgraded to the iPhone 5 from the 3GS and I'm not at all disappointed. The 5 is so much faster it amazed me and I pretty much have LTE everywhere and it's incredible. I would of switched phones just for LTE, websites load instantly it seems. I honestly load web pages faster on my iPhone than on my computer.

I also find the camera to be pretty impressive coming from the 3GS, no doubt there is a huge difference.

I think the IPhone 5 is definitely worth the 199 price tag, but then again I switched from the 3GS. I might not feel the same way if I came from a 4 or 4s

Last edited:

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I came from a 4 and paid full price $749 for my 5, and I feel it was worth it. So much faster, LTE is great and I love the new design.

I paid full price so I could keep my unlimited data. My avg data use before LTE was about 2gb a month so far I have averaged over 6gb a month with LTE

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Is this real? Why the iPhone keep being updated?

The same reason we still aren't using commodore 64's. Apps will never be able to get any better if the hardware that supports them doesn't. If YOU don't want to take a picture from a video that's fine (I can't either I also have a 4S) but believe it or not there are other people with different needs and wants.

Finally met the person that thinks the iPhone is moving too quickly. Lol

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I'm not a fanboy and not a total tech nerd either. Personally, I think smartphones in general are running out of innovation. But that's me. I haven't seen anything offered by apple/android/samsung/bb/etc that makes me go holy*&*$&#. Sorta feels that everyone has the same ingredients and just trying to come up with variations for the same recipe. The iphone won't die though. Why would it? Compared to lots of others they at least focus on perfecting something even if they're just smaller improvements.

Back to the new iphone..Compared to my IP4, the IP5 is a considerable difference to me with the two biggies for me better screen & battery life. I didn't pay $199 but paid $300 this time around because i opted for a bit more storage. No regrets. I'm also one of those who has everything nicely synced together with apple and its services so another reason for me to want to stay with apple. I just like connivence and apple offers a pretty nice product IMO.

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
This is one thing Apple really does that frustrates me a TON. I bought an iPhone 4S in November a year ago to try to keep up with "the times." Well, this new iPhone waddles along and plummets the value of my no contract 4S about $100 :eek: I no longer had the latest technology. I looked at Apple's website and saw their line that they recycled from the iPhone 3GS' release- "The biggest thing that happened to iPhone since iPhone." Ya right!! I own a first generation iPhone and its minimalism can not be compared. When will the iPhone die already? They just keep adding all sorts of crap that doesn't matter. How often will people ACTUALLY take a photo during a video? So few areas are serviced by LTE where I live that it is no use to me and I think it's INSANE that people feel their phones should be faster than their computers. The way I see it they just made the phone's screen BIGGER which isn't necessarily a benefit. Does anyone else agree that Apple is running out of new innovations to the iPhone? Why did you buy/refuse to buy one?

Don't buy just to keep up with the time, if the phone you were using was doing everything you wanted, then don't upgrade until there is a compelling reason for you to spend your money.

And if it's insane to want the devices I use the most to run as fast as possible, then call me insane. I might use my computer 2 hours a week and that's mainly for downloads and backups.

Last but not least, it's my money, I bust my butt for it, don't bust my balls about how I decide to spend it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I paid more than $199 for my 64GB iPhone 5. But I've been waiting since 2007 for the iPhone to come to Sprint. I don't like the design of the 4S and in 2011 was expecting Sprint to get the iPhone 5. Instead, they got the 4 and the 4S so I waited one more year for the 5 and I'm glad I did.

Aestheically, I got what I wanted. I have a 3GS and while that phone is nice, I much prefer the piece of art reminescent of the black monolith in the movie 2001 that I now carry around in my pocket. My i5 is fast and the battery life I'm getting is incredible.

I shelled out because I wanted an iPhone. I wanted it on Sprint and I wanted to be in the Apple ecosystem which comes as part of this. I wanted the Apple experience of preorder, purchase and getting my iPhone on launch day. And even better it was a phone that to me looks damn nice all by itself.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Don't buy just to keep up with the time, if the phone you were using was doing everything you wanted, then don't upgrade until there is a compelling reason for you to spend your money.

Agreed. Just because a new phone is released doesn't suddenly make your existing phone a paperweight.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
How often will people ACTUALLY take a photo during a video?

Have you actually tried it? I used this feature all the time with my Androids. I didn't really know this was available on the iPhone 5 but it's a very useful feature to have compared to some other features that while may be cool (NFC for example) I just don't really use in day to day tasks. There have been plenty of times that i've taken a video, watched the playback and thought this part of the video would make a great picture!

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Bc iPhone 5 is hip and cool

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Because I had the iPhone 4 and wanted a new phone, big deal. Why do you care what people buy or why? Why do people get new Android phones, or Windows? Why do people get new cars?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Because I had the iPhone 4 and wanted a new phone, big deal. Why do you care what people buy or why? Why do people get new Android phones, or Windows? Why do people get new cars?

Human are curious, they like to be "with the Jonses." Is that what they call mob mentality? :D

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Human are curious, they like to be "with the Jonses." Is that what they call mob mentality? :D

Funny thing is I didn't even want a new phone, my iPhone 4 was fine and still is. I got the 4 on launch day and didn't get the iPhone 5 until November and the only reason I got it was because I got a gift card from Best Buy so it was free for me. If I didn't get the gift card, I would probably still be using my iPhone 4. After having a iPhone 5, I couldn't go back to my 4 :D

OP: Apple comes out with a new phone every year, how is it their fault you didn't research it before you bought it?

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Paid $299 for 32GB iPhone 5 on AT&T with a 2-yr at release.

Ended up swapping out my phone so much for QC issues, there was really no point in paying that except to have the phone on day 1. That and foregoing a 4S and a customizable Galaxy Nexus to be painfully stock for a while, but the perks were LTE and 4" (the former more important in a blanketed LTE area)

Next time I'll get an AT&T refurb or hop on a fire sale from Walmart (or equivalent) and get it price matched. And hopefully JB will be out at that point as it's a deal breaker.

If I'm Android inclined, by the very nature of the crowded android market, I'll get a device for cheap (saw firesales for GSIII not long after its release, though JB iPhone > * for me)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
...But yeah as said, $200 for something you use all the time and with lots of other purposes in mind is more than justifiable.

Hence, the sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.