Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Obviously I've been missing something, but why the heck am I supposed to pay again if I want to use my tweaks in iOS6?

Just to mention some examples, IntelliscreenX, Zephyr and Unrestrictor are asking me to make a new purchase in order to use what I already paid for.

WTF? :S

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
E-mail the devs or transfer the licence over if that option is available, it was for LockInfo.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Occasionally the tweak won't be comparable on iOS 6 resulting in some of the code needing to be sorted or the tweak fully re written.

Surly the devs time and effort is worth something !

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Occasionally the tweak won't be comparable on iOS 6 resulting in some of the code needing to be sorted or the tweak fully re written.

Surly the devs time and effort is worth something !

Only if I receive new features and something valuable. Otherwise, as a costumer, I shouldn't be paying again.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
So you ARE saying the developer's time isn't worth anything!

I never said that. My point is that programming is their job. And I already paid for that work.

An example: if the developer made a mistake, there is a bug, and because of that he needs to rewrite a few lines and to submit and update, I'm not going to pay because it's part of his job to keep everything working, right?

Same thing here. If he needs to rewrite a few lines in order to keep his tweak working in iOS 6, it's part of his job. Asking for money again is not fair since the customers already paid for exactly the same product!

If we start to think that everything done by the developers means that they've been using their valuable time to produce and that we should pay for that, then why not paying for every minor update!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
So you ARE saying the developer's time isn't worth anything!

no one should have to pay twice for the same thing, but...if there's a lot of code to rewrite, and/or new features added, an upgrade fee seems reasonable.

since most tweaks are $1 or $2, that's not an unreasonable amount for an upgrade...

xxxhackaxxx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I never said that. My point is that programming is their job. And I already paid for that work.

An example: if the developer made a mistake, there is a bug, and because of that he needs to rewrite a few lines and to submit and update, I'm not going to pay because it's part of his job to keep everything working, right?

Same thing here. If he needs to rewrite a few lines in order to keep his tweak working in iOS 6, it's part of his job. Asking for money again is not fair since the customers already paid for exactly the same product!

If we start to think that everything done by the developers means that they've been using their valuable time to produce and that we should pay for that, then why not paying for every minor update!

The thing you don't grasp is that its not "a few lines" of code. Changing one line affects the others so they have to spend their time figuring all of it out. Apple is notorious for making updates that mess up things that involve jailbreaking. Most Dev's dont code for a living, lots of the big ones do, but not all. They have been doing this for years, i dont see it changing, and to be honest, making a thread about this (when you see one made so often about the same topin) wont change anything.

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Be glad you even get the apps or tweaks updated to work with this os.

Updating takes a lot of time to do, then all the bug fixing so that its at least a stable release. I gladly pay for it all.

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Obviously I've been missing something, but why the heck am I supposed to pay again if I want to use my tweaks in iOS6?

Just to mention some examples, IntelliscreenX, Zephyr and Unrestrictor are asking me to make a new purchase in order to use what I already paid for.

WTF? :S

Like a previous poster said, you must have been logged out of your cydia account or something like that. I did not have to pay for Zephyr after upgrading to iOS 6.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Why do you have to pay? Because no one promised free updates for life. They sold you software for an specific OS version. Unless an app maker promises you free updates you shouldn't expect them.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Well, lets not jump the gun.

I do agree that developers deserve to get paid for their work, that is a given, no one is refuting this moral point. However, its different when we are talking about updates. Developers have incentive to keep their apps updated to new iOS revisions because this brings in more customers, and their old customers get to use the apps they have already bought as a perk. But holding your old customers hostage by either 1)not allowing them to update iOS in order to use the app, or 2)pay if you want to use the app your already bought, in my opinion belong in a moral grey area.

This would never be allowed in the real app store, so why is it allowed in this situation? This is like, if I spent $30 buying the entire iWorks suite for my ipad, then I need to use my ipad on the new iOS for whatever reason (development, compatibility, stability, fixes, or plain just want the latest iOS), then should i have to fork out even $1 to get the iWorks I already bought, to work with my new iOS?

So in my opinion, like lockinfo 5, they presented new features to work with iOS 6, so maybe it would have been worth a small upgrade fee, but PAID users should have been given a compatible old version to use if they didn't want to pay for upgrades and still wanted to use their apps.

While I understand in this situation its understandable that Apple keeps breaking code and its very complicated, as a consumer, I see whats going out of my pocket, so I do not like the upgrade fee concept. Sorry devs.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
It's similar to 1Password. You have to pay for major upgrades (like going from version 3.0 to version 4.0) but get all the minor updates for free. There are other examples of this as well. I agree its annoying, especially with a pricey package like IntelliScreenX.

FYI, I didn't have to pay for the zephyr update. No one had to. If you paid again I'd contact the dev immediately to get a refund.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
what i've come to understand, is the nature of these **upgrades** are massive. jailbreak devs dont get SDKs or API access they need, so its not just about porting an app from ios 5.x to 6.x, and for an app as complex as ISX, most of it has to be re-written.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
If you don't want to pay for the updated jailbreak tweaks, don't update iOS?

Apple charges for EVERY major point upgrade on OSX(10.7 to 10.8). When Microsoft releases a major update to Office, they charge for that. When Adobe releases a new version of Photoshop, they don't give it out for free. Some of those updates cost hundreds of dollars. Why is it a big deal when a jailbreak tweak costs you $20 because you had to pay $10 last year and $10 again this year?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I understand that a lot of work goes into these tweaks, but I was pretty pissed when I couldn't even USE MyWi without paying $5 for the "upgrade." They shouldn't have locked down the app to the point where you can't use it unless you put more money in to it. I paid for it once and I think it was wrong of them to prevent users from using the app any further unless they pay again for something they've already bought.

That's like buying a game for $50 and then a year later, the developer decides to stop everyone from using the game unless they pay more. Does that sound right? Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way.

If you don't want to pay for the updated jailbreak tweaks, don't update iOS?

Apple charges for EVERY major point upgrade on OSX(10.7 to 10.8). When Microsoft releases a major update to Office, they charge for that. When Adobe releases a new version of Photoshop, they don't give it out for free. Some of those updates cost hundreds of dollars. Why is it a big deal when a jailbreak tweak costs you $20 because you had to pay $10 last year and $10 again this year?

Because Apple, Microsoft and Adobe don't lock down their software/operating systems to stop all functionality of them unless you pay more money.

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
Only if I receive new features and something valuable. Otherwise, as a costumer, I shouldn't be paying again.

Don't buy a Mac or Windows computer then. You don't get the oS upgrades for free. Do you get office 2010 just because you had 2007? Major software upgrade fees are a part of life. It's not simply changing a few lines of code, especially with Apple and the JB tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Don't buy a Mac or Windows computer then. You don't get the oS upgrades for free. Do you get office 2010 just because you had 2007? Major software upgrade fees are a part of life. It's not simply changing a few lines of code, especially with Apple and the JB tweaks.

The circumstances are not the same. Microsoft Office doesn't stop functioning if you don't pay for an upgrade, neither does OS X or Windows. You can still use older versions JUST fine.

tperry

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
East Texas
The circumstances are not the same. Microsoft Office doesn't stop functioning if you don't pay for an upgrade, neither does OS X or Windows. You can still use older versions JUST fine.

And you can use the older version of the app just fine...... With the OS it was coded for. There are tons of software examples that will only run on older code. You upgrade your OS you expect to pay for upgrading the application. I can see your point if you paid an exorbitant amount (like for custom code), but for $2 or $3 you are being unrealistic to expect lifetime updates. Hell, the forum software on my site comes with 12 month support and free upgrades during that period. You want to keep getting the free updates then you pay a yearly support cost.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I dont think the Mywi dev promised you that you will get updates for life and every iphone you update to every year will be able to use mywi for free for the rest of your life.
You buy Mywi 5 that is compatible with ios 5 on all JB devices on that version.
Then you can purchase MyWi 6 that will work with ios 6 and so on.
Its been like that with most paid packages for many years now and I understand where they're coming from.
I'd rather them update their packages and charge an upgrade fee than abandon their programs completelly. Create another similar program just for ios 6 for example and charge everyone full price for it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Because Apple, Microsoft and Adobe don't lock down their software/operating systems to stop all functionality of them unless you pay more money.

How exactly are they locking down the software and stopping it from working? You mean because YOU chose to upgrade your OS?

Anyway, like I said:

If you don't want to pay for the updated jailbreak tweaks, don't update iOS.

But in reality, some of the more expensive jailbreak tweaks cost, what, $10? Is that really worth making a big deal about?

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
How exactly are they locking down the software and stopping it from working? You mean because YOU chose to upgrade your OS?

Anyway, like I said:

But in reality, some of the more expensive jailbreak tweaks cost, what, $10? Is that really worth making a big deal about?

It could be 0,99 and still. It's not about money, but about what's fair and decent.

Sometimes I feel that people put developers on some sort of privileged position where everybody is supposed to support them no matter what just because it's the nice thing to do.

Anyway, I didn't want to "make a big deal about" this. I was just asking because I didn't know the reason to pay again to use the same tweaks. That's all—if you want to keep discussing, go on.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Some people don't seem to understand how some programs work.

Let's say a developer spends a *lot* of time making an app for iOS 5. It uses special iOS 5 APIs, system files, etc.
They make the app work really well. They charge $xx for it.

Then iOS 6 comes out. The app suddenly doesn't work. The developer has to go then and figure out what changed between iOS 5 and 6, work on new stuff that both works in iOS 5 and iOS 6, and/or starts a whole new thing that works on iOS 6 (while leaving the iOS 5 version separate).

They may end up spending almost as much time updating for iOS 6 as it did for them to originally create the app in iOS 5.
So what they do? They ask for more money.

HOW DARE THEY! Their time is obviously worthless! I should give them $0! ~My~ time is worth something, so I shouldn't have to give them money!

You think you can do a better job? You spend hundreds/thousands on a phone, but then refuse to give a developer a few bucks to make software for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.