Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Hey guys - about to buy an MBA. After 10 years in the "real world" i'm going back to school to get my JD and i want to buy a new laptop. I am leaning towards the 13" just because of my aging eyes and because of the added battery life.

i am also thinking about buying a time capsule and i was wondering if those of you with MBAs and time capsule notice the slowdown?

i have a 4 year old MBP that has a 2.4ghz chip and 4 gigs of ram. the time machine kicking in isn't too distracting, but sometimes i find myself disabling it while i'm doing lots of work and plugging it back in when i walk away - i know that's the exact opposite of what it's designed to do, but never the less that's what i do.

Do you guys notice slowdown w/ time capsule? if so that might be reason enough to pop it up to 8gig IMO.

what do you think?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Depends on the storage

With a normal HD, yes, the lag is noticeable on "older" machines (2+ years).

But I barely see that it's running now that all of our laptops have SSD.

I'm running a 2012 11" MBA and a 2010 MBP with an SSD.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hey guys - about to buy an MBA. After 10 years in the "real world" i'm going back to school to get my JD and i want to buy a new laptop. I am leaning towards the 13" just because of my aging eyes and because of the added battery life.

i am also thinking about buying a time capsule and i was wondering if those of you with MBAs and time capsule notice the slowdown?

i have a 4 year old MBP that has a 2.4ghz chip and 4 gigs of ram. the time machine kicking in isn't too distracting, but sometimes i find myself disabling it while i'm doing lots of work and plugging it back in when i walk away - i know that's the exact opposite of what it's designed to do, but never the less that's what i do.

Do you guys notice slowdown w/ time capsule? if so that might be reason enough to pop it up to 8gig IMO.

what do you think?

I have a 2012 13" MBA that backs up to a Time Capsule and never even notice when Time Machine comes on to run its hourly backup.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
I have a 2012 MBA and 2008 iMac both connected wirelessly to my TC. When the MBA backs up to the TC it is completely unnoticeable. When my iMac backs up to it I can only notice it when I am running Aperture and my images take slightly longer to render. Other than that, I don't notice it when TM runs.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
so awesome - thanks guys, i'm sold!
i think i'll take my old time machine drive and plug it into time capsule and forget about.

thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.