Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:19 AM   #1
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

How well does your MBA play with Time Capsule?

Hey guys - about to buy an MBA. After 10 years in the "real world" i'm going back to school to get my JD and i want to buy a new laptop. I am leaning towards the 13" just because of my aging eyes and because of the added battery life.

i am also thinking about buying a time capsule and i was wondering if those of you with MBAs and time capsule notice the slowdown?

i have a 4 year old MBP that has a 2.4ghz chip and 4 gigs of ram. the time machine kicking in isn't too distracting, but sometimes i find myself disabling it while i'm doing lots of work and plugging it back in when i walk away - i know that's the exact opposite of what it's designed to do, but never the less that's what i do.

Do you guys notice slowdown w/ time capsule? if so that might be reason enough to pop it up to 8gig IMO.

what do you think?
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Depends on the storage

With a normal HD, yes, the lag is noticeable on "older" machines (2+ years).

But I barely see that it's running now that all of our laptops have SSD.

I'm running a 2012 11" MBA and a 2010 MBP with an SSD.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Weaselboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedMic View Post
Hey guys - about to buy an MBA. After 10 years in the "real world" i'm going back to school to get my JD and i want to buy a new laptop. I am leaning towards the 13" just because of my aging eyes and because of the added battery life.

i am also thinking about buying a time capsule and i was wondering if those of you with MBAs and time capsule notice the slowdown?

i have a 4 year old MBP that has a 2.4ghz chip and 4 gigs of ram. the time machine kicking in isn't too distracting, but sometimes i find myself disabling it while i'm doing lots of work and plugging it back in when i walk away - i know that's the exact opposite of what it's designed to do, but never the less that's what i do.

Do you guys notice slowdown w/ time capsule? if so that might be reason enough to pop it up to 8gig IMO.

what do you think?
I have a 2012 13" MBA that backs up to a Time Capsule and never even notice when Time Machine comes on to run its hourly backup.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

I have a 2011 13" MBA, I never even notice TC backups, just see the drive pop in and out. It doesn't slow the machine down at all, and I have never had to disable it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

I have a 2012 MBA and 2008 iMac both connected wirelessly to my TC. When the MBA backs up to the TC it is completely unnoticeable. When my iMac backs up to it I can only notice it when I am running Aperture and my images take slightly longer to render. Other than that, I don't notice it when TM runs.
Left Nikon for Fuji X-E1, Fujinon 18-55mm OIS, 55-200mm OIS, 27mm f/2.8
Mike in Kansas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

so awesome - thanks guys, i'm sold!
i think i'll take my old time machine drive and plug it into time capsule and forget about.

thanks again!
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air