Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
My home internet got a nice speed bump from 36mbps/7mbps to about 56mbps/11mbps and I noticed that none of my iOS devices can keep up with that performance, but my Windows laptops and hardwired desktop can.
Previosly my ipad 2/3 and iphone 5 would max out at 35-36mbps, but when I do the speed tests now , 38mbps seems to be the max I can achieve.
Knowing that my laptops can get max speed, it almost looks like the iOS devices have some kind of a wifi limitations. Is this really a case? Does anyone have any expirience with it?
I am only using 2.4ghz radio, would it help if i connected all my iOS devices at 5.0ghz radio?
Initially, I was considering swapping my Netgear WNDR3700 router for Airport Extreme base, but I am not really sure if that would resolve my performance issues.

Thank you for any information.

tommylee84

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Cincinnati
What kind of router are you using? a/b/g/n

If you are using g you are getting the max out of it. For the speeds you'll want you'll need a N.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
What kind of router are you using? a/b/g/n

If you are using g you are getting the max out of it. For the speeds you'll want you'll need a N.

I am using Netgear WNDR3700 - all wifi clients are using N network at 2.4ghz.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
1. Ask yourself... do you really need that kind of speed on your mobile handset...

Moving on.
iPad 2 and 3 are single spacial stream tranceivers with 20mhz wide channels. Max speedtest should be around 28mbps.

iPhone 5 supports dual, in theory I could imagine 58mbps.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
1. Ask yourself... do you really need that kind of speed on your mobile handset...

Moving on.
iPad 2 and 3 are single spacial stream tranceivers with 20mhz wide channels. Max speedtest should be around 28mbps.

iPhone 5 supports dual, in theory I could imagine 58mbps.

I did some more research and you are right, the iphone 5 supports dual streams and I am able to max out my internet connection, while my ipad's are limited to single stream and get about 35 mbps. At least I know there isn't anything wrong with neither of my hardware, so this is good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.