Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:43 AM   #1
macness
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Why make the larger iPhone the lower cost one?

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/rum...urce=pulsenews


I really want an iPhone with a bigger screen, but I always thought it would be better and a little more expensive like the Note ll ( and no I do not want an android device) . They may be targeting a different market with a lower cost iPhone, but of that's the only option with a bigger screen then their also missing out on a huge market.
__________________
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) iPhone 5 iPhone 4 iPhone 3Gs
macness is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Every Dick&Harriet think they can run Apple better.
Mrbobb is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
I'm sure they would release a larger premium iPhone.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Nugget of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1500/3505MHz)
w00t951 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4
herdnerfer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint louis, MO
lower cost doesn't mean bad

being lower cost doesn't neccesarily mean it will be less powerful or unable to perform up to the top model.

Most likely the two phones will use the same resolution and if one screen is bigger, it will most likely be cheaper to make since the pixels don't have to be as small. hence lower cost.
__________________
iPad Retina Mini Wifi 16gb, 2x iPad Mini Wifi 16gb, iPhone 5s 16gb T-Mobile, AppleTV 3rd Gen
herdnerfer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 07:21 PM   #5
woodekm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I love when an article doesn't have a date.
__________________
MBPu 17" - 2.66
iPad Air-n' lovn' it
iPhone 6 Plus 64
MacMini - 2.0GHz, -Sammy 24in
woodekm is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ventura
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodekm View Post
I love when an article doesn't have a date.
It does.. Right next to the authors name.. 3.4.13
Mlrollin91 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 09:36 AM   #7
woodekm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
It does.. Right next to the authors name.. 3.4.13
And larger than his name. How I miss that?
__________________
MBPu 17" - 2.66
iPad Air-n' lovn' it
iPhone 6 Plus 64
MacMini - 2.0GHz, -Sammy 24in
woodekm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
vaio1990
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
it's really weird that we have yet to see any photos leaked on the larger iPhone 6
vaio1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:58 PM   #9
617aircav
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdnerfer View Post
being lower cost doesn't neccesarily mean it will be less powerful or unable to perform up to the top model.

Most likely the two phones will use the same resolution and if one screen is bigger, it will most likely be cheaper to make since the pixels don't have to be as small. hence lower cost.
No lower cost because it's cheaper to make and that includes the body, processor, camera, ram etc and not just the screen.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 02:27 AM   #10
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a
 
R.Stoychev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I think that they may release bigger Iphone but I am not very sure that Apple will make cheaper Iphone
__________________
iPhone 5 white, iPhone 4 black
Google nexus 7 2013 32gb LTE
R.Stoychev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:11 AM   #11
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
Who cares
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:33 AM   #12
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Why is everyone talking about a new lower cost iPhone???? They already have that. 4,4s. Free,$99. The 5 will move into the 4s spot this year and so on.

If you want a huge screen. Buy an iPad.
BHP41 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 08:04 AM   #13
bozzykid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Why is everyone talking about a new lower cost iPhone???? They already have that. 4,4s. Free,$99. The 5 will move into the 4s spot this year and so on.

If you want a huge screen. Buy an iPad.
Because not everyone lives in the US. Those lower cost phones you mention are still $450/$550 and do not offer very high profit margins. By making a phone specifically for developing nations, they can get the manufacturing cost down and still allow them some decent profit margins. And $550 for many countries is not a low cost phone just so you know.
bozzykid is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:09 AM   #14
vaio1990
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
Why is everyone talking about a new lower cost iPhone???? They already have that. 4,4s. Free,$99. The 5 will move into the 4s spot this year and so on.

If you want a huge screen. Buy an iPad.
Because people just buy those older models used from craigslist... Apple makes no extra money
vaio1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #15
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Because not everyone lives in the US. Those lower cost phones you mention are still $450/$550 and do not offer very high profit margins. By making a phone specifically for developing nations, they can get the manufacturing cost down and still allow them some decent profit margins. And $550 for many countries is not a low cost phone just so you know.
I'm not sure what iPhones cost in other countries. Only what I've read about here, in Brazil and so on. Put it in perspective for me. What does an S3 cost in comparison to an iPhone 4s or S2?

I don't see how making an entirely new product will reduce manufacturing costs. Selling a iPhone 4 now, while buying the parts at a reduced cost would keep the margin similar or maybe slightly lower. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio1990 View Post
Because people just buy those older models used from craigslist... Apple makes no extra money
Not entirely true. Verizon said that they benefited a huge amount this year by having the 4 for $99.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 05:42 PM   #16
bozzykid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
I'm not sure what iPhones cost in other countries. Only what I've read about here, in Brazil and so on. Put it in perspective for me. What does an S3 cost in comparison to an iPhone 4s or S2?
The S3 is not a viable option in developing countries either. I don't see how that is a worthwhile comparison. A low cost iPhone is going after a totally different market than the US. The US is one of a few countries that actually subsidizes phones. So looking at up front costs based on the US market is pointless.
bozzykid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 06:06 PM   #17
Hankster
macrumors 68000
 
Hankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by macness View Post
http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/5/rum...urce=pulsenews


I really want an iPhone with a bigger screen, but I always thought it would be better and a little more expensive like the Note ll ( and no I do not want an android device) . They may be targeting a different market with a lower cost iPhone, but of that's the only option with a bigger screen then their also missing out on a huge market.
You do realize these are rumors correct? Perhaps you should look the word up. Just because someone says it does not mean it's true. You're overrating.
__________________

iMac - MacBook Air - iPhone - iPad - Shuffle - Nikon
Hankster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 02:40 AM   #18
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030
 
itsmemuffins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Why make the larger iPhone the lower cost one?

Stupid rumour for 200 Bob.
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:02 AM   #19
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
The S3 is not a viable option in developing countries either. I don't see how that is a worthwhile comparison. A low cost iPhone is going after a totally different market than the US. The US is one of a few countries that actually subsidizes phones. So looking at up front costs based on the US market is pointless.
So you want to compare a cheap android to a year old flagship. That's not a comparison. Again, what does a S3 or S2 cost in these developing countries. It's a fair comparison. Apple doesn't compete with free and cheap handsets. The same as Mercedes doesn't compete with Kia.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 06:33 AM   #20
bozzykid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
So you want to compare a cheap android to a year old flagship. That's not a comparison. Again, what does a S3 or S2 cost in these developing countries. It's a fair comparison. Apple doesn't compete with free and cheap handsets. The same as Mercedes doesn't compete with Kia.
Huh? First off, I didn't even say anything about Android. And the S3 is comparable to the iPhone 4S in terms of cost. However, the S3 isn't comparable to a possible low cost iPhone because it isn't being sold in these countries either. I'm sorry you don't understand the point of a low cost iPhone. Just saying they should use old iPhones is laughable. There is a reason investors have been pushing Apple hard for the last 2 years to make a low cost iPhone.
bozzykid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 07:55 AM   #21
BHP41
macrumors 6502a
 
BHP41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Huh? First off, I didn't even say anything about Android. And the S3 is comparable to the iPhone 4S in terms of cost. However, the S3 isn't comparable to a possible low cost iPhone because it isn't being sold in these countries either. I'm sorry you don't understand the point of a low cost iPhone. Just saying they should use old iPhones is laughable. There is a reason investors have been pushing Apple hard for the last 2 years to make a low cost iPhone.
How is Apple going to make a low cost iPhone? They would have to use older and cheaper to purchase tech, right. That's exactly what the 4 & 4S are.
BHP41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2013, 02:22 PM   #22
bozzykid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP41 View Post
How is Apple going to make a low cost iPhone? They would have to use older and cheaper to purchase tech, right. That's exactly what the 4 & 4S are.
No. Most likely they will use cheaper materials. Not older materials. The glass from the 4/4S will surely not make it into a cheaper iPhone.
bozzykid is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:03 AM   #23
vaio1990
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
With a price of $330, Apple's market share in China is going to skyrocket... Assuming that the screen size is at least 4.5"
vaio1990 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 03:42 PM   #24
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Cheaper thicker (but rugged enough) materials packed with sloppier tolerances during quicker manufacturing results in a bigger product.

Thin but stronger materials manufactured with microscopic tolerances just costs more to build and results in lower yields (increasing the costs even more).
firewood is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #25
macMD
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
I think Verizon should make a larger phone and use the polycarbonate materials like they did in iPhone 1, 2, and 3 to reduce costs and provide customers with what they want. You need to offset costs somewhere and keep up or risk losing customers.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pegatron Chairman Says Lower-Cost iPhone Will Not Be Cheap MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 148 Jun 30, 2013 04:12 PM
Apple's Lower-Cost iPhone As a 'Mid-End' Device MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 165 Jun 22, 2013 01:58 PM
New Colors Rumored for iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone, Dual LED Flash for iPhone 5S? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 125 May 28, 2013 11:41 PM
Production Challenges to 'Delay' Launches of iPhone 5S, Lower-Cost iPhone and New iPad Mini? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 176 Apr 17, 2013 03:51 PM
Apple's Lower-Cost iPhone to Lack Retina Display? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 153 Mar 26, 2013 11:50 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC