Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2013, 01:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Steve Jobs' 4,000-Latte Prank Order Lives On at San Francisco Starbucks

During the introduction of the first iPhone, in a moment that got one of the biggest laughs of his career, Steve Jobs made a prank phone call. In front of thousands of Apple fans at the Macworld Expo in 2007, Jobs called a local Starbucks outlet and ordered 4,000 lattes -- to go.

He quickly hung up, telling the barista who answered "No, just kidding. Wrong number. Goodbye!" Fast Company found the barista and interviewed her about her moment of fame -- only she didn't realize who she was talking to, nor why people have continued to call that store for the past six years asking for 4,000 lattes.
Quote:
With help from Starbucks, Fast Company was able to track down Zhang, a soft-spoken barista who goes by "Hannah." Sincere and sweet, Hannah has been working at the same Starbucks for more than a half-decade. "Honestly, I was shocked," she recalls. "I have never heard somebody order 4,000 lattes to go. I didn't say anything because I was shocked. But my first impression was that he was just being humorous. He sounded like a gentleman."
The incident in question occurs roughly five minutes into this clip:

Hannah and her manager didn't know the reason for the recurring prank calls until Fast Company contacted them, but she says it makes more sense now. "Before, it was like, 'Who would order thousands of lattes?'" They figured out that with each latte taking around 44 seconds to prepare, Jobs would need to wait some 48-hours before picking up his 4,000 lattes.

It isn't the only prank call that Jobs made in his lifetime however -- when Jobs was in high school, he and Steve Wozniak famously tried to call the Pope, with Wozniak pretending to be Henry Kissinger.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' 4,000-Latte Prank Order Lives On at San Francisco Starbucks
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:02 PM   #2
JustJeff
Banned

Erm... Great?
JustJeff is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
brooklyn360
macrumors member

ha! It's funny, wish they would release the video from the store camera at that moment. we could find out what she said afterwards.
brooklyn360 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
nav92
macrumors newbie

One of the greatest Keynotes ever. Miss you Steve! This moment still makes me laugh. RIP.
nav92 is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5
jontech
macrumors 6502

Attempting to call the Pope made me laugh, especially as he was trying to be Kissinger
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:03 PM   #6
taptic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn360 View Post
ha! It's funny, wish they would release the video from the store camera at that moment. we could find out what she said afterwards.
That would be hilarious!
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
dojoman
macrumors 6502a

And people say Apple isn't innovative.
dojoman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Michasss8
macrumors newbie

One of the biggest advertisement of Starbucks .
Michasss8 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Funny enough, I was watching that clip this morning.

Remember that horrible partnership where the Starbucks icon would show up and you could download music that was playing? Man, that was ages ago.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:07 PM   #10
jontech
macrumors 6502

Would be be really funny is hiding code into Starbucks Passbook that orders 4000 latte's automatically when it detects its not using Apple hardware

That would show those Samsung Engineers....
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
"Before, it was like, 'Who would order thousands of lattes?'" They figured out that with each latte taking around 44 seconds to prepare, Jobs would need to wait some 48-hours before picking up his 4,000 lattes.
Seriously?
Hexiii is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:11 PM   #12
coltman75
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Funny enough, I was watching that clip this morning.

Remember that horrible partnership where the Starbucks icon would show up and you could download music that was playing? Man, that was ages ago.
Remember when it was called the "iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store" because you could only download music over Wi-Fi? Oh, lord, those were the dark ages.
coltman75 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:13 PM   #13
samcraig
macrumors G5

Cute story - but something doesn't add up - is it just me?

"She first found out from customers making a pilgrimage to the location, and now feels a sense of pride that the Apple cofounder chose her store. "Customers would sometimes come up to me and go, 'Did you know somebody at your store actually talked to Steve Jobs?' I feel very happy and lucky that I had a chance to actually talk to him. It means a lot to me that he picked our Starbucks," explains Hannah, wearing her green Starbucks apron. "My friends were surprised and jealous, like, 'Wow, you got a chance to talk to Steve Jobs?"

and yet the article states, "Kimiko Barbour, the store's manager, realized the reason for the recurring prank calls only after Fast Company made inquiries for this story. "

Sounds like Fast Company is taking credit for something they didn't really play a part in, no?

Are we to believe that from 2007 until 2013, the prank calls (given what I quoted before) weren't attributed?
samcraig is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:13 PM   #14
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Watching Steve do it during a live Keynote was funny, sure.

The fact that other people have continued to call to do the same is ... lame. You watched someone else make a prank call and you think it'd be funny to call the same store and do the exact same thing?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Piggie
macrumors 603

What they talk about here is what should be done.

Each company should concentrate all it's efforts onto what it does best.

You (Apple or anyone else) can connect to others and bring together, if you will, all the cherries into one pie.

So Why are Apple trying to do everything themselves now?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:13 PM   #16
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
in a moment that got one of the biggest laughs of his career
Really?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:15 PM   #17
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

I can't believe people actually call up to prank them in the same manner. It does prove George Carlin's statement though, "Some people are really ****** stupid."
UnfetteredMind is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:15 PM   #18
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
This was the day that I recognized Steve as not just a tech icon, but as an icon of our time. That was perhaps the most significant, most well done, and perhaps one of the most anticipated product launches of our time. I immediately recognized that then, and I will never forget it. Still a shame he's gone. That prank was just historical in it's own right!
SkippyThorson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

This video is a great reminder of how innovative all this was... I remember myself watching this keynote and being blown away by what Steve was showing.

No one was even close to what was being shown here.
Popeye206 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #20
needfx
macrumors 68030

how many seconds would double-shots add to the whole endeavour?
needfx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:19 PM   #21
topgunn
macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs would never have done...oh wait.
topgunn is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:20 PM   #22
macaddict06
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontech View Post
Attempting to call the Pope made me laugh, especially as he was trying to be Kissinger
Well, I guess he can just walk over and talk to him, now...:\

Miss you, Steve.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #23
chr1s60
macrumors 65816

I've watched that keynote multiple times. Great seeing Steve as excited as he was about the iPhone.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:29 PM   #24
RdeCourtney
macrumors newbie

In that clip, Safari definitely ISN'T snappier...
RdeCourtney is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 02:30 PM   #25
AppleFan360
macrumors 68000

The CEO of Google does a quick speech a few minutes later. He should have just stuck a knife in Steve's back right there. What a sleezeball.
AppleFan360 is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion