Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Project Amy Allows Users to Send App.net Private Messages via Messages for OS X

Steve Streza of Pocket (via MacStories) participated in App.net's hackathon over the weekend, producing Project Amy, which offers a way to integrate App.net private messages with Apple's Messages app for the Mac.

Project Amy uses both App.net's private messaging API that was introduced in December and Apple's IMServicePlugin.framework to add App.net as an account in Messages. It shows up as an account type option after being installed, much like other services AIM and Google Talk.

After entering a username and password, App.net contacts are displayed in the buddy list. Clicking on a contact opens a chat window, which begins an App.net private message conversation.
Quote:
It deeply integrates App.net into a major app. It doesn't rely on a proxy server (or in fact communicate with any API except for App.net), so there's no concerns about privacy and far less issues with stability. It uses 100% public, documented APIs that are exposed, so updates will not break the plugin (in theory). It's super simple to set up; just run the installer and add your account information. And it is an integration in an app used by millions of people, with a wide intersection of the people who use App.net. It fixes all of the problems, makes Messages more useful, and makes App.net more useful.
Streza notes that Project Amy is a beta and that it may have bugs. The software can be downloaded directly from App.net.

Article Link: Project Amy Allows Users to Send App.net Private Messages via Messages for OS X
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:11 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

I've always wanted to pay monthly to share my thoughts with a platform that none of my friends are on.
komodrone is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
I've always wanted to pay monthly to share my thoughts with a platform that none of my friends are on.
There's a free tier now. Subsidised by other users, not ads.
Saladinos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
I believe it has a fair amount of restrictions, though.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 09:17 PM   #5
cburton
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
Except for the cost part it sounds exactly like Google+!
cburton is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #6
scarred
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladinos View Post
The "free tier" is another benefit to those who pay. You can now invite your friends. Random people still can't sign up.
scarred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:31 AM   #7
powaking
macrumors 6502

I just want the iOS Messages app to include Google/AIM just like the OSX version. Why is that so hard? Oh and sharing the same icon would be nice too.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion