Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 4, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
ApplesAOranges
macrumors 6502

Will iPhone 5S have more battery life?

The one thing that would make me upgrade to 5S would be better battery life. Itīs all I ask. The battery is horrible in iPhone 5. It was a huge downgrade from iPhone 4īs battery. Even Appleīs own specs shows this. I can no longer be in peace that my battery will last the whole day. I use to have no worry at all. Sometimes I donīt want to even listen to music or browse the web when Iīm out, just so that the battery wonīt run out on me.

So I donīt really get what Apple is doing, I guess thinness wins? But I sincerily hope they will give us more battery life and never downgrade that again!
ApplesAOranges is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Looon
macrumors 6502a

Buy one of the Mophie cases that adds extra battery
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Baggio
macrumors 6502

I get decent battery life with my 5. I get about 7 hours of usage. My 4S couldn't even come close to that usage. My 4S got between 5 and 6 hours of usage.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
ApplesAOranges
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
I get decent battery life with my 5. I get about 7 hours of usage. My 4S couldn't even come close to that usage. My 4S got between 5 and 6 hours of usage.
Thatīs because 4S had a worse battery life than iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 has had the best battery life of all iPhones. Appleīs own specs even show this.
ApplesAOranges is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:43 PM   #5
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesAOranges View Post

iPhone 4 has had the best battery life of all iPhones. Appleīs own specs even show this.
Well, 4 got about the same as my 4S. Maybe slightly better, but no where near my 5.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:46 PM   #6
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
The battery is horrible in iPhone 5. It was a huge downgrade from iPhone 4īs battery. Even Appleīs own specs shows this.
What are you referring to?
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:51 AM   #7
ApplesAOranges
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
What are you referring to?
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

iPhone 5 standby 225h
iPhone 4S standby 200h
iPhone 4 standby 300h

Thatīs 75 hours more! 75 hours!
ApplesAOranges is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Mellisaray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post
good idea, but will it be better if the phone's battery life is long enough.
Mellisaray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:13 AM   #9
Grayburn
macrumors 65816

I get better Battery on my 5 then my 4 and much more then my 4S

Who knows what the 5S will have, i don't really care though as i wont be getting one.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:13 AM   #10
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Quote:

iPhone 5 standby 225h
iPhone 4S standby 200h
iPhone 4 standby 300h

There's one big difference: iPhone 4 got these results on iOS 4, iPhone 4S got these results on iOS 5, iPhone 5 got these results on iOS 6.

What I am saying is that with iOS 5 we got a new notifications system and a new lock screen. Nowadays, the screen lights up regularly for notifications of all kinds. On iOS 4, the screen usually only lighted up for messages and incoming calls. Few 3rd party apps produced notifications. Nowadays, you'll get a notification and the screen will light up for not playing a game for an hour "hey, come back and play our game, we miss you".

I bet you can achieve 300 hours of stand-by time when you turn all notifications off except for messages and calls.
ThatsMeRight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:43 AM   #11
ZombiePete
macrumors 65816

Quote:

iPhone 5 standby 225h
iPhone 4S standby 200h
iPhone 4 standby 300h

You're being pretty selective in the stats you're comparing; the iPhone 5 is the better of the bunch in every battery life spec except standby time. 225 hours is a long time for my phone to be sitting around and doing nothing, so I'm not sure how upset about that I would be if I had a 5 (I have a 4 currently; waiting for the 5S or whatever comes out next).

Considering the improvements in size, network connectivity, processing power, software features, and usage time...a 75 hour drop in standby time to "only" 225 hours seems like a pretty good compromise to me.
ZombiePete is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 06:57 AM   #12
mapledress
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, I agree with you. Mophie cases that adds extra battery could make things easier.
mapledress is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Yes, it will have more battery life.

Since no one but the Apple engineers know, everybody else who tries to answer your question really doesn't know anything...except me.

Only I know, unlike anybody else outside Apple, because I have a telepathic connection to the battery developers at Apple.

So, there will be a major improvement in battery life.

Trust me on this...

Old Mar 5, 2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
There's one big difference: iPhone 4 got these results on iOS 4, iPhone 4S got these results on iOS 5, iPhone 5 got these results on iOS 6.

What I am saying is that with iOS 5 we got a new notifications system and a new lock screen. Nowadays, the screen lights up regularly for notifications of all kinds. On iOS 4, the screen usually only lighted up for messages and incoming calls. Few 3rd party apps produced notifications. Nowadays, you'll get a notification and the screen will light up for not playing a game for an hour "hey, come back and play our game, we miss you".

I bet you can achieve 300 hours of stand-by time when you turn all notifications off except for messages and calls.
I've never actually see any iPhone 5 with standby time of 12-13 days (312) hours.....
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
I've never actually see any iPhone 5 with standby time of 12-13 days (312) hours.....
In airplane mode it might.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:30 PM   #16
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Morphie 5S case , totally agree with you and I think that we can only guess what the 5S battery will be
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:

iPhone 4 battery life has been OK at best in my experience (dealing with a few of the phones over the last couple of years), iPhone 5 battery performance has been at least somewhat better (again, dealing with a few of the phones over the past few months, so far).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Simple answer.....No.

Why? Because they are not going to change the design IMHO. It will be the same weight and thickness. It will have an improved processor and camera (no more purple hue problem). They might increase the screen's ppi, but I think it will be a minor upgrade overall.

I still think the iPhone 6 with iOS 7 will be significant upgrade. Probably a 4.5 inch screen, again better processor, possibly better battery. But remember, to increase the battery life they will almost have to put a larger, heavier battery in the phone and Apple just loves to have a light device. That said, iOS 7 and a better, more efficient processor could help increase battery life.
Browns2212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone