Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
So, my ibook G4 has a dead hard drive. Luckily everything is on the cloud (emails, server, etc) so I am in the need of replacing the hard drive. I have a hard drive, but the main problem now is that one of the Torx screw that is below the ibook is not coming out.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get such screw out?

Also, I found out the 'freezing' problems. I took out the Airport card, I was about to give up when I gave the Kubuntu 12.04 live cd a last try. Well, I don't have freezing problems anymore, so it was the Airport card. Is there a way to fix that? I don't want to use a bulky USB Wifi....

Thanks!

wobegong

May 29, 2012
So, my ibook G4 has a dead hard drive. Luckily everything is on the cloud (emails, server, etc) so I am in the need of replacing the hard drive. I have a hard drive, but the main problem now is that one of the Torx screw that is below the ibook is not coming out.

Also, I found out the 'freezing' problems. I took out the Airport card, I was about to give up when I gave the Kubuntu 12.04 live cd a last try. Well, I don't have freezing problems anymore, so it was the Airport card. Is there a way to fix that? I don't want to use a bulky USB Wifi....

Thanks!

First of all I absolve myself of you damaging your drive but this is what i do when I get a stuck Torx...

Lean (not TOO hard but certainly firmly) on the Torx once you have positioned the screwdriver as well as you can on the Torx screw head ABSOLUTELY VERTICAL, put your palm on top of the screwdriver and push down firmly (not enough to damage the unit) - With your other hand use a pair of pliers to turn the screwdriver VERY SLOWLY and precisely (make sure the screwdriver is absolutely vertical and STOP if the Torx ridges don't 'bite' to avoid damaging the screw head further). This has worked for me on many many occasions but you do have to judge just how much pressure you push down with.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio

Use a hammer.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Well, I'm typing this in the same ibook! I successfully replaced the hard drive for one that has 60 GB.... I went to a guy who has more experience with macs (he received a 'broken' macbook pro for free and repaired himself)

The problem is that... I installed Kubuntu 12.04, which is pretty fast and looks very pretty buuuuuut the fan is way too loud, so my guess is that it is kinda heavy....

So here is the question:

Do you know where I can get a copy of Leopard?

I need it, even more now since I'm involved in a web development project which requires me to become a graphic designer (which I'm not) I really need it so please please someone respond to this... Thanks!

(by get I mean buy ;) )

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Well, I'm typing this in the same ibook! I successfully replaced the hard drive for one that has 60 GB.... I went to a guy who has more experience with macs (he received a 'broken' macbook pro for free and repaired himself)

The problem is that... I installed Kubuntu 12.04, which is pretty fast and looks very pretty buuuuuut the fan is way too loud, so my guess is that it is kinda heavy....

So here is the question:

Do you know where I can get a copy of Leopard?

I need it, even more now since I'm involved in a web development project which requires me to become a graphic designer (which I'm not) I really need it so please please someone respond to this... Thanks!

(by get I mean buy ;) )

The fan problem may not be CPU load, I believe (but could be wrong) that Ubuntu needs some updates loaded (run Software Updater) to play nicely with the Apple thermal dynamics, until this is done the fans run wild.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Screws can always be pried like nails.

This is a screw:
sm_screw_1g.gif

Note the ridges present on the screw.
This is a nail:
iron_nail.jpg

Note the absence of the ridges.

Screws can be pried like nails. It is also a terrible idea when one is prying them out of plastic.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Screws can always be pried like nails.

Please, please stop. It would damage the unit. Can someone seriously ban this guy? The advice is not helpful at all and it is actually a dangerous advice.

----------

The fan problem may not be CPU load, I believe (but could be wrong) that Ubuntu needs some updates loaded (run Software Updater) to play nicely with the Apple thermal dynamics, until this is done the fans run wild.

I don't know, I don't want to run any risk with Kubuntu.

----------

By the way I was able to replace the hard drive.

jackolantern

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Airport Antenna Cable Ripped Out, still works?

I have to post this question as a reply, since there is no button or function available to post a new thread. Sorry.

iBook G4
Airport extreme has an antenna with chewed off end. I gather the cable connects to the inside of the monitor.

The card finds no networks, has no bandwidth whatsoever.

It it found by the OS and appears to work fine, but I am wondering how to fix the antenna or what, because they sell cards online but they don't come with antennas.

Do I need a new LCD display?

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I have to post this question as a reply, since there is no button or function available to post a new thread. Sorry.

iBook G4
Airport extreme has an antenna with chewed off end. I gather the cable connects to the inside of the monitor.

The card finds no networks, has no bandwidth whatsoever.

It it found by the OS and appears to work fine, but I am wondering how to fix the antenna or what, because they sell cards online but they don't come with antennas.

Do I need a new LCD display?

You can find iBook airport antennas on ebay for around 10 bucks. Installation is probably not fun, but doable. ifixit.com probably has some kind of step by step guide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.