Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I was just watching a few minutes of the iPhone keynote from 2007 after the clip appeared on the frontpage here. Around 21 minutes Jobs talks about an official Bluetooth headset that launched with the iPhone?

i never heard of it in all my years of following apple. does anyone have any more information about it? Just curious.

Although this is an accesory I put it in the main iPhone subforum because it's more about the history of the iPhone. please feel free to move it should you feel the need though, mods.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It launched with the original iPhone but I'm pretty sure it didn't last past that. It was certainly gone by the time the iPhone 3G launched here and was never sold in this country.

Reports were it was uncomfortable and did a pretty lousy job of eliminating background noise.

The dock it came with was cool though.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Ugh. Why can't Apple update one of these. One of my coworkers had one and said it was great compared to others on the market at the time.

I'd rather them spend time doing this than wasting it on a watch.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Apparently it wasn't well liked, battery life wasn't great and it wasn't a big seller, so it was discontinued.

It's a shame too because it apparently integrated really nicely with the iPhone (which even showed the battery life of the headset and such).

Macguy76

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Texas
I had actually bought one along with the original iPhone back in 2007. It was actually a very nice Bluetooth headset at the time. However, They did discontinue the headset right along with the iPhone 3G introduction if memory serves me correct. I actually still have mine. It was very cool looking and it came with a dock for the iPhone that would charge the phone and headset at the same time.

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I used to have one and it looked nice and the dual charging dock was slick but the sound quality was so bad that most of the time whoever was on the other end of the call would complain so I stopped using it. I use the cheap headphones that come with the phone for conference calls now.

It would be nice if Apple would do this again but they don't even make docks anymore and that was half the appeal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.