Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:11 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Next-Generation iPads Due in April, iPhone 5S in August?

Following today's research report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggesting that the iPhone 5S could launch in July with a fingerprint sensor, Rene Ritchie at iMore confirms that the iPhone 5S will be unveiled during the summer, but targets an August release date.

Apple has previously launched phones in June through October, with the iPhone 4S released in October and the iPhone 5 released in September.

According to Ritchie, the upcoming iPhone 5S will be similar to the iPhone 4S, improving the internals of the phone while leaving the outer casing untouched.
Quote:
Sources familiar with the plans have told iMore that the iPhone 5S does indeed have the same basic design as the iPhone 5, with a more advanced processor and an improved camera. With the iPhone 5, Apple reduced the thinness of the casing but managed to keep essentially the same, if not slightly better, overall quality.

Given the dimensions, or lack-thereof, that in-and-of itself was a feat of engineering. With the iPhone 5S, the aim is to once again raise the bar in terms of iPhone optics, including a much better camera in essentially the same casing. No huge surprises there, given the past history of S-class iPhones.
iMore is also predicting a possible April launch date for the fifth generation iPad and the second generation iPad mini, which would be in line with the previous spring launch dates for the original iPad, the iPad 2, and the third generation iPad. According to iMore, a casing redesign is expected for the fifth generation iPad, but it remains unclear if the iPad mini will feature Retina.
Quote:
Apple is not going to release iPads that costs more or don't get as good battery life as the current models. So, if the next iPad mini does end up getting slated for April, it could be a spec bump, or have something other than Retina as a differentiator. Hopefully we'll know more soon.
Previous Retina iPad mini speculation has suggested a fall release date, which could fit in with iMore's predicted April launch if Apple moves to a bi-annual release schedule for its tablets. The Cupertino-based company could potentially release an iPad mini with a minor spec bump in April, and another with a Retina display in the fall.

iMore has been spot on with recent Apple releases, reporting the Lightning connector several months before it was released and predicting both the iPad mini launch date and the announcement date of the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPads Due in April, iPhone 5S in August?
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:12 AM   #2
komodrone
Banned

this article is such a great read on my iPad 4 that I just got yesterday.
komodrone is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:14 AM   #3
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
this article is such a great read on my iPad 4 that I just got yesterday.
So return it
NutsNGum is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:18 AM   #4
movielad
macrumors newbie

Quality Control and Environmental Concerns

What really concerns me with Apple's potential accelerated product launches (on certain product lines) is the impact all these new models are having on the environment and that of the market. It's going to lead to a lot of fragmentation as clearly many people cannot afford just to go out and buy a brand new Apple device every single time a new generation is released.

And can a company really maintain a realistic quality control on these products at the same time?

Apple needs to slow down a bit before it starts getting messy.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:19 AM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Ain't gonna happen..... It would mean that the iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2 would have to be in mass production NOW, and we have have had little evidence of actual production.

This is just someones predictions based on a '6 month time period', not evidence of actual hardware availability.
MacRumorUser is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:26 AM   #6
lk400
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Ain't gonna happen..... It would mean that the iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2 would have to be in mass production NOW, and we have have had little evidence of actual production.

This is just someones predictions based on a '6 month time period', not evidence of actual hardware availability.
As are all of these "analyst" reports/predictions. Take historical time frames / previous upgrade features based on current cycle, mix in a little from the rumour mill, add a small amount of logical thought and then phrase it in overly confident, authoritative terms using industry terminology and words implying certainly like "will". There you go, every analyst report ever.
lk400 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:29 AM   #7
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Yes apple, keep moving forward. Release the iPad 5 and iPhone 5S asap.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:33 AM   #8
needfx
macrumors 68020

updates are coming in tooooo fast
needfx is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Castiel
macrumors regular

The bitter side of me wants the 5S to fail. Then maybe the yawn-inducing S models will be a thing of the past.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:37 AM   #10
Smeaton1724
macrumors regular

I see the new iPad 5 as a 'slim down and make lighter' update. iPad 4 has the retina, the speed (1800 on benchmarks vs 800 for the ipad 3) and the new connector. As such I'm happy I won't feel too much buyers remorse on my 128GB iPad 4 I got 3 days ago.

The iPad Mini it is replacing on the other hand has probably the look the iPad line is going to take going forward but internally is a full redesign, screen, in turn processor and then battery life.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:37 AM   #11
brutusvimes
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
We do. The shell has already been leaked, and with the internals likely being similar I wouldn't expect new chips. Moreover, some case designs for the "new" iPad are already hitting the market.

I mean, I'm also not sure there's an imminent release. But there have been rumblings.
brutusvimes is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:38 AM   #12
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

If only Apple were as relentless with software as it is with hardware. Hardware seems to come easier to them these days.
swingerofbirch is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:45 AM   #13
mrtravel123
macrumors regular

Countdown to all the "I just bought a new iPad.... and now it is obsolete." comments. lol

Note:
If Apple takes too long to update a product they get criticized.
If Apple updates a product too quickly they get criticized.

It seems like people just look for reasons to complain at times.
mrtravel123 is offline   45 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:45 AM   #14
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Faster processor and a better camera, so predictable. It'll probably be iPhone 4S users' turn to upgrade.

Having said that, I'm more interested in iOS 7 than what the new iPhone's hardware.
Beeplance is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:49 AM   #15
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
So return it
restocking fee.
komodrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:50 AM   #16
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
updates are coming in tooooo fast
Not for me, I've been waiting to update my 3Gs and would love to get an iPad!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:51 AM   #17
baryon
macrumors 68030

If they release the iPad 5, will there be a "normally priced" iPad 2 still around, or will that become the iPad 3? If so, for the first time, you could get a retina iPad for the original iPad price. I think the new iPads are currently just too expensive.

I hope the iPad Mini with retina (whenever that will be) will remain the same price.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:53 AM   #18
j2004p
macrumors member

'Apple reduced the thinness'

So they made it thicker????
j2004p is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:58 AM   #19
Four oF NINE
macrumors 65816

iPhone 5S with a thumb print reader would be a substantial upgrade

I've never seen such a bunch of crybabies that just can't stand the fact that Apple isn't making a plastic oversize crap plastic Nexus phone..

If that's what you prefer, buy it! Don't be annoyed that Apple has a different vision. Obviously, none of you complainers comprehend that.

Oh, and go hang out at the Android fan sites, if there are any.
Four oF NINE is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:02 AM   #20
iKrivetko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by baryon View Post
If they release the iPad 5, will there be a "normally priced" iPad 2 still around, or will that become the iPad 3? If so, for the first time, you could get a retina iPad for the original iPad price. I think the new iPads are currently just too expensive.

I hope the iPad Mini with retina (whenever that will be) will remain the same price.
If I were Apple, I would make the 4th generation iPad with 16 gigs the "entry-level" model and sell the 32/64/128 versions of the fifth generation at the prices of the current 4th gen's 16/32/64 versions.

Last edited by iKrivetko; Mar 5, 2013 at 04:15 AM.
iKrivetko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:11 AM   #21
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
restocking fee.
Not at Apple Stores...guess you got it at another retailer?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:24 AM   #22
spetznatz
macrumors regular

Let's just hope they get rid of the slate anodising for the 5S and go back to silver aluminium. A lot of black iPhone 5s, after just five months, look like crap.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:33 AM   #23
flameproof
macrumors 6502a

...or in other words, nothing new coming out. But some old stuff gets repacked.

What happened to 'Think Different'?
flameproof is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:47 AM   #24
olegandbuster25
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to olegandbuster25
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2004p View Post
'Apple reduced the thinness'

So they made it thicker????
haha right thats what i said. they might have been spot on before but this rumor is wack. bought a mini for the wife yesterday, not to worried i guess i can always return it if they have a new one next month
but i dont see it happening.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:49 AM   #25
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielad View Post
What really concerns me with Apple's potential accelerated product launches (on certain product lines) is the impact all these new models are having on the environment and that of the market. It's going to lead to a lot of fragmentation as clearly many people cannot afford just to go out and buy a brand new Apple device every single time a new generation is released.

And can a company really maintain a realistic quality control on these products at the same time?

Apple needs to slow down a bit before it starts getting messy.
Oh my god. The sky is falling down. You realise that there are lots of people complaining about exactly the opposite? And what kind of mentality do people have who think they should buy another iPad just because Apple has released a new model? Grow up, people! You should buy a product if you feel that at the moment you buy it you will be better off having the product in your hand and the money gone from your pocket. If you buy an iPad every two years, what does it matter to you how many iPads Apple releases in the meantime?

And I think you don't understand the meaning of "fragmentation". For Android device, people complain rightfully about fragmentation because there are plenty of devices with ancient Android versions, plenty of devices with similar Android versions behaving differently, and each device has a different screen resolution. Apple has kept all these differences hidden from developers. iPad 1 apps run fine on an iPad Mini.
gnasher729 is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion