Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's research report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggesting that the iPhone 5S could launch in July with a fingerprint sensor, Rene Ritchie at iMore confirms that the iPhone 5S will be unveiled during the summer, but targets an August release date.

Apple has previously launched phones in June through October, with the iPhone 4S released in October and the iPhone 5 released in September.

iphone_ipad_ipad_mini_update.jpg
According to Ritchie, the upcoming iPhone 5S will be similar to the iPhone 4S, improving the internals of the phone while leaving the outer casing untouched.
Sources familiar with the plans have told iMore that the iPhone 5S does indeed have the same basic design as the iPhone 5, with a more advanced processor and an improved camera. With the iPhone 5, Apple reduced the thinness of the casing but managed to keep essentially the same, if not slightly better, overall quality.

Given the dimensions, or lack-thereof, that in-and-of itself was a feat of engineering. With the iPhone 5S, the aim is to once again raise the bar in terms of iPhone optics, including a much better camera in essentially the same casing. No huge surprises there, given the past history of S-class iPhones.
iMore is also predicting a possible April launch date for the fifth generation iPad and the second generation iPad mini, which would be in line with the previous spring launch dates for the original iPad, the iPad 2, and the third generation iPad. According to iMore, a casing redesign is expected for the fifth generation iPad, but it remains unclear if the iPad mini will feature Retina.
Apple is not going to release iPads that costs more or don't get as good battery life as the current models. So, if the next iPad mini does end up getting slated for April, it could be a spec bump, or have something other than Retina as a differentiator. Hopefully we'll know more soon.
Previous Retina iPad mini speculation has suggested a fall release date, which could fit in with iMore's predicted April launch if Apple moves to a bi-annual release schedule for its tablets. The Cupertino-based company could potentially release an iPad mini with a minor spec bump in April, and another with a Retina display in the fall.

iMore has been spot on with recent Apple releases, reporting the Lightning connector several months before it was released and predicting both the iPad mini launch date and the announcement date of the iPhone 5.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPads Due in April, iPhone 5S in August?

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Quality Control and Environmental Concerns

What really concerns me with Apple's potential accelerated product launches (on certain product lines) is the impact all these new models are having on the environment and that of the market. It's going to lead to a lot of fragmentation as clearly many people cannot afford just to go out and buy a brand new Apple device every single time a new generation is released.

And can a company really maintain a realistic quality control on these products at the same time?

Apple needs to slow down a bit before it starts getting messy.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ain't gonna happen..... It would mean that the iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2 would have to be in mass production NOW, and we have have had little evidence of actual production.

This is just someones predictions based on a '6 month time period', not evidence of actual hardware availability.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Ain't gonna happen..... It would mean that the iPad 5th gen and iPad mini 2 would have to be in mass production NOW, and we have have had little evidence of actual production.

This is just someones predictions based on a '6 month time period', not evidence of actual hardware availability.

As are all of these "analyst" reports/predictions. Take historical time frames / previous upgrade features based on current cycle, mix in a little from the rumour mill, add a small amount of logical thought and then phrase it in overly confident, authoritative terms using industry terminology and words implying certainly like "will". There you go, every analyst report ever.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Yes apple, keep moving forward. Release the iPad 5 and iPhone 5S asap.

Castiel

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Ohio
The bitter side of me wants the 5S to fail. Then maybe the yawn-inducing S models will be a thing of the past.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
I see the new iPad 5 as a 'slim down and make lighter' update. iPad 4 has the retina, the speed (1800 on benchmarks vs 800 for the ipad 3) and the new connector. As such I'm happy I won't feel too much buyers remorse on my 128GB iPad 4 I got 3 days ago.

The iPad Mini it is replacing on the other hand has probably the look the iPad line is going to take going forward but internally is a full redesign, screen, in turn processor and then battery life.

brutusvimes

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007

We do. The shell has already been leaked, and with the internals likely being similar I wouldn't expect new chips. Moreover, some case designs for the "new" iPad are already hitting the market.

I mean, I'm also not sure there's an imminent release. But there have been rumblings. :)

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Countdown to all the "I just bought a new iPad.... and now it is obsolete." comments. lol

Note:
If Apple takes too long to update a product they get criticized.
If Apple updates a product too quickly they get criticized.

It seems like people just look for reasons to complain at times.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Faster processor and a better camera, so predictable. It'll probably be iPhone 4S users' turn to upgrade.

Having said that, I'm more interested in iOS 7 than what the new iPhone's hardware.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
If they release the iPad 5, will there be a "normally priced" iPad 2 still around, or will that become the iPad 3? If so, for the first time, you could get a retina iPad for the original iPad price. I think the new iPads are currently just too expensive.

I hope the iPad Mini with retina (whenever that will be) will remain the same price.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
iPhone 5S with a thumb print reader would be a substantial upgrade

I've never seen such a bunch of crybabies that just can't stand the fact that Apple isn't making a plastic oversize crap plastic Nexus phone..

If that's what you prefer, buy it! Don't be annoyed that Apple has a different vision. Obviously, none of you complainers comprehend that.

Oh, and go hang out at the Android fan sites, if there are any.

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010
If they release the iPad 5, will there be a "normally priced" iPad 2 still around, or will that become the iPad 3? If so, for the first time, you could get a retina iPad for the original iPad price. I think the new iPads are currently just too expensive.

I hope the iPad Mini with retina (whenever that will be) will remain the same price.

If I were Apple, I would make the 4th generation iPad with 16 gigs the "entry-level" model and sell the 32/64/128 versions of the fifth generation at the prices of the current 4th gen's 16/32/64 versions.

Last edited:

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Let's just hope they get rid of the slate anodising for the 5S and go back to silver aluminium. A lot of black iPhone 5s, after just five months, look like crap.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
...or in other words, nothing new coming out. But some old stuff gets repacked.

What happened to 'Think Different'?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
What really concerns me with Apple's potential accelerated product launches (on certain product lines) is the impact all these new models are having on the environment and that of the market. It's going to lead to a lot of fragmentation as clearly many people cannot afford just to go out and buy a brand new Apple device every single time a new generation is released.

And can a company really maintain a realistic quality control on these products at the same time?

Apple needs to slow down a bit before it starts getting messy.

Oh my god. The sky is falling down. You realise that there are lots of people complaining about exactly the opposite? And what kind of mentality do people have who think they should buy another iPad just because Apple has released a new model? Grow up, people! You should buy a product if you feel that at the moment you buy it you will be better off having the product in your hand and the money gone from your pocket. If you buy an iPad every two years, what does it matter to you how many iPads Apple releases in the meantime?

And I think you don't understand the meaning of "fragmentation". For Android device, people complain rightfully about fragmentation because there are plenty of devices with ancient Android versions, plenty of devices with similar Android versions behaving differently, and each device has a different screen resolution. Apple has kept all these differences hidden from developers. iPad 1 apps run fine on an iPad Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.