Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Former Apple Ad Man Says Apple Considered Calling the iPhone the 'TriPod', 'TelePod', 'Mobi', or 'iPad'

Former Apple advertising lead Ken Segall was at an event for the University of Arizona's Department of Marketing tonight and in giving the latest version of his "Insanely Simple" talk revealed some of the names Apple considered for its smartphone before settling on "iPhone", reports 9to5Mac.

The proposed names included "TelePod," "Mobi," "TriPod" and "iPad." Segall also presented the name "MicroMac" to his audience, but insisted that it was not under consideration and that he wanted to gauge their thoughts on the name. In past versions of the talk, Segall has presented "PocketMac" as the outlier option that was not actually considered.

Segall went on to explain the thought process of the names:

- TelePod: Segall said Apple considered this name because it sounded like a "futuristic twist" on the word "telephone." The "Pod" part obviously came about from the success of the iPod.

- Mobi: This name was in consideration not only because it was a creative take on the word "mobile," but that it also had personality, Segall said.

- TriPod: When Steve Jobs revealed the iPhone, he famously referred to it as three devices in one: an iPod, an Internet device and a phone. This name likely had an impact on that presentation and represents the three "legs" that the iPhone was built on.

- iPad: This eventually became the name of Apple's tablet line, but Segall said it was under consideration for the company's smartphone product as well. Steve Jobs did confirm that Apple had been working on a tablet before it started working on a phone, and that the tablet had internally been codenamed "Safari Pad."

Of course, Apple eventually settled on the name "iPhone". At the time, Cisco actually held the U.S. trademark for iPhone for a line of VoIP handsets, but the two companies eventually reached a trademark agreement over the name.

Article Link: Former Apple Ad Man Says Apple Considered Calling the iPhone the 'TriPod', 'TelePod', 'Mobi', or 'iPad'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:10 AM   #2
SkippyThorson
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to SkippyThorson
I couldn't imagine any other way; not without that instantly recognizable, iconic name.

Someone made the right call. The iPad name just wouldn't have been the same. Not only because iPhone was just right, but because it would have stolen the name from the yet-to-come tablet. What would it have been if it weren't iPad?

Always interesting hearing these backstories. Thanks MacRumors!
SkippyThorson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Hindsight...

Had it been called the "iBzlourged(tm)", that would be what everybody would want and know. That said, iPhone is still the best name out of that list.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

That would have been a disaster!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
jhead95
macrumors member

How silly they all sound now!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:22 AM   #6
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Actually iPhone was the only good name.

iMac = internet Macintosh so the iPhone = internet Phone was a logical step to make for the phone's name.

Yes the i stands for internet.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
rei101
macrumors 6502a

But the screw it with something called "Mac Book Pro", what a complicated name, is like going off road on a jeep and trying to talk.

iPhone was good.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post

iMac = internet Macintosh so the iPhone = internet Phone was a logical step to make for the phone's name.

I love how companies put "i" in front of stuff for their products and they have nothing to do with the internet.

iMattress... really??
Primejimbo is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:11 AM   #9
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Hindsight...

Had it been called the "iBzlourged(tm)", that would be what everybody would want and know. That said, iPhone is still the best name out of that list.
Agreed.

If they called it the "Mobi" years ago and MacRumors put out a story stating that, at one point, Apple considered calling it the "iPhone" we'd be saying "thank goodness, they didn't pick that name!"
HarryKeogh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I seem to recall a time everyone here hated the names iPod and iPad, but we've come to love those names, have we not?

Although I think iPhone and iTV were names that always made sense and we always liked.

AppleTV is still a bit of a mouth full... I don't think they refer to any other product they have as an "Apple" anything, do they?
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Notice how the word "phone" sounds way cooler today than "telephone". I'm surely that's largely to us being used to the iPhone.

Had it been named TelePod or something else, saying "phone" today might've sounded as lame as "telephone".
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #12
johncrab
macrumors 6502

Kirk to Scotty......Kirk to Scotty...Come in Scotty.....Where are you Scotty.....

Oh yeah, the iPhone works. The S-T communicators seldom did.
johncrab is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:22 AM   #13
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I seem to recall a time everyone here hated the names iPod and iPad, but we've come to love those names, have we not?

Although I think iPhone and iTV were names that always made sense and we always liked.

AppleTV is still a bit of a mouth full... I don't think they refer to any other product they have as an "Apple" anything, do they?
Well, there was "Apple Cinema Display" but that product is kinda dead now.

Actually, found this!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:49 AM   #14
gnasher729
macrumors G5

What exactly does "Apple considered" mean? Names that were written down during a brainstorming session? And clearly all these are names that Apple considered not good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I don't think anyone hated them. There were quite a lot of people with a mental age of at most 10 who _loved_ the name iPad, just for the wrong reason :-)
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Batavian
macrumors 6502

I think we are all moving towards the "Tri-corder".

Beam me up Scotty!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:28 PM   #16
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Could have sworn Jobs also suggested "Magic Phone", although that could very well have been a joke.

I still liked "iMobile".
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:50 PM   #17
verniesgarden
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to verniesgarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
But the screw it with something called "Mac Book Pro", what a complicated name, is like going off road on a jeep and trying to talk.

iPhone was good.
What's funny is that apple uses a very "news speak" naming convention for products, especially interesting due to the 1984 commercial.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:02 PM   #18
Adam Betts
macrumors newbie

Quote:

It's not just internet. From Steve Jobs:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iapple.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	400872  
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:52 PM   #19
dBeats
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batavian View Post
I think we are all moving towards the "Tri-corder".

Beam me up Scotty!
I was going to post that I think they missed why they considered triPod. Steve Jobs once famously said, "Just give me Star Trek" and I'm pretty sure the triPod reference was to the tricorder, not that it was three in one device.
dBeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:53 PM   #20
Schmitty11
Banned

Quote:

What about the Original iPods? Before the Touch and iphone and what not?
Schmitty11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:20 PM   #21
BvizioN
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
It's not just internet. From Steve Jobs:
True. Early iPods had no internet. Nor does the current iPod shuffle.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:36 PM   #22
baryon
macrumors 68030

This shows how damn important it is to name your product right. iPhone just makes complete sense, and everything you need to know is in the name: it's made by Apple and it's a phone.

vs. something meaningless like "Galaxy S III", which might as well be the name for a space telescope.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 03:47 PM   #23
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
That would have been a disaster!
Regarding the fact how product naming influences the design philosophy as explained by Sir Ive I don't really want to imagine how a Mobi would have looked like.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:11 PM   #24
sitsonthefence
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Notice how the word "phone" sounds way cooler today than "telephone". I'm surely that's largely to us being used to the iPhone.

Had it been named TelePod or something else, saying "phone" today might've sounded as lame as "telephone".
I'm sure I called the phone a phone long before the iPhone? Wasn't it just cooler to shorten everything?

Last edited by sitsonthefence; Mar 5, 2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Misunderstood original quote..
sitsonthefence is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:43 PM   #25
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Doesn't everyone remember the first day the original iPad was officially announced, and the entire Apple-hating media pundits said that iPad was the worst possible name, and then all the Maxipad and tampon jokes started going viral?
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion