Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
I purchased a game download from Amazon for my new iMac - Call of Duty 4. I am getting the following error when I try to install:

The following disk images couldn't be opened

CallOfDuty4.dmg - invalid checksum

I have deleted everything and re-downloaded and tried to install this game several times. Each time it stops midway through the download and gives me an error message, but once I double click on the installer, it resumes and finishes the download, but once I try to install, I get the message above.

Any way to fix this problem? I tried calling Amazon's help line, but they really couldn't help. They have offered a refund, but I got a great deal on this game - $9.99. I would rather try to get this one to work.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Invalid checksum means it is not 100%, so data is somewhere corrupted.

BUT, I had several .DMG which I could not open on my new OS (Bought a Mini 2 weeks ago) but when I transferred them to my Powerbook on 10.5.8 they all opened, I then transferred the App and had no troubles with the Apps.

I think in your case though it is corrupted because you got an error halfway.
Try downloading on another computer and transfer it.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
Invalid checksum means it is not 100%, so data is somewhere corrupted.

BUT, I had several .DMG which I could not open on my new OS (Bought a Mini 2 weeks ago) but when I transferred them to my Powerbook on 10.5.8 they all opened, I then transferred the App and had no troubles with the Apps.

I think in your case though it is corrupted because you got an error halfway.
Try downloading on another computer and transfer it.

Could I download to my Windows PC and then transfer it? I don't have another mac.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Could I download to my Windows PC and then transfer it? I don't have another mac.

I don't see why not, data is data, you can not open it there though, not without 3rd party software.

You could also use a download manager on the mac, like iGetter, it's a trail but just get a nagging window each time you launch it but you can use it forever.
To do so, right click on the download in Safari, copy address and paste in iGetter.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
That makes sense. I could try that and then just move it over ethernet.

Thanks! I'll let you know if it works.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
This is not working because it downloads a dmg downloader file first. I can't run this file to do the actual download on Windows.

Any other ideas?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
This is not working because it downloads a dmg downloader file first. I can't run this file to do the actual download on Windows.

Any other ideas?

Should have been more clear, iGetter is for on the Mac, not windows, it is better for large downloads to use this download manager, less chance for corrupted data, so, or download from within windows with IE or any other browser, or use iGetter on the Mac to download it there, the second is better imo.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks. I was actually able to get it to work by fixing my permissions and re-downloading it again. This was a tip on the MacRumors guides for when downloads are not working correctly.

This was a download directly from Amazon so I don't know if a download manager would work. I will try iGetter next time.

Thanks for the help!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks. I was actually able to get it to work by fixing my permissions and re-downloading it again. This was a tip on the MacRumors guides for when downloads are not working correctly.

This was a download directly from Amazon so I don't know if a download manager would work. I will try iGetter next time.

Thanks for the help!

Contact Amazon for support.

dnaylor

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2014
Ive been having the same exact issue, bought COD 4 off of amazon and the same message is popping up as I try to install. Is there anyway possible for me to install this game on my macbook pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.