Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates iBooks with Paid Japanese Books, Greater Asian Language Support

Apple today updated iBooks to version 3.1, bringing new support for paid books in Japan and enhanced support for Asian languages.
Quote:
What's New in Version 3.1

The iBookstore in Japan now has hundreds of thousands of books available for purchase, including fiction,
manga, light novels and more. This version of iBooks also includes a number of improvements for reading
Asian language books.
iBooks is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates iBooks with Paid Japanese Books, Greater Asian Language Support
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Yvan256
macrumors 601

And yet they still display the date in the USA format.
Yvan256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
a0me
macrumors 6502a

And yet I had to buy the Kindle version of Steve Jobs because the Japanese iTunes store only sells the Japanese version. (Amazon and the Kindle store sells both the original and the Japanese translation)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
The screenshots is taken with the US settings.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Tres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Couldn't possibly be because that iPad is set to English language mode
Tres is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Inkling
macrumors newbie

Buy direct from Japan

I've got a question for those in the know. Is Apple building an iBookstore where people anywhere can buy ebooks from any country? It would certainly be simpler for the Japanese iBookstore handle all the Japanese language titles but sell to people anywhere.

I'm sure there may be rights issues, but that could be worked around if the publisher has the rights in both countries. And it'd be great if iBooks knew how to find and buy books from all the countries where's there's a store.

Books shouldn't be bound by borders.
Inkling is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Books shouldn't be, music and movies too. But they are. At least with Kindle I still can buy English books also while beeing in Japan. The border-thinking makes digital content for me difficult to fully adopt. As much as I would like to.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #7
MrGouda
macrumors member

I like how the pic is One Piece!

Love that manga!!!
MrGouda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
hakuin
macrumors regular

And can I read this on a Mac?
hakuin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:23 AM   #9
stevenscreek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I've got a question for those in the know. Is Apple building an iBookstore where people anywhere can buy ebooks from any country? It would certainly be simpler for the Japanese iBookstore handle all the Japanese language titles but sell to people anywhere.

I'm sure there may be rights issues, but that could be worked around if the publisher has the rights in both countries. And it'd be great if iBooks knew how to find and buy books from all the countries where's there's a store.

I agree that books should not be bound by borders! Book availability for the iBookstore is solely at the discretion of the book providers, not Apple. A provider can set the countries they can permit their book to be sold, providing they have cleared all the rights to do so. There is really only one iBookstore, with each book getting clearance to be sold in whatever country the provider has set.
stevenscreek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion