Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated iBooks to version 3.1, bringing new support for paid books in Japan and enhanced support for Asian languages.
What's New in Version 3.1

The iBookstore in Japan now has hundreds of thousands of books available for purchase, including fiction,
manga, light novels and more. This version of iBooks also includes a number of improvements for reading
Asian language books.
ibooks_paid_japan.jpg
iBooks is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates iBooks with Paid Japanese Books, Greater Asian Language Support

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
And yet I had to buy the Kindle version of Steve Jobs because the Japanese iTunes store only sells the Japanese version. (Amazon and the Kindle store sells both the original and the Japanese translation)

----------

And yet they still display the date in the USA format. :rolleyes:
The screenshots is taken with the US settings.

Inkling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Buy direct from Japan

I've got a question for those in the know. Is Apple building an iBookstore where people anywhere can buy ebooks from any country? It would certainly be simpler for the Japanese iBookstore handle all the Japanese language titles but sell to people anywhere.

I'm sure there may be rights issues, but that could be worked around if the publisher has the rights in both countries. And it'd be great if iBooks knew how to find and buy books from all the countries where's there's a store.

Books shouldn't be bound by borders.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

Books shouldn't be, music and movies too. But they are. At least with Kindle I still can buy English books also while beeing in Japan. The border-thinking makes digital content for me difficult to fully adopt. As much as I would like to.

stevenscreek

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
I've got a question for those in the know. Is Apple building an iBookstore where people anywhere can buy ebooks from any country? It would certainly be simpler for the Japanese iBookstore handle all the Japanese language titles but sell to people anywhere.

I'm sure there may be rights issues, but that could be worked around if the publisher has the rights in both countries. And it'd be great if iBooks knew how to find and buy books from all the countries where's there's a store.

I agree that books should not be bound by borders! Book availability for the iBookstore is solely at the discretion of the book providers, not Apple. A provider can set the countries they can permit their book to be sold, providing they have cleared all the rights to do so. There is really only one iBookstore, with each book getting clearance to be sold in whatever country the provider has set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.