Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Closed Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Thieves Use Bear Spray in Robbery of Vancouver's Oakridge Centre Apple Store

As reported by The Vancouver Sun, three men discharged bear repellant during a robbery of Apple's Oakridge Centre retail store in Vancouver while the store was full of customers last night.

Photo: @CTVBCBRK
Police say three men entered the store shortly before 7:00 PM last night while around 40 customers were in the store, discharging the spray and stealing "a small number of electronics [items]" before fleeing.

Five people were treated at the scene by paramedics for the effects of exposure to the spray. A police dog unit recovered some of the stolen items but the thieves have not yet been found.

It is not known whether there is a link to a robbery in January in the same city, where two men robbed a jewelry store at gunpoint before fleeing 'in a cloud of bear spray'.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

The discussion thread is currently closed.

Article Link: Thieves Use Bear Spray in Robbery of Vancouver's Oakridge Centre Apple Store
MacRumors is offline   0
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
designs216
macrumors 65816

On the face of it, the scenario might seem absurd but I guess the crooks can't be charged with armed robbery if they're caught. As it stands, their gambit seems to have paid off.
designs216 is offline   1
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Bear spray?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Bear spray?
This is Canada. Most people don't have guns and bear attacks are the real danger we face every day.

Just kidding. The real danger comes from some of our politicians.
Yvan256 is offline   10
Old Mar 5, 2013, 09:59 AM   #5
alex00100
macrumors regular

Hey, ive been there!
alex00100 is offline   2
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:02 AM   #6
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

You'll get a lead sandwich if you attack me with bear spray, pending it's legal for me to carry at the location.
ghostface147 is offline   5
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

Bear mace that guy!
bigcat318 is offline   2
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:05 AM   #8
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
You'll get a lead sandwich if you attack me with bear spray, pending it's legal for me to carry at the location.
Go act hard somewhere else, you're not fooling anyone here.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:08 AM   #9
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
This is Canada. Most people don't have guns and bear attacks are the real danger we face every day.

I live in Ontario. The most danger we face here are from pointed sticks. And they will most likely ban those here soon too!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Go act hard somewhere else, you're not fooling anyone here.
I've defended myself before with force, so there is no reason why I can't again. Granted it was at home with less chance of hurting bystanders....
ghostface147 is offline   3
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
turtlez
Banned

Quote:
I've defended myself before with force, so there is no reason why I can't again. Granted it was at home with less chance of hurting bystanders....
should have used your own strength and not a machine's strength.
turtlez is offline   9
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:32 AM   #12
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So after being blinded by bear spray you'd just take a gun out and start unloading?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:38 AM   #13
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
On the face of it, the scenario might seem absurd but I guess the crooks can't be charged with armed robbery if they're caught. As it stands, their gambit seems to have paid off.
Use of Bear Spray makes this a violent robbery, and as I understand it, puts it into the same category as if a gun had been used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post

Actually, we don't have guns... and I am more at risk of a bear attack here on the coast than being shot. Except by a hunter. One of the amazing things about Vancouver is that you can a city bus, for a regular fare, to one of several parks on the North Shore where you can hiking in the wilderness, get lost, and die. Or be attacked by a bear. Happens every year (the getting lost part and dying part, bear attacks are usually rare... mostly because people carry bear spray).
Quote:
It's not legal, and you'll get arrested. If you cause harm to the robber you may even get charged with assault, unless you can show you were actually in imminent danger of being injured or killed.

No one was hurt, some stuff was stolen. The police will probably catch these thieves because they appear to be developing a pattern.

A wise old cop once told me that anyone who isn't an idiot can rob a bank and get away with it... once. It's when you start repeating yourself that the cops catch you.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:41 AM   #14
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
A wise old cop once told me that anyone who isn't an idiot can rob a bank and get away with it... once. It's when you start repeating yourself that the cops catch you.
Well I better get a damn good heist that first time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
So after being blinded by bear spray you'd just take a gun out and start unloading?
Of course not. That puts others at risk. That's a criminal act in Texas even if you have your license.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlez View Post
should have used your own strength and not a machine's strength.
Nah. I'd rather be sure to end things.
ghostface147 is offline   2
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:06 AM   #15
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well I better get a damn good heist that first time....
That's almost always the case. The thieves have an inflated vision how much they'll get, and then when the get away with it the first time (it seems) they go back for more.
Quote:
Nah. I'd rather be sure to end things.
It's just a pity that for every bad guy who gets killed by a gun, about 8 other innocent people are killed by friends and family member during an argument.

Oh, well I guess that is the price of freedom...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Newton70
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Oh, well I guess that is the price of freedom...
Oh, you must have found Utopia...care to share with the rest of us.

P.S. - Stormwind and Orgrimmar don't count.
Newton70 is offline   2
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #17
High Five Ghost
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to High Five Ghost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post

P.S. - Stormwind and Orgrimmar don't count.
lol
High Five Ghost is offline   1
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:24 AM   #18
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton70 View Post

It's easy enough to find, it's the immigration process that requires a quest. But it helps if you bilingual in English and French.

In my little corner of utopia it also helps if you know how to shear a sheep...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #19
Plutonius
macrumors 601

I thought only skunks sprayed people and how did they get the bear into the store ?
Plutonius is offline   5
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:27 AM   #20
balamw

MOD NOTE: Most of comments in the thread have tended towards a PRSI discussion, so we moved the thread to PRSI.

B
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:33 AM   #21
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

A bear sprayed 40 people at an Apple store?
PinkyMacGodess is offline   5
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:37 AM   #22
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be making loads of lead sandwiches (hold the mayo please) as your wriggling around on the floor temporarily blinded by the spray.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:39 AM   #23
eric/

I think we should ban bear spray

nobody hunts bears, it has no use other than for criminals to cause mayhem. It's not like anybody needs it.
eric/ is offline   1
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:42 AM   #24
pivo6
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I think we should ban bear spray

nobody hunts bears, it has no use other than for criminals to cause mayhem. It's not like anybody needs it.

I guess you've never been to Minnesota, where there is a bear season for hunting.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:45 AM   #25
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post

I guess you've never been to Minnesota, where there is a bear season for hunting.
Being able to hunt bears isn't worth robberies and people being sprayed with stuff intended for bears.
eric/ is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues