Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
The more you take it off and put it back on, the more likely it is to break or chip etc

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I'm not a fan of cases like those. When transporting a good, padded backpack or case is best. When sitting on my desk or lap, I don't need a case as there's nothing to scratch it. Actually, when my lap I use a laptop tray to keep my lap from getting too hot.

I also find the cases distracting from the computer's design. Like putting an ugly black bra on your sports car. You get the ugly so the next person to buy it has something good looking.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Not sure about scratching but I wouldn't recommend this case if you're gonna be removing it/cleaning it daily.

crypto2k2

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
I bought a used macbook pro off someone that had it in an InCase shell (similar to the speck). The case scratched the heck out of the unibody since it was never cleaned and had a bunch of dust particles sitting in it. I'm sure others have different experiences but personally, I wouldn't use a case like that again.

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
I bought one for mine, I just put it on there and left it. Hopefully it won't do any damage. It looks really cool and I was hoping that it would KEEP my MacBook from getting scratched. My cat is bad about wanting to sit on my computer when I am not around.

I have the Speck purple case on mine.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'm one of the few that prefer my devices remain nekid. No bumper on my iPhone - it adds too much bulk. (But a clear overlay on the front).

The reason I switched to Apple products was the engineering. I just like how they are made and would rather enjoy that than cover it up. (I couldn't care less about OSX/iOS).

I'll go out on a limb to say many use cases/covers to simply change colors. Aluminum seems to be drab especially in the eyes of females.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Been using the turquoise one for about 6 months.... Take it off once a month to clean. No scratches or chips yet [ knock on wood ] :)

I'd honestly rather keep it nude... but I'm a bit anal about keeping my toys pristine !

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
So what do you use on your phones and ipads?

iPad - iLuv padded zipped case + smart cover
iPhone - £1.50 neoprene sleeve from Amazon (I had a Snugg case before and it scuffed the black edges of my first iPhone 5 [sold])

Both are immaculate, although the iPhone has button issues but this is down to poor build quality (again) - that's going to Apple at the weekend for an exchange as the buttons are becoming un responsive.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
as long as you take the case off a couple times a month to clean it it will be ok.

you hear reports of people saying, oh the speck scratched my case. well poeple dont read the dam instructions. its not the case that scratches your mac, its the dust and debris that collects between the case AND mac that scratches it hence why you should take it off once and a while to clean and maintain that doesnt hapen

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
What slip case are you using for your iphone 5? I'm wanting to go naked but not sure what neoprene sleeve to use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009F98KZ4/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does exactly the right job, with the right amount of protection for very little extra girth and weight (and expense).

And it's wipe clean.

Only marks on my bezel are one that it came with and one from knocking it on a wall when I wasn't looking - haven't got any more on it from being in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.