Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hi there,

I'm somewhat confused here.

I have to run apps that require Java.

Do I have to install the Java 7 Development Kit (JDK) or Java 7 Runtime Environment (JRE)? Or both?

When going to java.com I only see downloads for the JRE. Where can I find the JDK?

Another thing: I've heard that some apps don't work with Java 7. Should I better be using the Java 6 version from Apple to be on the safe side?

The problem with this is, that support for Java 6 is suspended by Oracle in Feb 2013, isn't it? Or does Apple still take care for security updates for Java 6?

Thanks for your help!

moviebiz

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
In order to run Java applications you need the Java Runtime Environment(JRE). In order to write programs in Java you need the Java Developers Kit(JDK). You can goto this site to obtain the JDK.

Apple maintains Java 6 under Mac OS X. Oracle maintains Java 7 and future versions.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for your help!

In order to run Java applications you need the Java Runtime Environment(JRE). In order to write programs in Java you need the Java Developers Kit(JDK).

I get that difference. But I've heard/read somewhere that you might need both to run specific Java apps. Anyone knows about this?

Apple maintains Java 6 under Mac OS X. Oracle maintains Java 7 and future versions.

Is it known when Apple support for Java 6 is supposed to end?

moviebiz

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
I've never heard of a Java app that requires the JDK to run. However, that is not to say one doesn't exist.

I don't think Apple has indicated how long it plans to support Java 6 for. However, I found this article that attempts to predict Apple's future development for Java 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.