Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have made 5 posts and i still can't personal message anyone? :(

Give it some time as the servers need to update and propagate before they're registered with your post count. Once they do, you should be able to. If after a few more posts and time you are still unable, send a Contact message and an administrator will have a look.

Heavybarrel

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Give it some time as the servers need to update and propagate before they're registered with your post count. Once they do, you should be able to. If after a few more posts and time you are still unable, send a Contact message and an administrator will have a look.

Okay, i will wait. Also where do i get the option/button to personal message, trying to raise post count. ;)

Heavybarrel

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
You click on users name and then a drop-down menu appears, and that's where you can choose to private message someone.

I still just get 3 options, none of them is for personal message. I'll just re-log in, and maybe wait and see. Thanks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Okay, i will wait. Also where do i get the option/button to personal message, trying to raise post count. ;)

While one has to have posted at least five posts to be eligible to use the PM feature (presumably to discourage Spam among other things), sending a PM does not, in fact, serve to increase one's post count.

Heavybarrel

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
While one has to have posted at least five posts to be eligible to use the PM feature (presumably to discourage Spam among other things), sending a PM does not, in fact, serve to increase one's post count.

I do realize that, Whats concerning me is that I still can't P.M. anyone. I've contacted the administrator, still waiting for his/her reply.

vishavg

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2014
I am having the same problem. I can't seem to PM members, even though I have more than 5 posts

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
How do I see messages that I have sent? It doesnt show anything in my outbox.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Under Edit Options in User CP ( https://forums.macrumors.com/account/preferences) Ensure that this option is checked.

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 9.54.11 AM.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If I may be so bold as to ask, why was it changed to 25 posts (, in fact, it was)? And why now has it been changed back? Just curious, really; if it is something that cannot be discussed, or you would prefer not to discuss it, that is fine.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If I may be so bold as to ask, why was it changed to 25 posts (, in fact, it was)? And why now has it been changed back? Just curious, really; if it is something that cannot be discussed, or you would prefer not to discuss it, that is fine.
The change to 25 was an unnoticed byproduct of other changes we made some months ago. It wasn't apparent until questions from users started coming in. The problem was that multiple parts of the forum implementation had been tied together, so when the properties of one feature changed, others changed as well. We've since set up individual controls for Private Messages and tested the new configuration, so we're announcing that the threshold is back to "normal".

The choice of a 5-post minimum has helped limit private message spam (unsolicited promotional messages from new users), and we don't consider it a burden to make 5 useful posts when there are hundreds of new discussions every day. Private message spam is fairly uncommon here, but if you get one please report the PM to the moderators.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The change to 25 was an unnoticed byproduct of other changes we made some months ago. It wasn't apparent until questions from users started coming in. The problem was that multiple parts of the forum implementation had been tied together, so when the properties of one feature changed, others changed as well. We've since set up individual controls for Private Messages and tested the new configuration, so we're announcing that the threshold is back to "normal".

The choice of a 5-post minimum has helped limit private message spam (unsolicited promotional messages from new users), and we don't consider it a burden to make 5 useful posts when there are hundreds of new discussions every day. Private message spam is fairly uncommon here, but if you get one please report the PM to the moderators.

That is perfectly reasonable and thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

Given the discussion on the thread, I had wondered whether there had been a significant 'sea change' which had decided upon a new threshold of 25 in order to send and receive PMs, but this was clearly not the case.

I'll certainly send a PM if anything of the sort that you describe occurs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.