Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Okay I've been chidded by MR members because I have had an iPod (I THINK it is fourth gen., 20gig) purchased this August and only used for voice interviews with iTalk mic.

How come it is taking its sweet time downloading the interviews?

Like, more than 5 minutes with fw connection to my 1.33ghz iBook?

And, it "updated" with new software the minute I plugged it in; did I erase the interviews with this? Weird as it is saying to me "do not disconnect"

Huh?

Help.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
California said:
Okay I've been chidded by MR members because I have had an iPod (I THINK it is fourth gen., 20gig) purchased this August and only used for voice interviews with iTalk mic.

How come it is taking its sweet time downloading the interviews?

Like, more than 5 minutes with fw connection to my 1.33ghz iBook?

And, it "updated" with new software the minute I plugged it in; did I erase the interviews with this? Weird as it is saying to me "do not disconnect"

Huh?

Help.

How long are these recordings? It's probably nothing to worry about, if in fact they are long interviews. Also, the update when you plugged it in was just to sync your music from itunes, and shouldn't have erased anything.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Five minutes is a long time...how large are these interview files?
Well it says "Used 257.2mb" "Free 18.35 gb"

I think the intervews were like 1 hour each.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
California said:
Well it says "Used 257.2mb" "Free 18.35 gb"

I think the intervews were like 1 hour each.

Hmmm...I don't have an iTalk...so I've never brought files back off an iPod onto my computer. What is the process? Do you just sync it with iTunes, or do you have to do something else?

I have copied files off that were non-audio (stuff I put on the iPod while it was mounted) -- and it was much, much faster than you describe. 260 MB should only take 1-2 minutes, even if there are calendars and contacts that need to be sync'd (that really eats up time). And I have an 800MHz iBook G4, so processor speed shouldn't play that much of a role. Hmmm.... :(

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Hey, it worked after about 15 minutes of download time.

The interviews were 1 and 2 hours long for total of over 3 hours.

Glad I didn't cheap out with the 6 gig iPod but went for the 20gb; the sound is very clear and good with that iTalk mic.

Thanks all. Was nervous losing my iPod to iTunes virginity.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
I have used a iTalk. It does take a little while to download. Are you using USB 2.0. I know I am going to get killed for saying this but, Firewire is actually faster the USB 2.0 (most of the time. iPods are faster over Firewire)

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
reberto said:
I have used a iTalk. It does take a little while to download. Are you using USB 2.0. I know I am going to get killed for saying this but, Firewire is actually faster the USB 2.0 (most of the time. iPods are faster over Firewire)

No, like I said, was using the Firewire connection. Noticed it only ran at 400bps -- I guess I don't have an 800 fw connection on this 1.33ghz 14" iBook?

Pleased wth the iPod in the end. Now the DUMBEST question of all.

How do I turn off my iPod?

I just let it run down after each interview...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
California said:
How do I turn off my iPod?

Choose "sleep" from the main menu. If you don't see "sleep" in the main menu, go to Settings -> Main Menu and then check sleep on (it is near the end).

Also, incidentally, FW400 is faster than USB2 for this type of application. There are at least 1000 threads on MR about why, so I'm not going into it. ;)

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
mkrishnan said:
Choose "sleep" from the main menu. If you don't see "sleep" in the main menu, go to Settings -> Main Menu and then check sleep on (it is near the end).

Also, incidentally, FW400 is faster than USB2 for this type of application. There are at least 1000 threads on MR about why, so I'm not going into it. ;)

or you could just hold down the play button to shut it off :/

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
California said:
No, like I said, was using the Firewire connection. Noticed it only ran at 400bps -- I guess I don't have an 800 fw connection on this 1.33ghz 14" iBook?

Not only do you not have a FW 800 connection on your computer, but the iPod doesn't have a bus for it either.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
mkrishnan said:

Knew that about FW. Thanks for the tip on how to shut her down. Okay, I'm iPodding. I resisted for so long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.