Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendan67

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
hey

i had a right old afternoon trying to get on line.

i have a wireless network which normally runs pretty well but today for some reason the connect light in the belkin router goes off. now the ready light on the cable modem always stays on - so the problem is between there and the router - probably the router you would think?

eventually when i reset the router it stays steady without going out and i stay on line, I'm wondering could it be something to do with my service provider on whats coming down the line and knocking out the router. I dont think the roter is faulty? - but i need some expert on networks to give me likely scenarios for what's happening? I've had the rrouter nearly a year
and apart from today which was constant I normally am online apart from the odd time when the green light on the router goes out.

any help or guidance appreciated

kind regards

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hmm... how did the thought process go? "If I say I'm having a router problem, then nobody will read my post. So I'll make a title that lots of people will click on and they'll flock to my aid even though they're slightly p!$$-d off that the title had nothing to do with my post"?

We'll cut some slack because you're new here. Next time, make the post title descriptive of the question or comment you're making. Or risk getting mocked much more savagely than I have done...

THere are too many variables in your setup to give you a step by step, but here are some gernat hints. You need to isolate your problem - there are too many links in the chain.

Modem
Cable
Router
Wireless Transmission
Wireless reception
Mac software settings

First, hook your Mac directly to the modem via cable (you will want to set up a separate "location" under Networking and set it to DHCP) . Do you get relible connection?
Hook your router back up, and hook the Mac to the router via cable. You may have to alter your Network settings to recognize the router IP address as your Gateway/Router
Turn off all three devices. Turn them on in this order: Modem - pause - Router - pause - Mac
Do you get a reliable connection now? If not, what is the IP address that your Mac is displaying? Is it 169.x.x.x? That means you haven't achieved connection with the router's DHCP server.
If you do get a good connection, then progress to connecting to the router by wireless and test that.

Refer to your router's owner's manual. You can log onto the router with a Web browser to check its settings and whether it is connected correctly to the 'net. You will also want to reestablish your router passwords, if you have reset the unit.

Call your ISP support.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Only call your ISP if:
-you're allowed to have more than one computer on your network
-you're sure the problem is on their end.
They're not going to help you with your router. If you plug your computer right in to the modem, you likely have to reset your modem (unplug it for a minute) to give the Mac an address. Modems usually remember the MAC address of the last computer/router plugged in and won't issue another address unless reset. (This is why we use routers instead of hubs).
A few things that helped me (I'm on comcast if that relates)
I had to enter the MAC address (that's the hardware address) of the network card in my router, to report to the modem, or I would get knocked off after a few minutes. This just started happening to me lately - they never cared about it before it seems.
Second, Make sure the router is getting good circulation. I've heard reports that routers overheat. Mine came with a stand that allows it to stay up vertically.
Finally, make the topic of your post relevent, as CanadaRAM suggested. Maybe that should be against the rules, if it's not already :mad:

brendan67

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
network

hey thanks for that

yes the title was cheap and counter productive but at least one nice person replied. i will get to work on your advice - as you say there are many variables and my post problem has many possible answers.

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.