Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I have 100GB of music albums on an external.

If i do 'Add to Library' on itunes 11, it doesn't actually copy them creating another file, its almost like a playlist and using itunes like a player.

Isn't this a better way then copying them to itunes as i've already got a copy on external ? or am i missing something ?

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
You need to have;

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

ticked, otherwise iTunes operates like you described.

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
What's the benefit of copying them when you already have them on an external anyway ?

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
What's the benefit of copying them when you already have them on an external anyway ?

Probably having all your files in the iTunes media folder, rather than scattered around your home folder/external drive.

When I add stuff to iTunes, I have that box ticked (and the keep files organised ticked) and then delete the original. If I had my itunes media folder on an external drive, when adding to library I leave the box add files box unticked when setting up iTunes.

Sorry I can't be more clear about it. Trying to work out iTunes does my head in. What version iTunes are you using?

Last edited:

vim147

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Probably having all your files in the iTunes media folder, rather than scattered around your home folder/external drive.

When I add stuff to iTunes, I have that box ticked (and the keep files organised ticked) and then delete the original. If I had my itunes media folder on an external drive, when adding to library I leave the box add files box unticked when setting up iTunes.

Sorry I can't be more clear about it. Trying to work out iTunes does my head in. What version iTunes are you using?

I use the latest version of itunes. The thing i dont like about adding to itunes folder library is that it groups it all in as artist library media folders.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany

If I'm not wrong iTunes manages your songs once they are copied into the media folder. Try changing some album titles within iTunes, the respective folders on your drive will be changed too for instance.

You can also put all your music into the iTunes library folder in the first place. As a result you have the benefit stated above and though not having your media stored twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.