Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Hello all,

I've just switched from the classic 13 inch MBP with an intel SSD (slower than the one in the rMBP) to a 13 inch rMBP.

I'm having issues with scrolling, there is a bit of lag, especially on Facebook. When I full size the screen its not a smooth transformation. The dock magnification is not slick either.

This is not the kind of user experience I'm used to. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hello all,

I've just switched from the classic 13 inch MBP with an intel SSD (slower than the one in the rMBP) to a 13 inch rMBP.

I'm having issues with scrolling, there is a bit of lag, especially on Facebook. When I full size the screen its not a smooth transformation. The dock magnification is not slick either.

This is not the kind of user experience I'm used to. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Many rMBP users experience many issues.

You can try using a different browser and see if the issue still persists.

Aspen

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Your description is exactly why I returned mine. No issues on a 2 yo 13" cMBP.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
Chrome or Safari or something else?

Chrome is super laggy but safari is smooth 90% of the time.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Use Webkit, same as Safari, but no scrolling lag at all.

I want to use pure apple applications if possible as they should in theory be optimised to run well with the hardware.

Thank you so much for the webkit link, its brilliant. Very fast and slick, I recommend this to all!

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Also make sure you upgraded to OS X 10.8.2. Mine came with 10.8.1 and things were pretty bad. 10.8.2 made it a lot better. 10.8.3 is supposed to make things better still.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Also make sure you upgraded to OS X 10.8.2. Mine came with 10.8.1 and things were pretty bad. 10.8.2 made it a lot better. 10.8.3 is supposed to make things better still.

Yes I'm up to date with all software. I'm afraid the crap performance does not justify the price tag. If I want a pretty little thing to look at I'll a diamond ring not a laptop that performs under par.

I'm sending this crap back. No wonder they slashed the price and they are showing up in the refurbished section. What a load of expensive crap.:mad:

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
If the reason for the lag is the hardware surely someone would have noticed the processor/graphics spiking with a hardware monitor app?

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
If the reason for the lag is the hardware surely someone would have noticed the processor/graphics spiking with a hardware monitor app?

Its going back. I've requested RMA. I'm not accepting the GUI for the premium price I paid.

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Its going back. I've requested RMA. I'm not accepting the GUI for the premium price I paid.

Maybe you're right. I bought mine a few days ago too. Tbh it doesn't bother me too much because everything else works fine.

raw8725

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Maybe you're right. I bought mine a few days ago too. Tbh it doesn't bother me too much because everything else works fine.

Yes and its a beautiful machine, probably the best lookin' 13 inch in the world (thats exactly what I told the lady at apple on the phone). I'll be very sad to let it go. However my previous 2012 class macbook pro 13inch is so slick and smooth and I'm not taking a step backwards from that. I won't die I'll be fine for the next few months till the new one is released, and you can mark my words I'll be the first in line to order it. :apple:

Still100

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Yes and its a beautiful machine, probably the best lookin' 13 inch in the world (thats exactly what I told the lady at apple on the phone). I'll be very sad to let it go. However my previous 2012 class macbook pro 13inch is so slick and smooth and I'm not taking a step backwards from that. I won't die I'll be fine for the next few months till the new one is released, and you can mark my words I'll be the first in line to order it. :apple:

You're problem is the hardware. But for me the problem is the os. It is utter garbage far worse than windows. No where near iOS which is the best by far.

Trubbles

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2012
I knew this problem would happen from the minute Apple announced it was going to use HD4000 to drive 3M+ pixels. I angrily talked about it in discussions on these forums, and a lot of people with no use for a powerful GPU defended Apple's decision.

I was right, of course.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
People think the hardware is not enough on the 13 inch but mine is doing great job.
Yes I'm using webkit until 10.8.3 but besides that i don't have any lags or problem.
This is the best computer i've ever had and i recommend it to anyone who willing to buy a 13 inch computer (mostly after apple dropped prices).

this replaced my PC actually and i'm very happy.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
People think the hardware is not enough on the 13 inch but mine is doing great job.
Yes I'm using webkit until 10.8.3 but besides that i don't have any lags or problem.
This is the best computer i've ever had and i recommend it to anyone who willing to buy a 13 inch computer (mostly after apple dropped prices).

Same here. Exactly the same.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010

Same here, a couple of weeks ago I found that the Safari scrolling lag problem was also on my early 2010 iMac, but in the rMBP is more noticeable because of the 4M pixels, I installed Webkit on both, now neither of them has any scrolling lag when browsing at all, the problem of scrolling lag started on Lion, let's remember that by then Apple was porting some features from iOS into MacOSX, so they changed the beautiful blue scroll bar for the current grey scroll bar we have now on ML, making it ugly and laggy, I really noticed this lag for the first time I installed Lion on my early 2010 iMac, but by then I thought my iMac was a little outdated, but now I know Apple screwed MacOSX up with Lion and this problem was hidden for a while until rMBP was released, certainly this is software failure.
I'm still waiting for the next ML to be released which solves this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.