Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

77slevin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
Just received my internal 9,5mm UJ267 Blu-ray slot-in Writer/reader that I bought from eBay and finished testing it. Works like a charm.
I removed the internal super drive from a late '11 MacBook Pro 15", switched over the top covers of the drives, because the super drive has special screw holes that where not present on the BR drive. This however briefly exposes the innards of both drives so you got to be careful. A dust free room also helps :).
For burning BR discs I use Roxio Toast and for playing movies I use Mac Blu-ray player.

Only downside of the whole thing was, the burner version is expensive. And my country's customs charged another 84 euro for VAT and administrative costs. Thieving bastards.:mad:

Oh and the super drive I removed got a new home in this cheap USB2 enclosure. It's now re-purposed as a DVD drive for my MacBook Air.

Last edited by a moderator:

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Just received my internal 9,5mm UJ267 Blu-ray slot-in Writer/reader that I bought from eBay and finished testing it. Works like a charm.
I removed the internal super drive from a late '11 MacBook Pro 15", switched over the top covers of the drives, because the super drive has special screw holes that where not present on the BR drive. This however briefly exposes the innards of both drives so you got to be careful. A dust free room also helps :).
For burning BR discs I use Roxio Toast and for playing movies I use Mac Blu-ray player.

Only downside of the whole thing was, the burner version is expensive. And my country's customs charged another 84 euro for VAT and administrative costs. Thieving bastards.:mad:

Oh and the super drive I removed got a new home in this cheap USB2 enclosure. It's now re-purposed as a DVD drive for my MacBook Air.

That second link is pretty cool. Never thought about taking my optical drive out and putting it in a casing so I can have two hard drive bays.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
That second link is pretty cool. Never thought about taking my optical drive out and putting it in a casing so I can have two hard drive bays.

Where have you been? Dual hard drives (or SSDs in my case) is the only way to roll. :p :cool:

Only thing that sucks is that if I want to do a clean reinstall, I need to put the SuperDrive back in so I can install Windows. Boot Camp sucks like that on 2011 MBPs. Of course, if you never use Windows, this isn't a problem, and you can use an SSD for OS X and programs while having your stock HDD for documents, media, etc.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Where have you been? Dual hard drives (or SSDs in my case) is the only way to roll. :p :cool:

Only thing that sucks is that if I want to do a clean reinstall, I need to put the SuperDrive back in so I can install Windows. Boot Camp sucks like that on 2011 MBPs. Of course, if you never use Windows, this isn't a problem, and you can use an SSD for OS X and programs while having your stock HDD for documents, media, etc.

I've known that you can do dual hard drives, I just never thought about putting the optical drive into it's own special case so that it's still useable.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Damn that UJ267 is expensive!
Is it so that if you want to put bd-burner to miniStack MAX, you need to have slot loading drive?
So that, there's no loading mechanism in the enclosure and you could just remove the sled from non-slot loading drive?

BTW,
Which bd-player sw is recommended: MacGo's, dvdfab's or UFUSoft's?

77slevin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
I can't argue with that. Great beer makes everything bearable:)

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.