Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:28 AM   #1
suparobg
macrumors newbie

How to compress photo

anyone know how to compress the photo file. It is at 2.3 mb and i need to upload it on a website but it is too large of a file
iPhoto 11 on my late 2012 iMac 21.5
suparobg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

What format (probably JPEG?) is it in, what resolution is it and how did you determine its size?
Have you tried exporting it as JPEG from iPhoto?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
suparobg
macrumors newbie

I want to make the file size smaller its 2 mb I need it compressed down to 2 or 300kb
Export it to where?
Yes its jpeg
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:21 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by suparobg View Post
I want to make the file size smaller its 2 mb I need it compressed down to 2 or 300kb
Export it to where?
Yes its jpeg
Maybe this can help, it is in 720p:
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

There are two ways of making the file smaller: make the picture smaller, or throw away some of the data.
Making the picture smaller in size (or lowering the resolution) is the usual way, and you will get proportional results.

Saving as a JPEG uses compression that throws away some data (merely assuming than an area has a given pattern or colour). The more aggressive the JPEG compression, the smaller the picture.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:34 PM   #6
suparobg
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. What photo app is better than the iphoto '11 ? I don't want to buy photoshop and I am not a professional photographer. Just a program that edits and crops etc and compresses or resizes in the program itself
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. What photo app is better than the iphoto '11 ? I don't want to buy photoshop and I am not a professional photographer. Just a program that edits and crops etc and compresses or resizes in the program itself
iPhoto will do that just fine, unless the method I have shown you in the video does not suffice your needs?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8
blueroom
macrumors 603

Try Xee
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:17 PM   #9
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Built in "Preview" does a fine job.

Tools > Adjust size
noisycats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Between iPhoto and Preview you have all the tools you need to do the job, and to do it easily. It is better to learn these tools than to and get more tools. You will need to learn how to use any new tool in any case, so save the time and money use iPhoto or Preview. imho, at least.

Take the time to read the Help files for Preview and iPhoto. And if you are still confused, post back here with some specific questions. We can be very helpful... really. But you must also do some of the work yourself.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:58 PM   #11
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Seems to me.....

a good fit to GraphicConverter. Nice and small program that can do very powerful JPEG compression. And a lot more, with less price than PS. But I had obtained good results with GIMP....just my 2 cents....

Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Between iPhoto and Preview you have all the tools you need to do the job, and to do it easily. It is better to learn these tools than to and get more tools. You will need to learn how to use any new tool in any case, so save the time and money use iPhoto or Preview. imho, at least.

Take the time to read the Help files for Preview and iPhoto. And if you are still confused, post back here with some specific questions. We can be very helpful... really. But you must also do some of the work yourself.
+1 this advice from snberk103
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:35 PM   #13
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Use "preview" it is alrady on your Mac. Simply save copy and choose a much smaller size. YOu can also educe the "quality" to something befor the mid point.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
a good fit to GraphicConverter. Nice and small program that can do very powerful JPEG compression. And a lot more, with less price than PS. But I had obtained good results with GIMP...

Both gimps and GraphicConverter are over kill. Preview will do the job just as well
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:23 PM   #14
mofunk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post

Tools > Adjust size

x2
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:14 AM   #15
Ish
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post

Tools > Adjust size
+3 I was going to suggest this if no-one else had.
Ish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Adjusting file sizes down to satisfy the Net is a real downer to me. I mean, I get a photo to look nice at 20mb on an HD screen and then I have to knock it down to under 800 px wide to post up from Flickr or under 1.44mb for the MR servers. What a waste. I suppose I should be happy that the mods don't cut pixs in POTD down to thumbnails anymore.

Sorry for the rant (even though it's true), my Meds have been messing with my mood.

Dale

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography