Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Asks Judge to Dismiss App Store Monopoly Lawsuit

Apple has asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit alleging that Apple has an illegal monopoly because the iPhone does not allow users to use alternative app stores by default, reports Bloomberg.
Quote:
Attorneys who filed the suit in 2011 claim that a monopoly exists because an iPhone user who doesn't want to pay what developers charge for applications available through Apple's App Store can't go anywhere else to buy them. Apple requires iPhone software developers to turn over 30 percent of what they charge for an application, increasing prices and excluding competitors from the iPhone "aftermarket" of applications, they claim.

Apple doesn't set the price for paid applications, and charging a price for distribution of a product on a new and unique platform doesn't violate any antitrust laws, said Dan Wall, Apple's attorney, at yesterday's court hearing in Oakland, California.
The plaintiffs argue that because a consumer can't buy Angry Birds for the iPhone from an alternative app store, Apple has an illegal monopoly and is reducing consumer choice.

This isn't the first time Apple has been accused of running an illegal monopoly. The iTunes Store and iBookstore have previously been the subject of lawsuits. This lawsuit was originally filed in 2011, in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (Oakland).

Article Link: Apple Asks Judge to Dismiss App Store Monopoly Lawsuit
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
shaunp
macrumors 6502

They do know that having an iphone isn't compulsory, don't they? Other phones are available and they are free to choose one of those. Muppets!
shaunp is online now   39 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunp View Post
They do know that having an iphone isn't compulsory, don't they? Other phones are available and they are free to choose one of those. Muppets!
The "If you don't like it, leave" doesn't fly with Monopoly investigations.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #4
genovelle
macrumors 6502a

If there were no options like buying another phone, maybe, but this is a waste of time and money.
genovelle is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
shaunp
macrumors 6502

Yep, I don't get that either. You don't HAVE to buy Windows if you don't want to. Other platforms are available.
shaunp is online now   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
KSpider
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to KSpider
I am suing Microsoft next week... I should be able to play non licensed games, maybe even playstation games on my 360...
KSpider is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:47 PM   #7
ChrisTX
macrumors 68030

There is no need to offer competing App repositories on any of Apples iOS enabled devices. App makers set the price, and will likely offer the same price for their apps elsewhere.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

That's just how Apple works and always has. If you don't like it don't buy their devices. Get over it.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:48 PM   #9
nburwell
macrumors 68000

This is just silly. We are free to choose which phone we want to buy. I chose the iPhone. I absolutely without a doubt do not want the Android App Store (or whatever the heck it's called) on my iPhone. If I did, I would obviously own an Android phone.
nburwell is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:49 PM   #10
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Its all rather stupid really. If you want access to more than the App Store then get an android phone. No-one is forcing you to use an iPhone!
Jsameds is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11
genovelle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
The "If you don't like it, leave" doesn't fly with Monopoly investigations.
You can't be a monopoly in and of yourself. Your cable company is not required to support downloading of other sources to the cable box you get from them.
genovelle is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Squilly
macrumors 68020

One word: Cydia.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:52 PM   #13
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Monopoly? Ever heard of the countless android choice and WP/BB10?
No one is forcing you onto iOS
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #14
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

apple fanboys are strange cats, if this article was about only being able to install software on your Mac by way of the MAS, the fanboys would be upset, change the platform and the fanboys are upset people want options
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post
You can't be a monopoly in and of yourself. Your cable company is not required to support downloading of other sources to the cable box you get from them.
You can use logic and reason all you want, it doesn't matter. Once they've decided you're being a monopoly, they're pretty set in their ways. Look at Microsoft getting hammered for Internet Explorer being included with Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Monopoly? Ever heard of the countless android choice and WP/BB10?
No one is forcing you onto iOS
That's not the point of the article, its about you not being able to change defaults, and the fact that if you don't like a price on the App Store, there is nowhere else to turn to to get the app.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:54 PM   #16
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Is it really a monopoly when the average iOS owner spends maybe $50.00 a year on their Apps?
Is it really a monopoly when there are alternate stores like Cydia?
This is a lawsuit for the sake of having a lawsuit.
I think they would have grounds if no other phones existed and no other app. stores.
Also with millions of apps. in the App. store if you can't find a free alternative to some app that is being sold then you really aren't even trying.
SmileyBlast! is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:56 PM   #17
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

this is like complaining that someone can't use sonicare brush heads on an oral-b electric toothbrush.......
unlimitedx is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:56 PM   #18
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
One word: Cydia.
I was going to bring this up if no one else did. Apple could actually use the jailbreak community as a response if needed.
UnfetteredMind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:56 PM   #19
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

There are good technical reasons to why I think this should be OK.

Apple should ask how they are supposed to guarantee the quality, software and security-wise, of the apps in the App Store and thus protect their brand value if they are no longer in control of the apps sold.

Apple is a company that really consider the software a part of the product.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #20
michaywood
macrumors newbie

Having alternative app stores would just turn the iphone experience into a crappy Android-type one where apps aren't reviewed and anyone can submit apps for release, causing for a lot more unhappy iPhone users cause this sweet new game they just downloaded crashes every time they open the app...

I understand this happens anyways, which bugs and what not, but from being a previous Android user, this was a LOT more prevalent
michaywood is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #21
iMaven
macrumors 6502

Apple developers can offer a low resolution, ad-laden, free app for those who don't want to pay.
iMaven is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:58 PM   #22
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisenberg123 View Post
apple fanboys are strange cats, if this article was about only being able to install software on your Mac by way of the MAS, the fanboys would be upset, change the platform and the fanboys are upset people want options
That is because the Mac has been open to all software from the start. The iPhone app store was always closed so we knew what we were getting into.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #23
gotluck
macrumors 68040

bring on the hate...

it would be absolutely wonderful if one could install third party apps from alternative sources without a jailbreak

bring on "advanced user mode"

I bought the iphone, it's mine, let me put what I want on it. Should be treated like a PC IMO. The lockdown only benefits Apple / certain developers / people that cant handle freedom (tech newbies that shouldn't enable 'advanced mode').
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
silvetti
macrumors 6502

How is this monopoly ? Monopoly would be if every phone came with iOS and Apple forced Samsung, Motorola etc thru deals and pressure to make them use their OS and not the competition.

This type of lawsuits only exist in the US, the most ridiculous judicial system where everyone can sue everyone for everything, even if it makes absolutely NO SENSE.
silvetti is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Krazy Bill
Banned

This lawsuit sounds frivolous but it's the truth. Apple's famous walled garden exists for this purpose.
Krazy Bill is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion