Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:22 PM   #1
kzhlin
macrumors member

AppleCare or Best Buy Warranty?

Hey guys,

I just bought an iPad mini from best buy. Should I get the best buy care ($180) or AppleCare ($100)?

AppleCare charges $50 for accidental damage replacements but best buy doesn't charge.

Any advice/experience?
kzhlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2
simply stunning
macrumors regular

$180 is a lot of cash for a warranty on a $330 device. (unless you got the 32 or 64).

I would go for Apple care out of those choices. I think the out of warranty replacement is $200 on the mini?

I personally have never bought apple care on an iPhone or iPad and have owned around 8 devices. I have only had minor problems with them, and either had them replaced by apple or fixed. Maybe totaling in the $100 range. If I had bought apple care for each devise, I would have spent around $700-$800. This just isn't worth it to me.

That said, if I was to buy one, I would stick with apple.
simply stunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:00 PM   #3
madsci954
macrumors 65816

I trust Best Buy for electronic peripherals, not warranties. Go with AppleCare.
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

I would go with AppleCare+ if for no other reason I don't expect Best Buy to be around by the end of the year.

If you only use it once, you are still ahead as it would be $149 versus $180.
Breaking Good is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:17 PM   #5
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post
I would go with AppleCare+ if for no other reason I don't expect Best Buy to be around by the end of the year.

Both are good, the best buy has no cost once its purchased and if a new ipad mini comes out there is a good change you will get upgraded to a newer model (happened to me with iPad 2 and I got an iPad three at no extra charge because they had no 32 GB ipad 2 anymore.

Also anyone who things best buy will be gone in a year has no clue what they are talking about.
5th Gen U2 iPod 30 GB
fenderbass146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:03 PM   #6
go ipad
macrumors member

Go for Applecare +. You have a coverage with $99 and $50 for the replacement. There's a chance that you might not need to replace the device. In that case, you only spent $99 for the coverage instead of $180.00.

go ipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:17 PM   #7
yth
macrumors member

Wow, I can't believe some people are suggesting Best Buy. That is $180 on a $300 device! Think about it

Also, AppleCare is awesome and with Best Buy you might get a refurbished replacement, who knows. AppleCare you take it in and get a brand new replacement right out of the box, same visit.
yth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:29 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Another vote for Apple Care.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I vote use a CC that has benefits such as extending the manuf warranty, covers theft, drops, break for a few months. and more and etc....all free of charge
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:31 PM   #10
kzhlin
macrumors member

Cool. Thanks guys! I was thinking about AppleCare anyways.

Best Buy's warranty seemed a bit expensive for the price of the iPad mini, and I wasn't planning on dropping it more than once.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
Cool. Thanks guys! I was thinking about AppleCare anyways.

Best Buy's warranty seemed a bit expensive for the price of the iPad mini, and I wasn't planning on dropping it more than once.

If you drop it twice, you have only paid $20 more. But you don't pay the $20 until the second incident.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Mdwall
macrumors member

Best buy will give you either a new in box of the same model or an equivalent store credit. Apple will replace with a refurb. On the other side of the coin; if you use the replacement plan it's a one time deal. Meaning you will have to re purchase it on the replacement.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:47 PM   #13
kzhlin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yth View Post
Wow, I can't believe some people are suggesting Best Buy. That is $180 on a $300 device! Think about it

Also, AppleCare is awesome and with Best Buy you might get a refurbished replacement, who knows. AppleCare you take it in and get a brand new replacement right out of the box, same visit.
@Mdwall: Are you sure Apple replaces it with a refurb? Not a new unit?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:45 PM   #14
studmule
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzhlin View Post
@Mdwall: Are you sure Apple replaces it with a refurb? Not a new unit?
They are refurbs, but their refurbs are top notch. You can't even tell they are refurbs.
studmule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:45 PM   #15
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Good View Post

Best Buy warranties are backed by insurance companies. But that said, $180 for an iPad Mini is a bit absurd.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:50 PM   #16
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

180 bucks for BBY is pretty expensive. It's like buying a 400 dollar guitar case on a 500 dollar Yamaha guitar.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:23 PM   #17
kzhlin
macrumors member

Sales associate told me it was $180 for BB coverage, but their website shows $160... still a bit expensive compared to AppleCare.

But I might not even get any care at all since I have the 16gb wifi iPad mini and it already comes with 1 year of AppleCare. Not sure if I can justify paying 1/3 of the price of the actual product for an additional year of AppleCare.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Jiggly Billy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Best Buy warranties are backed by insurance companies. But that said, $180 for an iPad Mini is a bit absurd.
All the more reason to NOT get it.

Need we bring up the fact that Consumer Reports even loves Applecare? Go for it.
Jiggly Billy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:12 AM   #19
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggly Billy View Post
All the more reason to NOT get it.
Your ignorance astounds me.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:17 PM   #20
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Honestly, I would not buy anything for a $329 device.

Think about it, if you upgrade your unit in a year and buy another warranty, you've effectively paid the price of 3 iPad Minis for only 2.

By buying the warranty, you guarantee paying the extra cost even if nothing happens. I feel like $329 is a trivial amount to risk, especially for a device you aren't carrying in your pocket everywhere you go (thus the risk something happens is pretty small).

And if you end up not using the warranty for one version and the next, you basically saved enough money to buy an extra iPad already.

The manufacturer warranty is already enough for all common problems anyway. And even a broken iPad with a cracked screen has some resale value on Craigslist or eBay (maybe even 50%), so its not like you are out 100% of your investment should you drop it.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:06 PM   #21
Jiggly Billy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Your ignorance astounds me.
Ignorance? The amount of money it costs, the amount of time it takes, the amount of paperwork, and the poor customer service of BB & the insurance companies backing it are a joke.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:38 PM   #22
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ignorance? The amount of money it costs, the amount of time it takes, the amount of paperwork, and the poor customer service of BB & the insurance companies backing it are a joke.
I've had nothing but good experiences with BB's Service Plans, for 15 years. Free battery replacements, swapping products to the newest version of the device or just plain getting all my money back in store credit to buy something else. Being backed by an insurance company means that if Best Buy goes under (closes down) you're still covered to the end of your contract by the insurance company for the extent of what you paid.. last I checked AIG covered Best Buy. Huge insurance company, you might want to look them up.

If Apple just happens to close down (not that it ever would, but for the sake of this exercise it does), your AppleCare is either null and void or Apple has an insurance company backing them too who will cover repair of your item.
One or the other. I can't seem to locate an insurance company backing Apple though so I can't confirm which it is. The AppleCare fine print states nothing. I really hope that there is coverage if Apple happens to go under though.

So yes, I repeat. Your ignorance astounds me.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:42 PM   #23
Jiggly Billy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I've had nothing but good experiences with BB's Service Plans, for 15 years. Free battery replacements, swapping products to the newest version of the device or just plain getting all my money back in store credit to buy something else. Being backed by an insurance company means that if Best Buy goes under (closes down) you're still covered to the end of your contract by the insurance company for the extent of what you paid.. last I checked AIG covered Best Buy. Huge insurance company, you might want to look them up.

If Apple just happens to close down (not that it ever would, but for the sake of this exercise it does), your AppleCare is either null and void or Apple has an insurance company backing them too who will cover repair of your item.
One or the other. I can't seem to locate an insurance company backing Apple though so I can't confirm which it is. The AppleCare fine print states nothing. I really hope that there is coverage if Apple happens to go under though.

Both AIG and Best Buy are hemorrhaging money, while Apple is consistently turning a large profit. HMMMMM. I'll keep my extended coverage with the stable company thankyouverymuch.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Primejimbo
macrumors 68020

Quote:

You're not the 1st that told me good things about Best Buy Warranty. A guy i work work with had a MacBook Pro from them about a year old. New ones just came out and he slipped on stairs, and fell with his in his hand. He went to Best Buy and they gave him the latest model.
Primejimbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:17 PM   #25
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Both AIG and Best Buy are hemorrhaging money, while Apple is consistently turning a large profit. HMMMMM. I'll keep my extended coverage with the stable company thankyouverymuch.
Last I checked Apple stock was down quite a bit too. Funny how you ignore certain details...

And as I stated in the first post you attacked me on. Apple is the better choice here. $180 for a 329 dollar device is absurd. I don't blindly stick with a single choice like a fool would do. I am just helping the OP on their choice with facts, not bias fanboyism.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
You're not the 1st that told me good things about Best Buy Warranty. A guy i work work with had a MacBook Pro from them about a year old. New ones just came out and he slipped on stairs, and fell with his in his hand. He went to Best Buy and they gave him the latest model.
He must have had accidental protection. I've never actually bought one with that. But yeah that's what it's for. I'm debating getting BB's accidental protection for a 6th gen Nano I bought refurbished on eBay. 19 bucks will cover my ipod for 2 years even if I fall and crack the screen...

I Wear it as a watch, apple would never cover me for this.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad