Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Good afternoon all, I was doing some reading and love the pictures that ROG posted of his new iMac/disection.

Then I saw some benchies of his HDD speed after the upgrades etc - NICE!!

That got me wondering what my read/write speeds are on my iMac. It's got the Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB drive, so the speeds are obviously lower than most of you with the SSD's. (edit: it's slower than anyone with an SSD lol)

Here's the question: what sort of speeds should I be seeing while using Black Magic's Disk Speed Test? I ran a few tests and they were around 120/120 ish.

Is this normal?

I searched and searched and couldn't find much in the way of stock read/write speeds for my particular model.

FYI, it's specs are below:

i5 3.1
12gb ram
1TB Seagate HDD ST31000528AS
6970m 1GB

Thanks again guys!

DOlsson

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Well, after looking up different benchmarks (not just those in Mac OS X) it seems that this is about right for the drive.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
I'd say pick one up off newegg and upgrade. The price on SSDs is reasonable now and the process is usually fairly easy if you are good at following instructions that they post on sites like ifixit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.