Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Mar 6, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

What's the name of this interface in Mac SDK?

Trying to make an interface that takes a few inputs from a user over a few screens. Like the setup for Dropbox (see attachment). Can anybody tell me how to do this, or what the interface unit is called?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 20.43.19.png
Views:	28
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	401068  
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
Trying to make an interface that takes a few inputs from a user over a few screens. Like the setup for Dropbox (see attachment). Can anybody tell me how to do this, or what the interface unit is called?
Looks like standard Cocoa/Aqua to me. Play around with Interface Builder in Xcode.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
chown33
macrumors 603

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_(software)
A software wizard or setup assistant is a user interface type that presents a user with a sequence of dialog boxes that lead the user through a series of well-defined steps. ...
Its typical name notwithstanding, there's no magic to making them. When I've made them before I used a single window and loaded the sub-views from nib files. The subviews were made the usual way: by hand in IB. The logic was all coded in Objective-C.

AFAIK, Apple has never called them "wizards", only "assistants". Maybe there's some sample code available on the web. Cocoa wizard and Cocoa assistant are the obvious search terms.

If you're looking for a way to simplify making, maintaining, or managing the subviews, maybe there's a higher-level tool oriented towards website developers that uses HTML + JavaScript. If you find that, you could embed a Webview in the window and load the HTML + JS content locally. That approach might be more sensible if you expect to make a lot of assistants. For a typical program, I expect that crafting the HTML + JS underpinnings in order to use a hypothetical web-based wizard-maker may well be more work than just making the subviews with IB.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I feel like I've seen a developer tool when digging around the Apple Dev Tools that generates the interface for installer apps like that for you... It's why almost every installer follows the same steps and looks almost identical. I want to say its called "Package Maker" or something like that... I think I found it in the same folder as "Icon Maker" - except I think Apple has since done away with that tool in favor of just having several app icons with special names the same way as they do for iOS...
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:00 PM   #5
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I feel like I've seen a developer tool when digging around the Apple Dev Tools that generates the interface for installer apps like that for you... It's why almost every installer follows the same steps and looks almost identical. I want to say its called "Package Maker" or something like that... I think I found it in the same folder as "Icon Maker" - except I think Apple has since done away with that tool in favor of just having several app icons with special names the same way as they do for iOS...
Yes, that's the tool for making Installer packages. However, it's limited to only making Installer packages. It's not a generalized tool that lets you make arbitrary Assistant sequences.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
Yes, that's the tool for making Installer packages. However, it's limited to only making Installer packages. It's not a generalized tool that lets you make arbitrary Assistant sequences.
Sorry, I only glanced at the thumbnail of the OP's screenshot and thought it was specifically of an installer, not a generic assistant.
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Senor Cuete
macrumors regular

NSPanel in an .xib file. The editable and static text fields are NSTextFields. Create a new window - New->File->Window and drag the NSTextFields into it.

you also need to create a subclass of NSWindowController to manage it.
Senor Cuete is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Tags
alert, interface, mac, sdk, xcode