Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Druean

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2005
Hello,

I own a Macbook Pro 13" (mid-2009) and about 50% of the time it will freeze on boot-up (startup) on the apple logo / small revolving circle.

This began happening on the Leopard OS, I chose to do a clean install to Mountain Lion after erasing the HDD and the problem has continued to occur.

The Macbook Pro does not recognise its disc drive (it does not appear in the system profiler) and is completely unresponsive. I have also had trouble in the past with the airport card not being recognised but this strangely resolved itself. I am wondering whether these hardware issues may be the cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hello,

I own a Macbook Pro 13" (mid-2009) and about 50% of the time it will freeze on boot-up (startup) on the apple logo / small revolving circle.

This began happening on the Leopard OS, I chose to do a clean install to Mountain Lion after erasing the HDD and the problem has continued to occur.

The Macbook Pro does not recognise its disc drive (it does not appear in the system profiler) and is completely unresponsive. I have also had trouble in the past with the airport card not being recognised but this strangely resolved itself. I am wondering whether these hardware issues may be the cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Try resetting the SMC.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I've tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM, still no luck.

I've also tried resetting home folder permissions and ACLs with no luck.

Thanks for the input.

The start-up issue could possibly be something to do with the hard drive.

Have you tried taking in the laptop to an Apple store to see what they have to say?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.