Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Druean
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Macbook Pro 13" (mid-2009) Crash/Freeze Problem.

Hello,

I own a Macbook Pro 13" (mid-2009) and about 50% of the time it will freeze on boot-up (startup) on the apple logo / small revolving circle.

This began happening on the Leopard OS, I chose to do a clean install to Mountain Lion after erasing the HDD and the problem has continued to occur.

The Macbook Pro does not recognise its disc drive (it does not appear in the system profiler) and is completely unresponsive. I have also had trouble in the past with the airport card not being recognised but this strangely resolved itself. I am wondering whether these hardware issues may be the cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
__________________
"Words of wisdom, Lloyd, my man. Words of wisdom."
Druean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druean View Post
Hello,

I own a Macbook Pro 13" (mid-2009) and about 50% of the time it will freeze on boot-up (startup) on the apple logo / small revolving circle.

This began happening on the Leopard OS, I chose to do a clean install to Mountain Lion after erasing the HDD and the problem has continued to occur.

The Macbook Pro does not recognise its disc drive (it does not appear in the system profiler) and is completely unresponsive. I have also had trouble in the past with the airport card not being recognised but this strangely resolved itself. I am wondering whether these hardware issues may be the cause.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Try resetting the SMC.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
"Everything for the people, nothing by the people."

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Druean
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Try resetting the SMC.
Thanks for the quick reply, I have reset the SMC, unfortunately it has not resolved the problem.

Are there any other possible solutions?
__________________
"Words of wisdom, Lloyd, my man. Words of wisdom."
Druean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druean View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, I have reset the SMC, unfortunately it has not resolved the problem.

Are there any other possible solutions?
You could try resetting the NVRAM and PRAM.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
"Everything for the people, nothing by the people."

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Druean
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
I've tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM, still no luck.

I've also tried resetting home folder permissions and ACLs with no luck.

Thanks for the input.
__________________
"Words of wisdom, Lloyd, my man. Words of wisdom."
Druean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:33 AM   #6
xShane
macrumors 6502a
 
xShane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druean View Post
I've tried resetting the NVRAM and PRAM, still no luck.

I've also tried resetting home folder permissions and ACLs with no luck.

Thanks for the input.
The start-up issue could possibly be something to do with the hard drive.

Have you tried taking in the laptop to an Apple store to see what they have to say?
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6, 8GB, 750GB, 1GB VRAM
"Everything for the people, nothing by the people."

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
boot, crashing, freezing, start.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro mid 2009 SSD Problem JanR MacBook Pro 1 Mar 26, 2014 05:14 AM
Maximizing my mid 13" mid-2009 MacBook Pro Diselboy MacBook Pro 10 Mar 12, 2014 03:48 AM
Crash or freeze (Mac Pro Mid 2012) Veins Mac Pro 7 Oct 21, 2013 10:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC