Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychometry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I might be moving out of the country in the coming months and am thinking of selling my late 2010 Mac Pro (3.33 GHz 6-core with Areca RAID) and downsizing to a MacBook Pro.

Has anyone successfully sold a Mac Pro before and where did you sell it? It's a niche product and I doubt I could get any interest on Craigslist. Are such postings allowed here? Or is there another popular marketplace for selling mine?

psychometry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I'm not sure if I still have the box somewhere. If not, I have an idea where I could come up with one.

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
I sold my 2008 on Craigslist in Boston (I didn't notice you mentioning where you are... Boston and SF have enough Craigslist traffic to support this). I've also sold my G5 in 2007 and a 24" iMac on Craigslist.

psychometry

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I'm in Chicago so maybe I would, in fact, get some interest from it. I don't have to sell it immediately, so I might also work on getting my post count up so I can access the marketplace. I haven't posted here regularly in a while.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
From personal experience......

and hearing/paying attention, there are various channels and ways to do this:

a)eBay way: Pretty safe, can get a decent price. Can take a time to sold. Have to eat up maybe between 20-25 % of your final price because of fees and shipping (if needed)

b)Craiglist: Fast sold. No fees. Too many lowballers and scam artists

c)Local independent Apple shop: You will be amazed how many deals can be done. No fees. Direct and personal trade with the buyer

d)Newspaper ad/local ad: Can take a time. Low cost. Direct and real trade

Sorry for the lenghtly post. Want to give you options/pointers, not only a silver bullet for selling. And all the above is, as stated, my personal experience.

:):apple:

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
I sold my 2010 quad recently on Craigslist (Indianapolis). I had it posted for 3 1/2 weeks before finding a seller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.