Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 in Mountain Lion

So, I just installed Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 wich according to the link below, is not supported in Snow Leopard or Lion/Mountain Lion

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

However, I am running Snow Leopard and the app isntalled fine...also, I heard this was the version available during Mountain Lion and that the latest version came out after 10.8.

So, will CCC 3.4.7 work with moutnain lion?
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:06 PM   #2
retroneo
macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just install the correct version for Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion - which is CCC 3.5.2

It's here:

http://files.bombich.com/ccc-3.5.2.zip

It should be fine though, If I recall correctly CCC just calls Mac OS X command line utilities. However you might miss out on things like the recovery partition being created, as these weren't around when 3.4.7 came out.
retroneo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:48 AM   #3
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post
Why don't you just install the correct version for Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion - which is CCC 3.5.2.
Cause its paid, I want free app.
LeandrodaFL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:52 AM   #4
maflynn

3.4.7 will work with ML provided you are only cloning the boot volume, it will not handle the recovery partition.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"will CCC 3.4.7 work with moutnain lion?"

CCC 3.4.7 will properly copy a volume with Mountain Lion on it -- SO LONG AS you are running version 3.4.7 from a boot volume OTHER THAN ML.

Thus, you can boot in Snow Leopard, and use CCC 3.4.7 to clone a volume that has ML on it.

HOWEVER -- you cannot LAUNCH CCC 3.4.7 from a Mountain Lion volume. CCC checks which OS is running, and the old version will not run and tell you that you need the _newer_ version, 3.5.2.

You _can_ use version 3.5.2 free for 30 days. After that, it may not run any longer. However, if you completely remove all traces of CCC from your drive, then re-download it, it may give you an additional 30 days of usage….
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

If you just need to use it once to clone a drive, the newest 3.5 version has a 30 day trial. You could just use it and delete afterward.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
flynz4
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
Cause its paid, I want free app.
I have a philosophy of wanting to pay for things that are valuable. The investment in my time/effort on a new program is worth more than the few bucks the developer makes. I'd prefer to keep them in business.

YMMV.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:51 AM   #8
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replies. I decided then not to go with CCC, I will continue with simply Time Machine
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:55 AM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
thanks for the replies. I decided then not to go with CCC, I will continue with simply Time Machine
Check out SuperDuper!
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
3.4.7 will work with ML provided you are only cloning the boot volume, it will not handle the recovery partition.
Do you have a link to that information? One of the advantages of CCC over SuperDuper is that CCC does clone the recovery partition. I haven't seen any reference to the contrary.

Quote:
Can I continue using the older version that is "donationware"?

Yes, absolutely. If you are currently using CCC and have not donated in the past, you are welcome to continue using any version up to and including 3.4.7 as long as you like without purchasing a license. Note, however, that previous versions of CCC are not qualified against Mountain Lion and we are no longer developing older versions of CCC.
From: Carbon Copy Cloner's Transition to a Commercial Product: Frequently Asked Questions
Quote:
Starting with version 3.4.4, Carbon Copy Cloner offers complete support for archiving, cloning, and recreating Lion's Recovery HD volume.
From: Will CCC clone the "Recovery HD" partition on Lion?

Last edited by GGJstudios; Mar 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:50 PM   #11
retroneo
macrumors 6502a

Just use Disk Utility's restore tab for cloning to another disk - it creates the recovery partition automatically.

You can also use Disk Utility to copy a partition to a disk image.
retroneo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:58 PM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post
Just use Disk Utility's restore tab for cloning to another disk - it creates the recovery partition automatically.

You can also use Disk Utility to copy a partition to a disk image.
Yes, you can, except Disk Utility can't make a bootable clone of the drive you're currently booted from, and it can't do incremental backups. CCC is much simpler, doesn't require rebooting twice to accomplish a backup, backs up the recovery partition, can automate backups on a schedule and is quite stable.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:06 AM   #13
bombich
macrumors newbie

CCC 3.4.7 isn't supported on Mountain Lion because we've never tested it on Mountain Lion. Does it "work" on Mountain Lion isn't really the right question to ask. I could launch the very original 1.0 version of CCC (developed in 2002) all the way up to Snow Leopard. You could choose a source and destination and click the Clone button and it would chug right along. Does this mean it's "working"? Apple makes huge changes to the operating system with every iteration, and the filesystem is not off limits to these changes. With every release of Mac OS X, we have to spend countless hours testing any particular version of CCC against the new changes to make sure that we're properly supporting new filesystem and OS functionality.

3.4.7 was deliberately not tested with Mountain Lion because we just don't have the time to test both the older version and the newer version. Apple doesn't look backwards, and their new "we'll deliver a new OS every year or die" approach only exacerbates our work load. Roughly half of my year involves learning what's new in the next OS and redesigning CCC to meet those needs. We not only have to meet those challenges, we also have incredible pressure to meet them on day 1 of the OS release (in reality, folks with pre-release access are yet more demanding).

Mike (author of CCC)
bombich is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 05:42 PM   #14
AlamK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombich View Post
CCC 3.4.7 isn't supported on Mountain Lion because we've never tested it on Mountain Lion...

3.4.7 was deliberately not tested with Mountain Lion because we just don't have the time to test both the older version and the newer version. Apple doesn't look backwards, and their new "we'll deliver a new OS every year or die" approach only exacerbates our work load. Roughly half of my year involves learning what's new in the next OS and redesigning CCC to meet those needs...

Mike (author of CCC)
Hello, Mike -

I am one of the older and very satisfied beneficiary as well as a supporter of your exceptional quality work, thank you.

Now that the CCC has a real price, I am trying to find out that by paying $40 for it today, how long can I expect to receive updates without additional payments? As you noted about Apple's tendencies, a newer version of OS will come along soon enough which will break a few things. I asked the same question on the official sale site and never got a straight answer: the answers varied from "we are not working on a newer version" to "last time we didn't charge our previous buyers". While both answers may be technically true, they do not clearly answer my very simple question. When I saw your post, I thought I will tak advantage of it and hopefully get a straight forward answer.

Do please keep keep up the good work, some of us will always support it - a quality product or service is definitely worth paying.
AlamK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:50 PM   #15
rasputin666
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamK View Post
Hello, Mike -

I am one of the older and very satisfied beneficiary as well as a supporter of your exceptional quality work, thank you.

Now that the CCC has a real price, I am trying to find out that by paying $40 for it today, how long can I expect to receive updates without additional payments? As you noted about Apple's tendencies, a newer version of OS will come along soon enough which will break a few things. I asked the same question on the official sale site and never got a straight answer: the answers varied from "we are not working on a newer version" to "last time we didn't charge our previous buyers". While both answers may be technically true, they do not clearly answer my very simple question. When I saw your post, I thought I will tak advantage of it and hopefully get a straight forward answer.

Do please keep keep up the good work, some of us will always support it - a quality product or service is definitely worth paying.
I agree with post above, I do not mind and will always pay for what i find valuable. HOWEVER, CCC is great but at $40? at $20 i'm buying and smiling, I'm sorry but $40 makes it a different conversation. Especially when i read that the $40 keeps you in the parent version 4.1, 4.2 whatever the level is but at 5.0, boom upgrade price [probably at the $20 bucks]. Again, sorry. $40 then $20 every 12-18 months? Again, love CCC and builder should make money, but $0 to $40 with upgrade pricing after? steep.
rasputin666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store