Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:48 PM   #1
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

How to change icons in menu bar

How can I change the icons taht stay in the menu bar? I hear that you can change colors and even the icons. Perhpas the animations too, like whn Time Machine is running? Wich app does that? Thanks
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:59 PM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Which Icons do you mean, if it's the MenuExtras than it depends on if they are the built in System ones or 3rd party ones, explain and I will tell you, tell which MenuExtras Apps you want to change, I did with MenuMeters for instance, and they are located inside the corresponding Preference Pane bundle.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:58 AM   #3
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

Attachment 401193
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Which Icons do you mean, if it's the MenuExtras than it depends on if they are the built in System ones or 3rd party ones
I happen to want to change a 3rd party app. I am in the process of selecting a backup app, and I may want to change the menuExtra icon. So far, I use "WD Smartware" and I will post the icon so you can see. Its ugly, it is blue, not matching the other grey icons, and I hate the picture, everytime I look at it, looks like there is a guy getting a Lobotomy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	14
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	401194  
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:55 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
Attachment 401193

I happen to want to change a 3rd party app. I am in the process of selecting a backup app, and I may want to change the menuExtra icon. So far, I use "WD Smartware" and I will post the icon so you can see. Its ugly, it is blue, not matching the other grey icons, and I hate the picture, everytime I look at it, looks like there is a guy getting a Lobotomy
Agree, it's glossy Windows ugly Icon.
It's too big for a fast download for me otherwise I would look into it where all is installed, it's only 26 MB but I am over my limit and have 128 KB connection at the moment.

But, in the last post you don't actually say what you want, yes change the Icon, the Icon is normally in the App bundle and if you right click on the App it will show you "show Contents, normally the Icon is in Contents/Resources.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Downloaded it ( took 45 minutes), now, it is an installer but not a .pkg installer, so I looked inside and there is a zip file inside, unzipped it and there's the App, some Extensions a bundle and Preference pane amongst some others, inside the Application I found another Zip!!! with even more files.

But, as I expected the files you want to edit are in the Application itself and the Preference Pane.

So, look inside both of these and you are good to go.
If you need anything else ask.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion