Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Sleepy01
macrumors member

I don't get the Whole Samsung SSD, Toshiba, LG, AUO

I don't get the point about people complaining about getting Toshiba SSD, LG panes etc....

I ran across a few thread about the complaints. I just checked a new Air and it has a Toshiba SSD and a AUO screen (never even heard of AUO before) and guess what it boots up in 11 seconds and the screen looks fine.

Anyway it's all good.
Sleepy01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2
buysp
macrumors 6502

The majority of owners wouldn't care less.
Macrumors will have a higher concentration of owners that will want to drill down to that level of detail.
Some people think this site is for whingers
buysp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

You don't get why people care about getting LG panels, for example? On rMBP, most panels that show image retention after some time are LG's. Why would I care to know, you ask? Still need an answer?

If this is only about Airs, I am sorry.
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Sleepy01
macrumors member

No need to be sorry.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 03:30 AM   #5
seveej
macrumors 6502a

While I partially agree with the OP (the discussion is somewhat out of proportion) there's a valid point in these complaints:

Apple sells a specific model as if all machines of that model would be equal - as if they all had components of comparable quality. They don't.

Whether you are interested enough to find out the maker of your SSD or LCD panel or not, the difference may be noticeable. You might suddenly find your classmate's/sibling's (nominally identical) machine to be a lot better/worse than your own.

I admit the problem is not easy to quantify, so the following analogy will be troubled, but nevertheless: Say you'd like to buy a bag of peas. On average each bag contains 1000 peas and you assume there's no significant variance. You get your bag, you count your peas and you end up fifty peas short. Then you start googling and find out that the average is based on two inherently different sets of bags (some with 950, others with 1050 peas) being sold as if there was no difference. Wouldn't you be annoyed?

RGDS,
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Mikey7c8
macrumors regular

I'm not sure about the panel - though i think that's covered above - but on the SSD side it'll make a noticeable difference if you use drive encryption. Otherwise, probably not.

If you're someone who prefers to use the encryption, you don't want the Toshiba SSD that's for sure. Most people don't tho
Mikey7c8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:46 AM   #7
77slevin
macrumors member

I came across a topic yesterday that spoke of the difference between LG and Samsung LCD's. Someone posted a guide how you could check which type of screen you have. Turns out I have an LG in my Air. Never noticed anything wrong with it so I guess I'm not observant enough or I'm not too picky.
2012 i7 2,6GHz Mac Mini 16GB 256GB
77slevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:34 PM   #8
troy14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77slevin View Post
I came across a topic yesterday that spoke of the difference between LG and Samsung LCD's. Someone posted a guide how you could check which type of screen you have. Turns out I have an LG in my Air. Never noticed anything wrong with it so I guess I'm not observant enough or I'm not too picky.
If someone said here i'll sell you both of these computers for the same price, say, $1,000. They both are good but this one on the right is a little bit faster...

Which one would you pick?

Now if someone said, you can have either of these laptops for $1,000 (and they were both brand new / identical), it wouldn't matter which one you picked would it?

Now what if you picked the one on left and your friend picked the one on the right. You both went to starbucks to show off these fancy new computers. You find out that his is quite a bit faster, and maybe the screen looks a lot better too.

Would you be a little jealous, better yet - if there was a way you could get the better one, would you?
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:41 PM   #9
77slevin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy14 View Post

Which one would you pick?
Read my posting again. I'm talking about LCD's. Speed has nothing to do when it comes to being a Samsung or an LG. I did not comment on Airs sold with different brands of SSD.
2012 i7 2,6GHz Mac Mini 16GB 256GB
77slevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:43 PM   #10
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

The SSD speed difference is measurable, NOT noticeable. These are 2 very different things.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:31 PM   #11
troy14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Read my posting again. I'm talking about LCD's. Speed has nothing to do when it comes to being a Samsung or an LG. I did not comment on Airs sold with different brands of SSD.
oops sorry! I quoted the wrong person
troy14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:20 PM   #12
Sleepy01
macrumors member

The screen differences can be calibrated out
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:38 AM   #13
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You should add the custom LCD profile that was created by a MR member for LG panels. I just received a 13" with the LG panel, which I felt looked awfully washed out right out of the box. Upon adding and switching to this custom profile, the LCD looks much better. I intend to work on AE, PS projects on it (not finalize) and I'm more than happy with the quality.

I'd link to the thread with the profile if I weren't on my phone. Just do a google search for "MacBook air LG LCD" and you'll see a few hits that have the profile linked.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy01 View Post
I don't get the point about people complaining about getting Toshiba SSD, LG panes etc....
Just because some ppl can tell between a Chateau Lafit vs a Bordeaux and you can't...

I can't either. Must be very stressful to live with such discriminating taste.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:59 PM   #15
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Just because some ppl can tell between a Chateau Lafit vs a Bordeaux and you can't...

Errr… a Lafite is a Bordeux…
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:21 PM   #16
Sleepy01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post

I must not be cultured. My Toshiba SSD boots up in 11 seconds
Old Mar 9, 2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
I admit the problem is not easy to quantify, so the following analogy will be troubled, but nevertheless: Say you'd like to buy a bag of peas. On average each bag contains 1000 peas and you assume there's no significant variance. You get your bag, you count your peas and you end up fifty peas short. Then you start googling and find out that the average is based on two inherently different sets of bags (some with 950, others with 1050 peas) being sold as if there was no difference. Wouldn't you be annoyed?

RGDS,
Actually, your argument is flawed. If Apple sold a MacBook pro with "256GB" storage - some of which had 266, some had 246, then your analogy might work. But they don't.

If you wanted to model this situation around peas - then better arguments might be:

- The peas in my brother's bag are slightly greener
- My mother's peas cook 5 seconds faster

But at the end of the day - they're still peas.

Nowhere does Apple advertise what speed SSD is in the machines. Nor to they state anything about the panel other than its resolution.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:22 AM   #18
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
Actually, your argument is flawed. If Apple sold a MacBook pro with "256GB" storage - some of which had 266, some had 246, then your analogy might work. But they don't.

If you wanted to model this situation around peas - then better arguments might be:
SNIP.
I also wrote (emphasis added):

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
Whether you are interested enough to find out the maker of your SSD or LCD panel or not, the difference may be noticeable. You might suddenly find your classmate's/sibling's (nominally identical) machine to be a lot better/worse than your own.

I admit the problem is not easy to quantify, so the following analogy will be troubled, but nevertheless:
But thank you for a perfect example of selective quoting.

RGDS,
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air