Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Hi I am trying to backup my files to my external hard drive and I'm using Target mode on my PPC iMac G4 through an old Titanium Powerbook to my external hard drive and it said "Can't Copy Files because some are BUSY".

Other than trying to compress the files and then try and copy over what else can I do? The folder is very large with many files none are apps or system files. Is there a way to Stop files from being BUSY?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Linda

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
I wasn't trying to make a bootable disc I just want to back up all my files before I wipe the HD but there must be some kind of running file on the folder which stops the copy and says a file is busy and it can't copy. I always thought a Target mode Apple is not running via software.

I don't have the original discs yet I'm actually looking for the original discs now. I think I found a set on ebay.

Will that software mentioned help me copy my files as a backup or does it make disc images? I just want to copy a large folder.

Linda

^^^ This.

If you have any intent of having a bootable backup at all, you need to clone the drive. Simply copying everything over won't work.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I wasn't trying to make a bootable disc I just want to back up all my files before I wipe the HD but there must be some kind of running file on the folder which stops the copy and says a file is busy and it can't copy. I always thought a Target mode Apple is not running via software.

I don't have the original discs yet I'm actually looking for the original discs now. I think I found a set on ebay.

Will that software mentioned help me copy my files as a backup or does it make disc images? I just want to copy a large folder.

Linda

It will let you select what folder/files to copy and it will not create a disk image, it is just a plain 1:1 copy.

Grunthaner

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
OMG Copy Cloner worked wonderfully, thanks guys you're the BEST!!!!!!!
Linda

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.