Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nocommenttt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
I have been a big fan of MBA since it came out, but never got one since my current laptop still works. But it's starting to wear out pretty seriously, so I've been contemplating getting a MBA. When I went to the store and played around with different models, I got really hooked on the display of rMBP. Looking after MBA's display after I looked at rMBP I felt like I was blind. But I don't really like or need a MBP, and I just love the portability of 11" MBA. Some rumor says 2013 MBA will have retina some says otherwise. I was just wondering what you guys think. Thank you!! Much appreciated.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Barring.....

a complete redesign, seems to me not likely, based in processor power, screen manufacturing and GPU needed to drive/make the retina displays. But certainly Apple can prove me wrong and I will be happy so.

:):apple:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Doubtful

Possibly, but I also think it's doubtful.

The MBA already sacrifices a bit of battery life and GPU power to fit in the enclosure, and its specs seem to be about 2-3 cycles behind its sibling MBP.

I would think the iPad Mini would go retina first, then the MBA. So maybe 2014?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have been a big fan of MBA since it came out, but never got one since my current laptop still works. But it's starting to wear out pretty seriously, so I've been contemplating getting a MBA. When I went to the store and played around with different models, I got really hooked on the display of rMBP. Looking after MBA's display after I looked at rMBP I felt like I was blind. But I don't really like or need a MBP, and I just love the portability of 11" MBA. Some rumor says 2013 MBA will have retina some says otherwise. I was just wondering what you guys think. Thank you!! Much appreciated.

i doubt it. maybe the 13 but i wouldn't think the 11 would.
remember that it was a while before the 13" rmbp became available....

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
I don't think it's likely, it would eat too much power.

I personally would much prefer not having retina and keeping any extra battery time.

I would have probably bought the macbook pro retina if it came in a non-retina version with extended battery life.

nocommenttt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Many thanks, everyone.

Well one possibility is that the new MBA will come with Haswell, which focuses on the improvements of energy consumption. Do you guys think that the improvements would be large enough to offset the extra consumption of a 11" retina screen?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Ok....

but power comsuption is only one of the trifecta, IMO. Need better GPU and good manufacturing process for the Retina screens also.

:):apple:

ThatJester

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Why do you want a Retina display?

Because, speaking for myself, the current screen is pretty bad. I wouldn't say it's terrible but I do notice a significant difference compared to the IPS monitor I use at work. The black "fuzz" at the bottom is a major annoyance too... Not looking for something like a retina display in this thing but agree with the need for an update of some sort to the screen.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I would say 50/50

I honestly think they could make one right now but its just the battery preventing them from doing so. I mean look at the increase in size they did for the 13 and 15. That sort of increase would make the Air not an Air...

BluePhilG

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
There already is a Retina 13" MBA... But because of the size of the battery required its called a Macbook Pro :p

nocommenttt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Because, speaking for myself, the current screen is pretty bad. I wouldn't say it's terrible but I do notice a significant difference compared to the IPS monitor I use at work. The black "fuzz" at the bottom is a major annoyance too... Not looking for something like a retina display in this thing but agree with the need for an update of some sort to the screen.

Exactly. Plus the biggest thing(to me) is, just like between an iphone and an iPad, since the 11" MBA is smaller than the rest of the laptops, you tend to get closer, and the display would seem blurrier in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.