Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a media event today, Facebook announced significant changes to the way its signature News Feed is displayed to users on desktop, smartphones and tablets. The company has increased the size of shared images and video content, while also introducing several different sub feeds to allow readers to focus on certain content like photos, music, or pages you like. In addition, the newsfeed will have the same look and feel where its accessed, whether across the desktop, smartphone or tablet.
devices-1.jpg
Today we're announcing a new version of Facebook designed to reduce clutter and focus more on stories from the people you care about. You see all the stories you saw in your News Feed before, but with a fresh new look. We've completely rebuilt each story to be much more vibrant and colorful and highlight the content that your friends are sharing. Photos, news articles, maps and events all look brighter and more beautiful.
Facebook is aiming to "give everyone in the world the best personalized newspaper we can," according to founder Mark Zuckerberg. Users can sign up for a waiting list (scroll to the bottom) to get early access to the improved News Feed on the desktop, while smartphone and tablet versions will be rolling out over the next several weeks. Note: MacRumors readers can "Like" MacRumors on Facebook to get our news updates in your Facebook feed.

Article Link: Facebook Updates News Feed With Inspiration from Mobile Devices, Rolling Out Over Several Weeks

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Joined the waiting list on this as soon as the page went live but I know they won't roll it out to me for a few months.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

In a media event today, Facebook announced significant changes to the way its signature News Feed is displayed to users on desktop, smartphones and tablets.

The company has increased the size of shared images and video content, while also introducing several different sub feeds to allow readers to focus on certain content like photos, music, or pages you like. In addition, the newsfeed will have the same look and feel where its accessed, whether across the desktop, smartphone or tablet.

ImageYouTube: video
Facebook is aiming to "give everyone in the world the best personalized newspaper we can," according to founder Mark Zuckerberg. Users can sign up for a waiting list (scroll to the bottom) to get early access to the improved News Feed on the desktop, while smartphone and tablet versions will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Note: MacRumors readers can "Like" MacRumors on Facebook to get our news updates in your Facebook feed.

Article Link: Facebook Updates Newsfeed With Inspiration from Mobile Devices, Rolling Out Over Several Weeks

Facebook looks like it was designed by coders, not designers. Pretty ugly.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
I want my mobile on my mobile, and my desktop on my desktop, not my mobile on my desktop. But with that said, people will complain about this for a couple of weeks then eventually get used to it and want to go back to it when they release another one and the trend will continue.

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
Best redesign they've done yet. Lest we forget they can't be tooooo radical, people will *still* go ape **** over this. I think it looks far more streamlined, consistent, easier to use, and they've *finally* ditched those hideous pixel icons at last.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Is it me, or could they find people that were more attractive and less with a "I'm trying not to **** my pants while I talk in front of this camera" look on their faces?

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
What's with all the Facebook hate in this community? If you don't use it, then fine, but it kind of throws me off to see so many people going out of their way to slam it.

Will you help me with my crop? I will be harvesting soon and need help! Oh, and I just found a little fish. Poor little fish!
This garbage was driving me up the wall until I found the way to delete my facebook account for good.

Facebook is a leech business that steals personal information from unsuspecting suckers.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
OMG all of the facebook haters now. The whole trend of the internet jumping on hating things ( hipsters, facebook, apple, nickel back, etc. ) is so pathetic. Grow up you kids. Facebook is great if you have actual family and friends. If not go use G+.

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
What's with all the Facebook hate in this community? If you don't use it, then fine, but it kind of throws me off to see so many people going out of their way to slam it.

I feel the same. Just the usual opinionated BS. I design websites, apps, and UI. Even if you hate Facebook, this is still interesting to some people.

Additionally, many people seem to expect mega radical incredible mind-blowing redesigns. Wake up... when you have that many users, and it is (despite what some feel) a big part of alot of user's daily routine, you have to tread very cautiously in terms of design and UI.

I stand by what I say in my post above, this is a good redesign.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
OMG all of the facebook haters now. The whole trend of the internet jumping on hating things ( hipsters, facebook, apple, nickel back, etc. ) is so pathetic. Grow up you kids. Facebook is great if you have actual family and friends. If not go use G+.

Yep, only praise and support is allowed here! There can't possibly be legitimate criticisms of Facebook.

Some of us use Facebook and still have things we don't like about it.

mach

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Will you help me with my crop? I will be harvesting soon and need help! Oh, and I just found a little fish. Poor little fish!
This garbage was driving me up the wall until I found the way to delete my facebook account for good.

Facebook is a leech business that steals personal information from unsuspecting suckers.

Do you use any Google products? Facebook is a platform for you to share with your friends, a completely voluntary action. Google strongarms its products into a dominant position, disguising their usefulness as a method of, to use your words, 'steal personal information from unsuspecting suckers.'

Not saying I dislike Google as I don't, and I do find many of their products superior to most of their alternatives. Many people feel the same way and that's what keeps them locked in. But that is their strategy.

People need to stop using the same tired, hypocritical argument against Facebook but praising Google and Google+ as an alternative when they're in the exact same business.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Enough of the "we don't actually have the product that we're hyping at the moment, but if you join a waiting list, we'll eventually get back to you" model.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Yep, only praise and support is allowed here! There can't possibly be legitimate criticisms of Facebook.

Some of us use Facebook and still have things we don't like about it.

I don't think they're saying you can't have opinions or dislike features. I surely am not. I think they're referring to the typical "If you use FB you're a loser..." statements. If you check out some other sites, like Engadget, posters are already arguing about how it's a Google + rip-off, who still uses FB except Tweeners, etc...

Just gets old...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.