Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
AustinMuise
macrumors newbie

MacBook Air 2011 64GB SDD Upgrade?

I just got a MacBook Air and I didn't think it was going to be a problem because I have other things I keep my information on like external hard drive.

I was wondering if there was any website that offered cloud storage that would be a good companon to order?

Or if I'd be better off just sticking with my 1.5Tb external HDD.

I also own a iPad, iPhone, Mac Mini and iMac so if I can store any information on those wirelessly or anything like that just let me know.

I've done a lot of research on the topic and can't really find to much more solutions than a external HDD.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 05:24 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Post About SSD upgrades....

OWC make an array of options for Airs. But having said that, you can use one internal SSD with mini SATA of your choice. Samsung, Crucial and even Intel makes the most sucessful/used. Upside is the price per unit of storage still is more expensive than an external one. Pro in that option is that you can get a good chunk of the maximum speed in this interfase (6 Gb/s). More speed is meaningful because it does a smoother run in a computer. Better access/boot times. But, in a budget, is hard to beat to an external HDD. Can get even a Thundebolt one with the right time and search. (faster external theoretically)

Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:46 PM   #3
AustinMuise
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
OWC make an array of options for Airs. But having said that, you can use one internal SSD with mini SATA of your choice. Samsung, Crucial and even Intel makes the most sucessful/used. Upside is the price per unit of storage still is more expensive than an external one. Pro in that option is that you can get a good chunk of the maximum speed in this interfase (6 Gb/s). More speed is meaningful because it does a smoother run in a computer. Better access/boot times. But, in a budget, is hard to beat to an external HDD. Can get even a Thundebolt one with the right time and search. (faster external theoretically)

Thanks for the information, I was also looking at that option but I heard upgrading the SSD in these things can be a huge pain in the arse. Don't really want to mess with anything on the inside unless I absolutely have to.

And I'm more looking for a cheap alternative for easy gigs of storage. Is there anything I could do that would be a bit on the cheap side and accomplish that? Not looking for any lightning fast speeds.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:17 AM   #4
77slevin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMuise View Post
Thanks for the information, I was also looking at that option but I heard upgrading the SSD in these things can be a huge pain in the arse. Don't really want to mess with anything on the inside unless I absolutely have to.

And I'm more looking for a cheap alternative for easy gigs of storage. Is there anything I could do that would be a bit on the cheap side and accomplish that? Not looking for any lightning fast speeds.
It's a mixed experience. I did last week in my 13" Air, went from 120GB to an OWC 240GB and had absolutely no problems. Other people complain that the OWC drive doesn't fit in the SSD space. When you buy the additional OWC Envoy you can keep using your original drive as external disk with USB3 speeds. (Also compatible with USB 2.0)
2012 i7 2,6GHz Mac Mini 16GB 256GB
77slevin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Mobile923
macrumors 6502

How about a really tiny USB Flash drive?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+...0fit&cp=1&lp=3
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:52 AM   #6
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77slevin View Post
It's a mixed experience. I did last week in my 13" Air, went from 120GB to an OWC 240GB and had absolutely no problems. Other people complain that the OWC drive doesn't fit in the SSD space. When you buy the additional OWC Envoy you can keep using your original drive as external disk with USB3 speeds. (Also compatible with USB 2.0)
I believe OWC have fixed that issue now.

However, OWC's support has gone downhill recently. There have been a few times they've publicly argued with customers in forums, and people have had trouble with returns.

Have you thought about using a NAS drive?
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air