Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

groupmelogo.png
GroupMe today updated their group chat app to version 4.1, adding a gallery view and a feature called Split, which allows users to split costs and collect money from their group.

The company detailed potential uses for the feature on its blog:
You can start a Split within any of your groups, just like you can attach a photo or a location. You bought concert tickets for everyone in the group? Attach a Split and get your money back right away, instead of waiting to get cash in person. Buying a group gift? Attach a Split with the total price, and with each person who chips in, the price per person will go down. Collect your money whenever you're ready.
groupmesplit.png

Although the person who creates the Split is not subject to any fees, contributors to the Split will have to pay a 4% fee plus $0.99, which covers credit card processing fees and a small GroupMe convenience charge. However, GroupMe is waiving the fees from today, March 7, until the end of SxSW Interactive on March 12.

GroupMe is a universal app that's available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: GroupMe Updates App With Ability to Split Costs and Collect Payments from Friends

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Split their example "Birthday Cake" 4 ways. The three people chipping in have to pay $45/4 * 1.04 + $0.99 = $11.25 * 1.04 + $0.99 = $12.69.

GroupMe will be collecting ($12.69 - $11.25) * 3 = $4.32 from this single example.

Each person will be spending 13% extra for the convenience of not having to remember to bring the right amount of money the next time they see whoever they owe.

I suppose as the person who others normally have to pay back, I would appreciate this...

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Without trying the app or completely reading the article, here's what I think a typical conversation is going to look like:

Person 1: "hey guys, lets split the cost of gas. what's $60.06 / 3? gee, math is too hard, hey I know, how about let's all download this app."
(3 minutes later)
Person 1: "k guys, I'm inviting you to this group, did you accept?"

Person 2: "nah, sec, hold on...k downloaded. Nah I didn't get your invitation."

Person 1: "hold on, let me invite you again"

Person 2: "ah, got it. k I accepted"

Person 1: "k so...how much was it again? Oh yeah, $60.06. So let me put that in and we'll split it"

Person 2: "got it, hold on sec, let me input my credit card information"

Person 1: "yeah me too, sec..."

(3 minutes later)

Person 2: "got it, k paying now...WTF $0.99 cents + 4% charge? screw that I'll just pay you $20"

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Without trying the app or completely reading the article, here's what I think a typical conversation is going to look like:

Except, lots of people use the app already for group messaging (it's primary purpose).

That's like saying that if Apple were to come up with a payment option for their iPhone, this is how I see it going.

Store #1: That will be $49.95, you can pay by iPhone, or Credit Card or Cash?
Customer: iPhone? Ok, hang on.
...drives to Verizon...
Customer: I'd like to sign up for an iPhone
...30 minutes later....
...customer drives back to Store #1....
Customer: Here, I have an iPhone, can I pay?
Store #1: Who are you?

arn

(that said, the fees are high and would probably stop me from using it for that purpose)

Last edited:

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Except, lots of people use the app already for group messaging (it's primary purpose).

That's like saying that if Apple were to come up with a payment option for their iPhone, this is how I see it going.

Store #1: That will be $49.95, you can pay by iPhone, or Credit Card or Cash?
Customer: iPhone? Ok, hang on.
...drives to Verizon...
Customer: I'd like to sign up for an iPhone
...30 minutes later....
...customer drives back to Store #1....
Customer: Here, I have an iPhone, can I pay?
Store #1: Who are you?

arn

(that said, the fees are high and would probably stop me from using it for that purpose)

true. However, even if everyone had groupme, there's still the painful process of entering billing information the first time round which people wouldn't want to do.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Yuck. 4% fee...?

Venmo.

It's free. P2P payments. You can even pay a phone number and they can pick up the money later.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
This is ridiculous. I thought Square was too expensive. They only charge 2.75%. These guys want to charge $.99 + 4%. That's nuts!

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
4% + 0.99 cents? I don't know about most of you but that's just a bit too much. I'd rather just do the math and round up or down to whole dollar...

Ian8

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
This could be amazingly convenient, but the fixed fee is a dealbreaker. I split bills tons of times with friends in the past but usually payed $5-20. These small amounts make an entire $1 completely unjustifiable. i'd like to know how much of the fee is imposed on them and how much they think they deserve for 'convenience'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.