Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
iOS Devices Still Account for Vast Majority of In-Flight Internet Use




Infographics released by in-flight Wi-Fi service Gogo (via CNET) reveal that iOS devices continue to dominate customer use with an 84% share, although Android use has grown significantly in the last two years.

As further evidence of the post-PC trend, the majority of access - though only just - is on tablets, accounting for 35% of usage compared to 33% for laptops. When it comes to iOS devices, iPads are used more often than iPhones.

Web-browsing is the top activity for Gogo users, with email, social networking, news and weather completing the top five slots.

Gogo is available on*Air Canada, Air Tran, Alaskan Airlines, American Airlines, Delta, Frontier, United, US Airways, and Virgin America, with over 1,500 commercial airplanes and over 5,000 business jets equipped for the service.

Article Link: iOS Devices Still Account for Vast Majority of In-Flight Internet Use
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:41 AM   #2
iPusch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York
Most Airlines do not even support wifi on flight...
That's the only reason I don't use my iPhone / iPad that much up there^^
iPusch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
urbanslaughter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Could they add a few more shades of blue to those charts? Those are some of the worst charts I've ever seen. I had to turn the contrast up to eleven just so I could read them.
urbanslaughter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
If I would be so bold, strong evidence iOS is preferred device for business, power users, and smartly budgeted people.

and people who get Android tend to be purchased by those who do not have funds (and by extension purchase airline Wi-Fi)
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
ProVideo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
Could they add a few more shades of blue to those charts?
ProVideo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
MrXiro
macrumors 68020
 
MrXiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Makes sense. Many iPhone/iPad users are usually the wealthier, trendier and business types that have the disposable income to spend on Wifi in flight or even fly often enough where they would bother using it.

As not to sound like an elitist, I do not fit in this category of Apple device user.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
If I would be so bold, strong evidence iOS is preferred device for business, power users, and smartly budgeted people.

and people who get Android tend to be purchased by those who do not have funds (and by extension purchase airline Wi-Fi)
I'm sure you'll get attacked eventually by someone who will take your comment personally.
__________________
Whole lotta Apples, very little $.

Last edited by MrXiro; Mar 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM.
MrXiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a
 
szw-mapple fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanslaughter View Post
Could they add a few more shades of blue to those charts? Those are some of the worst charts I've ever seen. I had to turn the contrast up to eleven just so I could read them.
They are OK. I've seen worse.
szw-mapple fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post

I'm sure you'll get attacked eventually by someone who will take your comment personally.
They they should not get an Android if they are ashamed of it.

I certainly did not say all of them are like that, just tend to be.
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:13 AM   #9
drewface
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
That's because Android users don't like to pay for anything
drewface is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #10
jayducharme
macrumors 68000
 
jayducharme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The thick of it
Poor Windows ... it's at just .006%. It will be interesting to see whether Blackberry adds significantly to its .01% share next year, when their new devices will be in use. After all, as other pointed out, the survey is skewed toward business users and Blackberry needs to regain that segment.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
So what's the breakdown between OS X and Windows (and Linux?) They show the most popular browsers as being Safari, IE, Chrome, and FF in the full article, but then fail to provide percentages for them.
__________________
Battery Status - On the Mac App Store
The only app that'll estimate when your wireless devices will need their batteries changed.
Including the ones paired with other Macs on your network.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816
 
Drunken Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewface View Post
That's because Android users don't like to pay for anything
Decent burn.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:50 AM   #13
spb3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
so how much of the browsing information are they tracking? privacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Web-browsing is the top activity for Gogo users, with email, social networking, news and weather completing the top five slots.
spb3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:57 AM   #14
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewface View Post
That's because Android users don't like to pay for anything
'Nuff said.

__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:13 AM   #15
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I've got a theory about this are you ready ? Android users brag so much about themes and launchers because that's all they ever do on them , who would want to save their credit card details on a phone that's sneezes malware ?
And
I'm curious to hear from someone who switched ecosystems ! I tried it and had to go back 2 weeks later
Ventilatedbrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #16
ptb42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
Most Airlines do not even support wifi on flight...
That's the only reason I don't use my iPhone / iPad that much up there^^
United, Southwest, American, Delta, and US Air have inflight WiFi. Continental is the only one among the "majors" that doesn't -- although that should be changing soon, if it hasn't already started.

The deployment is uneven, though. The individual plane has to be equipped, and I think they are doing it during scheduled major maintenance. I fly American most of the time, and it has gone from "occasionally available" to "almost always". For a while, I even subscribed monthly because every plane I was flying had it.

I typically use the inflight WiFi for following my flight with FlightAware, and exchanging iMessages with a handful of people. I occasionally use it for email and browsing, but I'm more likely to buy a book on Amazon if I don't have something to read. The files are typically moderate in size, and download in 10-15 seconds.
ptb42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:29 AM   #17
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Its amazing how many Android devices have reportedly shipped but any sort of useful data coming back shows that nobody is using them.

Interesting.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:53 AM   #18
iPusch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manhattan, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptb42 View Post
United, Southwest, American, Delta, and US Air have inflight WiFi. Continental is the only one among the "majors" that doesn't -- although that should be changing soon, if it hasn't already started.

The deployment is uneven, though. The individual plane has to be equipped, and I think they are doing it during scheduled major maintenance. I fly American most of the time, and it has gone from "occasionally available" to "almost always". For a while, I even subscribed monthly because every plane I was flying had it.

I typically use the inflight WiFi for following my flight with FlightAware, and exchanging iMessages with a handful of people. I occasionally use it for email and browsing, but I'm more likely to buy a book on Amazon if I don't have something to read. The files are typically moderate in size, and download in 10-15 seconds.
I only know of wifi for additional charge...
Is yours free at all? All inclusive^^
iPusch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:09 PM   #19
duaneu
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bellevue, WA
It's Alaska Airlines, not Alaskan.
duaneu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:00 PM   #20
tongxinshe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Android users are more cost-efficient aware. Inflight Wifi is as overpriced as international roaming.
tongxinshe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:44 PM   #21
ptb42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
I only know of wifi for additional charge...
Is yours free at all? All inclusive^^
No, it hasn't been free on American since it was first being deployed. At that time, you could get a coupon code for a free flight. But, I haven't seen an offer for a while, if you don't count the email I just got to "spin" for a chance to win a Gogo coupon code.

I read that their uptake rate was still pretty low. It was only 7% in 2011, and they were hoping for 10% in 2012. Unfortunately, that is still well below the break-even point purported to be at 20%. Personally, I think they would do better if they lowered prices: the increased volume would more than offset the lower price. But, one of the reasons I cancelled my monthly subscription is they RAISED it at the beginning of the year.
ptb42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 08:58 AM   #22
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030
 
ReallyBigFeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Android owners, overall, are less affluent with smaller disposable income. They won't be flying as much as their jobs and lifestyle keep them from doing so. And those that do likely don't realize inflight wireless is even available, or can't afford the fee for same, small as it is.

Simple economics really. No surprises.
__________________
13.3" MBA 15" MBP Retina Verizon iPhone 5 32gb iPad 3 64g WiFi
ReallyBigFeet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:27 PM   #23
deannnnn
macrumors 68000
 
deannnnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City & South Florida
I hate the "post-PC" term. Tablets become more like PCs every day, so eventually they will essentially be the same thing. But that just means that the tablet is becoming the PC, not that the PC is going away. And even so, traditional desktop computing will always be relevant even if it is less popular.
__________________
MacBook Pro (Retina) / iPhone 5S
deannnnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:33 PM   #24
Eric E. Schmidt
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Calif
this reminds me; i need faster wifi in my gulfstream.
Eric E. Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #25
turtlez
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
this is hilarious. Android, cheap quality and minimal existence in premium places.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
I hate the "post-PC" term. Tablets become more like PCs every day, so eventually they will essentially be the same thing. But that just means that the tablet is becoming the PC, not that the PC is going away. And even so, traditional desktop computing will always be relevant even if it is less popular.
The term will die out. People just use it at the moment because there is a clear distinction between tablet and PC for now. Just an easy way of showing people where the future is going.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyBigFeet View Post
Android owners, overall, are less affluent with smaller disposable income. They won't be flying as much as their jobs and lifestyle keep them from doing so. And those that do likely don't realize inflight wireless is even available, or can't afford the fee for same, small as it is.

Simple economics really. No surprises.
or they are too busy spending hours customising their home screen only to change it again next week. They remind me of the people who get silly little tattoos on their ankle, like a heart or a butterfly then regret it a year later.
turtlez is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC