Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:43 AM   #1
PAPO
macrumors 6502

Marantz SR7007

Just got mine 2 days ago and I have a few things to say/ ask...

1) I love it, it's spectacular :P

2) mine has these plastic vents clipped on top of the receiver's metal vents, and I can't find anything ANYWHERE about them, and I'm getting a little confused as to the reason for their existence, they don't look like they are there just to stop it from getting scratched in transit, but they don't seem like they could have any other purpose...

3) the speaker terminals are too damn close together and it makes it hard get the speaker cable in (but it's really a one time problem)

4) the remote wont control my Foxtel box (cable) the code is in the manual but it doesn't work :/ (but I hardly used this with my old receivers remote anyway)

5) did I mention I love it? :P

6) lists are fun but main point; see "2"
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Foxtel 0906
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3
PAPO
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Foxtel 0906
that's not the one in the manual, but the remote doesn't seem to like it...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
waw74
macrumors 68020

3. That's what banana plugs are for.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:27 AM   #5
PAPO
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
3. That's what banana plugs are for.
but then I have to pull off the screw bits... right?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:31 AM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPO View Post
but then I have to pull off the screw bits... right?
No, normally not, you can use these terminals in two ways.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:44 AM   #7
PAPO
macrumors 6502

Might have to look into it should I ever re arange them, but next is a UD7007, then I'm doing Speakers so I's set for about 3 years unless we move/ renovate...

but the main reason I made this thread was for the plastic on top, I can't seem to figure out what it's for, so I can't decide weather to take it off or not
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:48 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Might have to look into it should I ever re arange them, but next is a UD7007, then I'm doing Speakers so I's set for about 3 years unless we move/ renovate...

but the main reason I made this thread was for the plastic on top, I can't seem to figure out what it's for, so I can't decide weather to take it off or not
Post a Picture here!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:07 AM   #9
PAPO
macrumors 6502

was just starting to think I might need to give a pic :P

hope this works :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	401471  
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:11 AM   #10
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
was just starting to think I might need to give a pic :P

hope this works :P
Can you please make it a bit smaller (as in MB), I am on a limited internet connection, past my max and it's 128 KB speed only.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:26 AM   #11
PAPO
macrumors 6502

scaled this one to 60% hope that's enough, 'cause it's not that easy to see in the photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60 percent.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	401473  
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:39 AM   #12
apolkowski
macrumors member

Main has these little plastic clips too. I left them there.
apolkowski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:49 AM   #13
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
scaled this one to 60% hope that's enough, 'cause it's not that easy to see in the photo
Wasn't any better, what I means is, and that's why I added MB, is the file is too big for me to download, my internet allows me 128KB but at 2 MB it gets stuck.
If you have a JPG you can easily set the quality to 50% without loosing much, it makes the picture something like 300-400 KB.

Anyhow, I used a download manager and had a look at the picture.

Those clips are sometimes used to hold something inside, it's a cheap way to do so instead of studs or whatever, but, it seems there's nothing attached to it on the inside and removing them would not harm anything it seems.

On my job we sometimes use similar techniques.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:53 AM   #14
PAPO
macrumors 6502

it's not the clips themselves, but the plastic it is holding on top, if you take a look further up the picture you'll see it's on top of the vents right across the front half of the amp
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:04 AM   #15
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
it's not the clips themselves, but the plastic it is holding on top, if you take a look further up the picture you'll see it's on top of the vents right across the front half of the amp
Give me 5-10 minutes, I am doing something in photoshop with it, it crashes on my Mini, have to use my old Laptop, back in a 10 minutes.

Quick Photoshop, shabby job though.

In the below screenshot you see several colours, green are the clips, the red is the line separating two plates, these clips are needed to hold these plates on the Marantz, could be with screws (Blue) or just clips.

I think it's not a nice solution, clearly not made by Apple, does this mean it's inferior, by no means but the engineers should have chosen a nicer way to attach these plates, or whatever they are called.

This is my assessment, might be different but I think I am right so don't remove them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clips.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	401474  

Last edited by justperry; Mar 9, 2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:09 AM   #16
apolkowski
macrumors member

You are right. I didn't even notice it before. It looks as an extra layer. Maybe it is there to cover surface which potentially gets hot?
apolkowski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:18 AM   #17
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolkowski View Post
You are right. I didn't even notice it before. It looks as an extra layer. Maybe it is there to cover surface which potentially gets hot?
Just updated last post with picture.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:27 AM   #18
PAPO
macrumors 6502

you're seeing things with the blue, nothing there, must just be the pic, I'm just trying to determine if I take the plastic plates off or not... screw it I'm taking them off if something goes bang I'll let you know...
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:30 AM   #19
justperry
macrumors 603

Quote:
you're seeing things with the blue, nothing there, must just be the pic, I'm just trying to determine if I take the plastic plates off or not... screw it I'm taking them off if something goes bang I'll let you know...
I know there's nothing there on the outside, there might be on the inside but it's most likely clipped on.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:07 AM   #20
jdag
macrumors regular

Do yourself a HUGE favor and get banana plugs for both the receiver end and the speaker end. They are sooooooooooo much easier to deal with than trying to wire directly to the receiver or speakers.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...d=banana+plugs
jdag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:20 AM   #21
PAPO
macrumors 6502

I have no problem with feeding the wire in and screwing the terminal down, the problem was the terminals are too close to gather, when I re do the speaker wire at the amp end next I'll get banana plugs, but I have no need for them at the speaker end, there's plenty of room there
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Just got mine 2 days ago and I have a few things to say/ ask...

1) I love it, it's spectacular :P

2) mine has these plastic vents clipped on top of the receiver's metal vents, and I can't find anything ANYWHERE about them, and I'm getting a little confused as to the reason for their existence, they don't look like they are there just to stop it from getting scratched in transit, but they don't seem like they could have any other purpose...

3) the speaker terminals are too damn close together and it makes it hard get the speaker cable in (but it's really a one time problem)

4) the remote wont control my Foxtel box (cable) the code is in the manual but it doesn't work :/ (but I hardly used this with my old receivers remote anyway)

5) did I mention I love it? :P

6) lists are fun but main point; see "2"
What speakers are you powering with this bad boy? Been thinking about the SR5007 for myself, and positive experiences by others using members of this family of AVRs is always reassuring.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:06 PM   #23
PAPO
macrumors 6502

for now, some Klipsh, I think I have F-20's at the front, S20 surrounds and B30 rears, not 100% though, they sounded good in the store and the guy gave us a great deal way back now, so I figured why not :P. but once I get my UD7007 I'll be looking for new speakers, so far I'm thinking Vaf Research, luckily the only outlet on earth is in my city
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:59 AM   #24
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Quote:
for now, some Klipsh, I think I have F-20's at the front, S20 surrounds and B30 rears, not 100% though, they sounded good in the store and the guy gave us a great deal way back now, so I figured why not :P. but once I get my UD7007 I'll be looking for new speakers, so far I'm thinking Vaf Research, luckily the only outlet on earth is in my city
Cool. Klipsch is definitely a solid choice for home theater use. I've got aset of RB51's that I started out in my theater, but have migrated to the bedroom for a 2 channel setup.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:30 AM   #25
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Could those plastic things be spacers to allow you to stack other components on top of the Marantz but still have airflow for cooling?
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater