Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So I've never used a dual monitor set up on OS X, I felt things like Mission Control made it less crucial than a Windows computer.

Recently though, I've needed to run Windows via Parallels for some college related classes. What I'm wondering though is: Is it possible to have Windows 7 run in full screen on 1 monitor and have the other one dedicated to OS X? So they're split apart.

I ask because I've heard people say OS X handles dual monitors strangely.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I ask because I've heard people say OS X handles dual monitors strangely.
There's not much as easy as having dual monitors on a Mac. Just connect a second monitor - and use it. The fine-tuning can be done through the Displays preference pane.

What I'm wondering though is: Is it possible to have Windows 7 run in full screen on 1 monitor and have the other one dedicated to OS X?

If you mean by "full screen" a screen filling window - yes, that works. I do that quite often. There is essentially no difference in having i. e. Safari screen filling on a second monitor or Parallels (with Windows).

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Recently though, I've needed to run Windows via Parallels for some college related classes. What I'm wondering though is: Is it possible to have Windows 7 run in full screen on 1 monitor and have the other one dedicated to OS X? So they're split apart.

I do this all the time on my iMac with an external monitor attached running Windows in a Parallels virtual machine. On my MacBook Pro (which doesn't have a second display) I use Mission Control to switch screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.